Tell me about the CS VOS SG's

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SixStringzombie, Jan 19, 2015.

1. SixStringzombie

SixStringzombie New Member

There's a 2010 Custom Shop VOS SG for sale somewhat local to me at a decent price. Its a Les Paul '61 model, faded cherry, with the Maestro Vibrola tailpiece.

What really sets these Custom Shop VOS models off from and above the usual standard production Gibson's and is worth the extra $$? This one supposedly has Burstbuckers in it. Does anyone know what model BB's a 2010 would have, and are they the potted or unpotted versions?

Any insight, opinions, feedback appreciated.

2. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

I know the 2006 had BB's and are really nice. I'm pretty sure I've seen a 2008 with BB's 2&3 somewhere.
    I good used one I seen go for $2300 - $2600
    Someone here just bought a really nice cherry VOS and posted.
    I'd do a search and see what he's had to say.

3. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Here's a Gibson Catalog page for the Custom Shop 2013 model SG Standard reissue.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/SG-Standard-Reissue.aspx

To me, with this you pay a lot for unnecessary bling and hype, and can get the same sound
    from a much less expensive guitar.... or else you can get several much less expensive but excellent guitars
    for the same money outlay.

So, if you can afford it and if you get joy from the peripheral looks and prestige of the
    custom shop's reputation, then by all means you should have this. I believe that you get a lot with a guitar like this.
    Quality parts and attention to detail are something you should expect AND GET when you pay these prices.

But from the point of view of the hardworking and underpaid guitarist, it's something
    that an audience would never appreciate. For the working pro, it's tone and feel that are crucial,
    as well as quality and dependability. For player, it's all in your fingers and your heart and soul.
    If you've got the chops, you can sound like yourself on a well setup but less aristocratic instrument.
    If you haven't got the chops, buying this won't help you much. (it will help a little).

Moose likes this.
  5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

I hate them.
    Seriously.

6. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

We know, Kris.

To answer your questions, what sets them apart is more attention to historic details (although they are not 100% accurate, they're the closest you can get) and lower production/more handmade than standard Gibson USA models. All those little details will indeed make a nicer, more resonant guitar, but whether or not that justifies the price is up for debate. As an owner of a CS model, I would say not really. I was lucky to get a great deal on mine so it was a no brainer. But in a practical sense, just about any decently made guitar can be made to play and sound pretty damn good with a little attention. I mean, most Epiphones can be 90% as nice as a Gibson with a set up and some new PUPs/electronics. So I would also say most Gibson USA models aren't worth the price difference with an Epi. But people still want Gibsons because they are objectively nicer in the details. So to me, it's really a matter of whether you have the money. If you can afford it, go for it I say. Guitars have never been a rational purchase. If you're that concerned about the value of your dollar, you are truly best off with an Epiphone. If you already own a USA model, well you have your answer then.

And if you can't afford it, there's no need to be ashamed in an Epi or USA model either.

Col Mustard likes this.
  7. SixStringzombie

Those 2 statements pretty much contradict each other. I'm really just looking for opinions and thoughts on the model from people who actually own one, or have owned one. I mean this respectfully....but please spare me the "all in the fingers" and "chops" routine. That spiel is so redundant in these kind of forums.

As far as the "Quality parts and attention to detail are something you should expect AND GET when you pay these prices." Yes, I agree. That's what standard/regular production Gibsons should provide, but are pretty inconsistent on delivering. Which is why I was asking how much better a Custom Shop Gibson is.

Explain why you hate them please. Simply stating you do doesn't really provide much to go on.

Thanks AC30 for pointing me in that direction. Maybe I'll get in touch with coldengray

8. SixStringzombie

Thanks for the honest answer. I agree with most of that. I own and play everything from $200 guitars to $2000 guitars. They all have their place for me. A Gibson Custom Shop VOS however is one place I've never ventured. I really want another nice SG, something as close to a vintage model as I can get, with the vibrola. I've tried both the Tweedy SG and an SG Original. For the prices, neither wowed me, and the Tweedy had some serious workmanship issues. The VOS that I have an opportunity to by is priced just under $2k, which by what I can tell is pretty good price on one considering how much they are new (which I wouldn't touch)

9. PermissionToLand

Then I would say go for it. For under $2k, it's a no-brainer. However, don't expect perfect workmanship either. Mine has some issues in inconspicuous areas (grain filler on the top and bottom ends of the fretboard, some thinner finished areas, even a binding dot marker missing) but such is the price of a more hand made guitar. Unless you want to pay a luthier to build a custom guitar, or buy a machine built guitar (Epiphone) you won't get perfection. Even back in their heyday, Gibson made mistakes. Of course, every guitar is different so you could find a perfect CS model and a sloppy USA model. The Original looks really nice and in all fairness most USA models I've played on the showroom floor were not set up at all. It's up to you. They're both good choices in my book.

10. lunchbox

lunchbox Active Member

I've owned two CS Gibson's: a '76 Explorer '59 RI (paid $1100 in '97), and an '05 LP Special 1960 SC (paid $1750 in '11). Both were of better quality than Gibson USA production line guitars, imo. How much that translates to $$$ is up to you.

IMO, the (new) CS guitars are waaaaaaaaay overpriced, but you can find good deals for used. I'd definitely take a look at the one you're interested in, and at $2k seems like an OK price.

Crazy_8, Moose and PermissionToLand like this.
  11. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I'm going to side with lunchbox here.

In terms of value for money it's hard to rationise the extra cost of a custom shop vs. the Made In USA guitars.

However, Gibson have never been especially rational when it comes to pricing even historically eg. the 1961 pricing for the SG Standard and Custom were $265 and $365 respectively. That price difference can't been justified in terms of the extra build cost. I reckon it's just the standard way of creating some exclusivity at a price point that will sell.

Anyway, back to the original question. I have had CS and MIA guitars. CS guitars are my preference. Not because of are twice as good, historically accurate or worth the money but because I find them slightly better quality build and materials, I enjoy them more and am prepared to pay a bit more. Nb. I buy most of my CS guitars second hand rather than street prices.

I'd love to be able to buy an original 63-67 guitar but a) they're expensive b) many are damaged and c) mostly located in the states (which with shipping could end up damaged).

The CS SG standard is my regular squeeze. It is light weight, sounds awesome, stays in tune, the neck is really solid and every time I look at it I think, if I could only have one guitar this would be it. YMMV.

When it comes to CS guitars I'd say buy a good one second hand. Providing it is genuine, not damaged and plays well you will get a fine guitar. If you don't like like it you can sell it and you shouldn't lose much money in the process. If nothing else you will have had time to make up your own mind about the value of a CS guitar.

Here's my review Correct Weight: SG Standard Reissue

PermissionToLand and lunchbox like this.
  12. V_1

V_1 Guest

While I cannot say it fully justifies the cost, the one I played at a music store was exceptionally nice. The fit, finish, feel, and sound were very good.

13. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I read your first post twice before offering my precious opinion. *shrugs

so if you really don't appreciate what I wrote, just boil it down to the
    one word that keeps my statements from contradicting each other:
    unnecessary

Bullfrog, Crazy_8 and Biddlin like this.
  14. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Ok, since you asked....
    Obviously overpriced for what you get.
    Body lines, ESPECIALLY the bevels in the cutaways look nothing like a real vintage SG.
    Color is way off. No vintage SG was ever that shade of red.
    HORRIBLE finish, many sanding swirls and gummy feeling lacquer, covered in VOS goop. This does not look vintage by any means.
    Sloppy soldering, wildly out of spec pots, fake Bumblebee caps, vintage SGs used ceramic caps.
    Headstock too thick and wrong shape compared to vintage.
    Single ring Klusons instead of vintage correct double ring.
    Boomy neck pickup, thin sounding bridge. (Potted BBs, you can only get unpotted aftermarket.)
    Pickup covers too square. Vintage covers have a rounded corner radius.
    Pickup rings are too tall compared to vintage.
    Atrocious "aging" of nickel hardware.
    Neck profile is not vintage accurate.
    Tips of horns are too thick, and shaped nothing like vintage.
    Angle of Lyre Vibrola spring plate is off.
    Plastic parts are crudely scratched with sandpaper.
    Screws are way too rusty
    Bottom tip of pickguard hangs off off body due to body lines being wrong.
    Resale value is terrible! You'll take a huge hit when you wanna dump it.

That's just off the top of my head.
    I've owned 17 vintage SGs in my life, and the VOS is simply not close. At all.
    ESPECIALLY considering how vintage accurate Gibson claims them to be. It's outright BS.

macdog, frankd, Relic61 and 5 others like this.
  15. Metal89

Metal89 Well-Known Member

I sense....much anger in this one...:wow:

58pit and Col Mustard like this.
  16. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

"All those little details will indeed make a nicer, more resonant guitar"

All objective data to the contrary.

"Guitars have never been a rational purchase"
    You got that right.:laugh2:
    To the OP: I have three clients who bring their "historic vos" Gibsons to me for service. I own a 2011 r9. My $250 '02 SG Special is a better player than any of them.
    While I have not seen all of the issues Kris points out, the finishes are sloppy, attention to fit and finish seems lacking in all the examples I've handled. Cold solder joints have been a common problem, too. The aged hardware looks like someone's poured acid and bleach on it.(Guess why) The fact that someone is offering his for possibly half or less than what he paid, speaks to the resale value.
    All of the above is irrelevant, of course, if the guitar gets your motor running.
    Since you say you play, barring a barn red finish with drips or any loose hardware, the instruments playability and (amplified)sound are my shibboleth. If its touch and tone send you, what the hell do you care what a bunch of geezers think?
    ;>)/

17. MtrSticky

MtrSticky Member

My white VOS '61 was lovable in that it sounded great but I've since decided that for the money, I could get a decent older standard. Just my preference these days.

18. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Fixed!
    Some days it's good that we can't reach through the screen.
    :naughty:
    ;>)/

19. PermissionToLand

Nothing like a real vintage SG? Come on.

I think you know the color is supposed to be a faded 40 year old finish, that's why it's called "Faded Cherry". In that, it succeeds.

As for the finish, the swirls are part of the aging process, which again I think you already know. And I've yet to discover this fabled VOS "goop" you speak of.

My soldering was nice and clean and complaining about the construction of the caps is textbook corksniffing IMO. They work perfectly well and my tone leaves nothing to be desired.

I'd like to see proof that the HS is wrong because they look exactly the same to me.

Single ring Klusons... who cares? And although I didn't like the stock BBs in it, they sound great in my ES copy. If you want them unpotted, take the covers off and break off the wax, simple.

PUP covers too square, rings too tall, again, who cares? Nobody said they were 100% accurate, but they're still the closest you can get.

"Atrocious aging"? How exactly?

Neck profile isn't accurate? Once again you're being deliberately facetious. Everyone knows Gibson hardly sanded any two necks the same back in the day.

"Crudely scratched plastics" again, you're just being obtuse. Pickguards get scratched over time. If anything, inconsistent scratching would be MORE realistic.

Screws get rusty.

And if you're buying for resale value... well who are we kidding nobody does. Buy to play. Don't buy to criticize and cork sniff like Kris.

I'm beginning to think you have some kind of superiority complex with Custom Shops. I think you bought yours looking to hate on it to justify your vintage guitars and you found confirmation bias. Congratulations.

Such as? For example a long neck tenon, I would think more wood contact = more resonance. Different types of glue will resonate differently, as do different cuts of mahogany. Many maintain that the one piece body is more resonant. Thinner finish... etc.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  20. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

SixStringzombie
    If I wanted a correct accurate vintage SG I'd buy a vintage SG.
    But I have too much fun playing guitar and a used VOS from 10 feet away looks pretty sweet to me. Most people in your gig playing audience wouldn't know the difference anyway.

I haven't had anyone come up and criticize one of my SG's for its' authenticity. And most of my SG's look old because they are players and I bought them used. I've aged some hardware, swop some parts - all in good fun.

I think that if you were actually comparing these VOS's to the real deal up close, you could certainly see many differences. Which is Kris's point. But if you're buying it because you like it and it has the vintage vibe, which incidently I do -
    Then I say Go for it.

Resale maybe not so good. I just bought a VOS SG myself for a really great deal and it's like new. Frets don't even show any wear. It's 7 years old. Which proves that most likely this is the case with alot of the VOS resales. Vintage correct ... hec no, but it looks cool to me and I plan on keeping it.

A vintage correct SG in really fine condition is way, way, more than I spent on a used VOS. Which keeps money around for other things...
    Like.... more SG's:naughty:

Tune it, turn it up,,and let the chips fall where they may.

58pit and Kris Ford like this.