Tell Him He's Dreamin'

Discussion in 'General Music' started by plankton, Apr 17, 2019.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

SG standard likes this.
  2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Great idea... :)

Not a crazy price, but the strangest description I've read on Gumtree.

There's a dealer in the UK with a rare limited run Les Paul from the 80s, he keeps trying to sell it for '57 burst money, but of course it doesn't sell. I guess he's willing to wait. The trouble is, over the years he's let 'select' customers play it (i.e. people who were interested, but didn't want it after playing it!), and now the gold hardware is looking worn. So now it doesn't even look like the 'new old stock' condition he still thinks it's in. I'll post a link next time I see it.

plankton likes this.
  3. plankton

That's hilarious, thanks!

I guarantee nobody who knows that guy well ever asks him a question unless they really have to, and they've got a spare 20 minutes. :rofl:

SG standard likes this.
  4. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I don't know why but for some reason that reminds me of how for a long time people sold sporting tickets on ebay and had to make up fake auctions to pull it off. Selling tickets was not permitted I guess so they would put some random old baseball or football card or whatever card and say something like "You are bidding on a 1989 Buck Smith football card. Smith played backup punter on the Cleveland Browns where he set no records and recorded no playing time in his terrible and short career. He was cut immediately after they took this photo and never played a single down in the NFL. Due to his lack of accomplishments and total invisibility as a player, this card is hard to find because it was typically thrown away immediately by anyone who ever got one. And now it can be yours! P.S. As an added bonus, to the winner of this auction as a gift I am including two tickets to the Super Bowl completely free! Starting Bid: $2,500"

5. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

By the way, I don't have a specific example but if you go to ebay and search for Gibson SG and then sort price high to low, you will see a ton of guitars from Japan (not made in japan, sold from Japan) that have ridiculous prices. Like there will be an original '61 SG Special in near mint condition for $6,000 (okay, that's ballpark what they go for) and then bang! the next listing (also from Japan) is a 2005 SG '61 VOS Reissue for $6,000 (wait, whut?). Then a little further down a 2017 SG Standard for $4,000. I just scan them and think "this has to be some sort of elaborate money laundering scheme or something, because otherwise it makes no sense!"

6. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Uhhhhh.... wait.... whaaaaaat? That kind of hyperbole belongs in politics! And forgive the ignorance, but since when is Korea part of the USA? "That £297 will afford you a beautiful American Made guitar..." Oh... ok.... huh?
    :facepalm:

7. plankton