Tell me about the CS VOS SG's

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SixStringzombie, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

What?!!

Kris is an obtuse corknsiffer?

I knew it !!!! Dammit I knew it!!!

I knew there was something a little off about that cat.

Grand Poobah of the Obtuse Corksniffers club.

The jig is up Kris. We're on to you now!

Congrats on the new sg AC. There's just something about the white ones right? :thumb:

58pit and Kris Ford like this.
  2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

well, I think we should let a few vapors rise up into the cosmos
    and then take a deep breath and then say:

Do as you wish... there's room for all of us at this festival.

Let's disagree with respect, and make our statements and let all the
    readers make up their own minds. They will anyway. On this forum we
    mostly are able to do this, where other fora seem to fail and disintegrate
    into bullshit. I actually enjoy the diversity around here, and am almost
    always willing to consider the opinion of someone who might seem way
    out there.

Then I make up my own mind. We all get to do that. And according to my
    count, there's only one answer from a member who actually owns one of the
    custom shop SGs. Maybe I missed something. But lots of us have opinions about
    the high priced models. Opinions are cheap today. *grins... But I wouldn't trade
    them away so easily. I like to read them again and think.

and it really comes down to whether anything really justifies the price.

58pit, jrmullin, Moose and 3 others like this.
  3. pulse.

pulse. New Member

It's way overpriced IMO. The quality is not what you should get for the amount
    of money they ask. Mine had/has some issues, some are fixed, some not.
    The tremolo was a little off center with the bridge, the bridge saddles were cut
    just awfully, the nut was a joke. I'm having an issue with the tremolo angle
    as you can see in the picture. I don't know if the angle is right, but the arm hits
    on 3way toggle. Any ideas on fixing it?

[​IMG]

The good side is the sound, the weight, the feel and that I got it for much less
    than the half of the street price.

4. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

That has got to be one of the most assy posts I've seen here in a good long while.

This reads like there's possibly too much vinegar or maybe antiseptic being used in the mix (not enough water) & it's causing some harsh itching & burning? I don't personally know how that feels but it cant be worse than that damn obnoxious smell if you don't clean it?

The point really is, when ya cross that line & make it personal, you can expect to get a little something back, often from more than just the initially offended party. Just remember you in fact he one who crossed that line & personally insulted someone else & intentionally tried to offend/upset them. It's all rather simple really & there is simply no winning here in this regard.

There really isn't too much of that douchey-ness here at ESG & when it happens I cant help but point out how wrong it is & not only relay how unwanted it is but also stand by the offended party & let the offending party know what a douchey thing it was that they did. I would even say the OP was out of place first & set the baggy tone when he slapped up the Col like he did. Why anyone even continued to help or offer assistance after that is beyond me.

It might not seem like its my place but Kris is a personal friend of mine & I got my friends backs in real life as well as on the net. Ya gotta stand for something in this world so .. friends first, forum second man. The fact is, its probably gonna be you against the world if you want to continue to bag it up round here. Ya know, just when I thought you had changed a bit too! So what is it gonna be? Man up or back off on the vinegar & see if the burning & itching subsides? :)

Biddlin likes this.
  5. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Gibson's current vibrola is nothing like the original in terms of quality or geometry.

The lead angle to the bride on the current ones are all over the place. At the very least the spring should be clear of the body and the bridge posts at 90 degrees to the body.

My 2001 '61 reissue with vibrola works well.

http://http://flic.kr/p/qAS53R

6. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Kris knew full well I would defend Custom Shops just like he would defend Norlins and he knew full well he was being facetious. He got a bad apple CS and yet he derides the whole bunch, when he would react just the same as I did if anyone did the same for Norlins. I just called him out on it. Obviously going through point by point got me a little worked up. Anyone who has seen my previous posts (been here since 2006 under a different name) knows I don't intentionally start ****.

7. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

This is all I did, nothing more, nothing less. At no time is it acceptable when someone asks for my opinion to make personal attacks against me for simply answering a question I was asked, considering that I most certainly did not attack anyone else..I was content to leave it at my first reply, but then I was asked by the OP exactly why, so I told him exactly why I felt that way. I'm not gonna blow sunshine up someone's ass, and when asked how I feel, I will say how I feel, because that was what was requested of me. Others made less than positive comments as well, but I was the one singled out to get blasted...which is funny, because I surely didn't single anyone out or make it a personal issue with any single person here.:dunno:Contrasting opinions are beneficial when looking for an informed answer, it's called BALANCE.

lunchbox, Hammer, JohnnyGoo and 2 others like this.
  8. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Talking $#!t about guitars & people are 2 entirely different things. One's opinion on guitars even if seemingly unfair, biased, re-tawded or otherwise doesn't open up permission to insult someone or bait them into an argument.

We are all entitled to our own opinions & all entitled to disagree. We are not entitled to belittle others. This forum has been known for keeping this type of nonsense free from it pages & is the reason most of us continue to be here.

I can only ask that if you guys need to engage in that behavior that you go somewhere else where that is more commonplace. If the proverbial dic# comes out here it will be stepped on by many a member & mod alike.

Bullfrog, Kris Ford and Biddlin like this.
  9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

From the voices of reason...
    [​IMG]
    :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
    ;>)/

10. PermissionToLand

Sure and if I went talking **** about Norlins with a vendetta you wouldn't take it personally? Please. You of all people should know better than to generalize based on one bad example, seeing as how Norlins were famous for bad apples. I don't care if I come off looking bad in this isolated thread because Kris has been bashing Custom Shops for a while and I've tried being reasonable many times but he just jacked up the nonsense even more since then. I've seen you go off on people for way less about Norlins so dismount the high horse sir. I'm done.

11. Biddlin

Only if you listen and play acoustically. Anything you can "hear" from the unplugged guitar is energy being dissipated into the air. That equals less sustain.
    ;>)/

Bullfrog likes this.
  12. Bullfrog

What's not ok with Kris disliking custom shop stuff?

I'm missing something here.

Relic61 and Kris Ford like this.
  13. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I think what I don't understand is that the OP asked for a comparison between a CS VOS and a contemporary USA model, not a comparison of a CS VOS and an old guitar. There seems to be a feeling from many that everything should be compared to a 50-year old guitar, but I just don't understand why. I've played plenty of old (vintage? god I hate that term) guitars that were just junk and plenty of new ones that were awe-inspiring...why the automatic reverence for the old? An why compare everything else to it? Especially detail by detail, as if the shape of the headstock or color makes it play or sound better.

To the OP, my experience, having owned a few CS guitars, is that they are overall "better" than their USA counterparts, but to what degree is up to the individual - are the relatively small improvement worth the relatively large premium you pay to you? I will tell you that there is an intangible involved in owning a Custom Shop instrument and they can be very rewarding, but I will also tell you that at present I don't own them any longer, having moved on (back) to production-line models that suit what I am doing now better. I say play it, see if it speaks to you, and if you think it is a fair deal then go for it. Only living with it for a while will tell you if it stays or goes.

JakeD, Moose and PermissionToLand like this.
  14. Biddlin

". I say play it, see if it speaks to you, and if you think it is a fair deal then go for it."
    Exactly.
    ;>)/

15. PermissionToLand

Indeed you are.

16. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

I was asked why I hated them. Exactly why, he wanted to know..
    I answered..:dunno: Exactly why I felt that way...I listed the exact reasons! As I was asked..did I or did I not?
    Why are people worried about what I MIGHT say? That's weird..
    Answer me this..somebody for F's sake..why do people take what I say personally if I'm not even talking to them or about them? Why is OK to take cheap shots at me when all I did was answer someone's question to clarify something I said? Do I have to submit my feelings to someone to make sure nobody gets their feelings hurt by something I might not even say or do?
    If Gibson says such things as "A painstaking recreation of the original" &
    "The SG Standard Reissue stays true to the specs of this iconic instrument. Its distinct features and legendary tone are meticulously remade with all the precision and accuracy expected from Gibson Custom.." is it too far out of line for someone to hold them to it?? Here is where my major problem is..do they not think that maybe those of us who have owned vintage ones just might check?? Clearly, I'm not the intended market here...

Anyways SixStringZombie, may I humbly suggest without hurting anyones feelings that you seek a vintage SG, some vigilant hunting, and you'd be surprised what you can get for 2 grand..
    I scored a dead mint '71 SG Deluxe for $1499.
    My '76 SG Standard for $750!
    And awhile back, was even able to pick up THIS:
    [​IMG]
    Late '69 Standard...100% original, and minty! I had to let it go due to some hard times, but it was $1500...they're out there!

Relic61 likes this.
  17. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    Hammer likes this.
  18. Bullfrog

No kidding! Wow.

19. Bullfrog

Kris your last post kinda hurt my feelings. Now I'm gonna whine and cry like a little baby.

58pit likes this.
  20. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

Damn!

58pit likes this.