Tele pup adjustment?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by TNT, Dec 17, 2008.

1. TNT

TNT Active Member

Hey guys, this might be an easy one for you. How do you adjust the neck pup on a '52 RI lipstick-style neck pup? My guess is that it attaches to the body rather than the pickguard. The neck pup is much quieter and muddy sounding compared to the bridge pup and the neck pup is pretty low.

Also would shielding the CC and underside of the pickguard quieten the hum somewhat? Through the wireless it has a hum that is pretty loud.

This is my first Fender so please bear with me. :oops:

2. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

One of the things that I love about Teles is how easy they are to work on. Just take the screws out of the pickguard and you can slide it right out under the strings. You don't have to loosen the strings or anything! From there, you'll see how the pickup is attached to the body (two easy screws). I wish all electric guitars were as accessible as Teles.

Good luck!

3. MauritsP

MauritsP Member

I'd be careful with shielding the underside of the pickguard. I did that to my Tele and it causedstatic type crackling noises when I rub the guard, even when I'd placed some fingers on the guard while playing and moving them around a wee bit.

And Kevy is right about removing the guard. You could also drill 2 holes through the guard to mount it on there but I wouldn't as you'd need new screws and once you've adjusted it it'll stay put. So just keep the guard of for a bit while you're finetuning the height.

4. TNT

TNT Active Member

Thanks guys! It sounds easier than I thought which is a good thing. I was wondering if I had to take the strings off to adjust the pickup which would be a PIA to guess the pup height but I'm glad I don't. It ain't Gibson easy but it should be easy enough. :)