Tell me about the CS VOS SG's

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SixStringzombie, Jan 19, 2015.

1. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Obviously you haven't even read what I've said because you're missing the point entirely.

2. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

"Answer me this..somebody for F's sake..why do people take what I say personally if I'm not even talking to them or about them?"

Because you're an expert, and they feel pride in guitars that you dismiss as pieces of ****. It's really a sign of respect for you that people might take what you say personally.

*I'm not trying to speak for you, PermissionToLand, just answering Kris' question in a general sense.

Anyway, Kris, it's clear that your beef is with modern Gibson, and you're not really picking on anyone in particular, except Henry J lol.

3. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

Damn that's a cool pic of the 69 in front of the Marshall. I've got wood ! :thumb:

LeadFinger likes this.
  4. lunchbox

lunchbox Active Member

[​IMG]

Here...lemme Google that for you. If you'd simply do an interwebz search for 'Gibson VOS goop' you too would have found it. It's quite well known and most people like to clean it off.

Hammer and Bullfrog like this.
  5. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

the custom shop releases only VOS guitars that look aged?can't buy a guitar that will look brand new and shiny?

6. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I know WTF over? You would think one willing to spend that much money would be given the option to simply have it made 'old school' (& I use that term loosely because they really dont make them like they used to) but have it look like they did when they were new! You know, shiny metal, pristine finish etc etc. No, ya gotta pay extra to have them fvk up your new 3-4 thousand dollar guitar.

The G in Gibson does not stand for genius. Maybe ... greedy??

ypnos likes this.
  7. PermissionToLand

Ahem, there IS a gloss option and you pay extra for that, not the VOS. Also, I've yet to see a VOS guitar with any "goop" left on it.

8. Relic61

Ahem, how many fingers am I holding up?

9. PermissionToLand

Are you suggesting I mis-read? Because I read it again and my comment still stands.

10. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

I see "gloss" as an option on some of them, when I'm drooling over the Wildwood site for instance. So, this means that it's "gloss" for a new looking guitar or "VOS" for one that looks like it's been in a closet for 60 years? If I were shelling out that kind of dough I'd like a shiny new guitar to fk up on my own.

11. Relic61

I said, how many fingers am I holding up as in .. do I really need to say with words how obnoxious you are or, actually tell you to go violate yourself for you to get the core essence of that expression? You are way to serious over stupid bull$#!T here & it inevitably seems to come around to making it a personal argument when there doesn't need to be one. Im 'playfully' trying to tell you what a PITA you are & to back it down a couple of notches for everybody's betterment is all.

You dont need to try to correct people over minutia or personal opinion. The fact is I never said anything about any specific guitar but made a comment in response to ...
    Which I even quoted in my reply to indicate to whom & what I was responding to!

The fuct up thing is that even when you are corrected you obstinately refuse to see it or acknowledge it & instead keeps on barking frantically like a little lap dog that has been told by everybody else in the house to stop fvk'n barking & then wonders why somebody is trying to kick it in the azz & out the damn door into traffic!

Please kid, & you are a kid right? OK, Maybe early twenties, but thinks you know everything & nobody can tell you anything right?? C'mon?? Fess up?! Because .. well .. you don't want to hear it right?? Do not turn this forum into another one of those bitch ass argumentative childish brat forums that are out there.
    I know this is hard to understand when it seems to only be the threads that you are involved with that have these personnel problems between members, but try to understand... Nobody else wants to see it. But I can guarantee (& I mean this) that plenty of people really would like to see you Fvk-0## & just go away, like a miskito.

Maybe you need to read other threads that you aren't part of to see just how few confrontations we have here!? Would that help? Probably not right ?? because once again you know everything, are never wrong & probably haven't read this far with any clarity because you can't listen to it!

And sure, I'm a this & a that & the other thing but the truth is .. it is all in response to you & your posted words & negative energy. In essence, you created this post. Do ya get that concept? If you weren't writing what you have been writing .. this post would not exsist! I know right, Mind Blown!

12. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Wow. Umm...where do I begin...and should I even jump in?

Decisions...decisions...

Well...here goes...

I, too, have played one of the VOS Custom SGs. And, I do have to admit I really liked it. However, I can't compare it to its supposed '61 progenitor because I've never even seen a real '61. I really have to trust Kris's and others evaluations there. My perceptions are based on it's quality as just a guitar. I can't get past the price, though.

I do have to say I never noticed any of the "goop" Kris mentioned, but my local music store (a mom and pop..Yay!) is pretty meticulous about how they care for the instruments. If there was any on this instrument, it was probably cleaned off before they put in on the floor. I do see from mild-mannered Googling that others have had this negative experience with VOS Goop, though.

BTW, "VOS Goop" would be a good name for a punk album.

But, like gball noted, the OP was really looking for a comparison to the standard line...not the '61. Though, such comparisons are inevitable. Unfortunately, my main point of reference is my '74 Norlin, so it's not really a fair comparison. The VOS definitely felt different, but I could get used to it easily enough. Also, I would not turn down a VOS for the right price. Kris doesn't like them; but I'd take one. That's cool. I do have mixed feelings about the faux aged metal pieces, though.

But, as for the tenor of the conversation...it has gotten a bit gritty. Being a Norlin owner, I'll address the situation that PermissionToLand postulated to Kris about if someone started bashing Norlins. I'd just respond that I like mine but that other person doesn't have to. We're not all going to like the same things. I like Strats...a lot. But other members here have voiced their dislike for them. Cool. I think it's worth noting that we all have preferences. What one person may like in a neck, for example, another criticize as entirely too thick. So, I get why PermissionToLand felt the way he did. From his perspective, one member was speaking negatively about something he liked - the Custom Shop guitars. But, I don't think Kris or Relic started off trying to attack PTL, personally. I will also say that I have never seen Kris or Relic chime in on someone's New Guitar Day when someone posts about getting a guitar that Kris or Relic don't care for, as if to spoil the joy. They've held their peace in such cases, so I don't think they are trying to just wizz in the Wheaties. I have respect for their opinions.

I see this has bled into other threads. That's unfortunate.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  13. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

14. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    roflmao
    ;>)/

15. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Biddlin\'s butthurt balm.jpg
    Seriously, fill the tub and jump in guys. I play in a gay cowboy band and don't hear this much drama. Everybody's pet peeve gets a little indulgence but you guys are officially over your limit.
    ;>)/

58pit, JakeD and Bullfrog like this.
  16. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17. PermissionToLand

Edit: I was content to let this die but I'm not going to let this nonsense stand unchallenged.

Wow, amazing how accurate your analysis of me is, considering I've hardly had a single argument before this on here. But no, go on about how everyone hates me like you're the representation for everyone here. And the fact that you would call ME obnoxious in a post like that is the height of hypocrisy. So I guess the content of my words isn't important to you then? It's just the way I say things? So I threw in a short armchair analysis at the end there, and to you that entirely negates the fact that he was being inflammatory to begin with. Obviously you aren't aware that he and I have butted heads before on this subject and rather than tone it down he doubled it down here.

The fact that you have to resort to hyperbolic little insults that bear no resemblance to what actually happened is sad. The thread is here for all to read and I stand by my words. The only person refusing to be corrected here is YOU. I did not deny the goop exists after it was proven. You however, still cannot accept that you were wrong about the gloss finish and you went on this little tirade because your pride was hurt.

Anyone who has to bolster their argument with assumptions about the other person's age is obviously working on a flimsy argument. You judge a man on the merit of his words, and your words show a severe lack of comprehension. That's all I'm going to dignify that with.

Look, you can villify me all you want, but the thread speaks for itself. I almost immediately conceded that I had gotten too worked up in the first response and since then I have stated my opinion calmly and factually. Nothing you have said bears any resemblance to what has actually occurred here so I really don't care what you think because you certainly don't speak for everyone and I like to think ETSG as a community is plenty intelligent enough to see through your lazy hyperbole.

The last post I remember by you was full of misogynist and homophobic undertones so I'll go ahead and say the community would be better off without you, although I won't be arrogant enough to think I speak for everyone.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  18. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED if the forum format wasn't changed........

58pit, thatbastarddon, JakeD and 7 others like this.
  19. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

:D

20. Relic61

As for the rest of you all, a thousand pardons while me & PLO works things out.

ok butthurt??, You haven't shown me what I said that was actually wrong. You seem to be adding meaning to words I left unsaid & then, trying to correct me. It seems as if you are simply looking for a position to stand on so you can say I was wrong about something.

This all backs up my initial assertion that you certainly could have gone about making your points in a less confrontational / assy manner!!

I was hoping that if you wanted to show me I was wrong about something that you would show me I was wrong about you!

Things you have read wrong
    Quote 1.
    What I actually said.
    point of fact
    1. 'everyone' is not the same as 'plenty of people'
    2. 'hates me' is not 'like it if you just go away'
    3. 'representing everyone here' is not 'guaranteeing there are plenty of people here'

Are you seeing what you are doing here to make your arguments?? I can go on if you like so you can develop some self awareness and improve upon your game & boy does it seem like a childish misleading game when you break it down into the facts.

Quote 2.
    What I actually said.
    Get it?? Understand that I wasn't calling you obnoxious?? yet I believe you plainly try to insinuate I am! I know, boring right? So you don't get humor. Meh .. I'm sure there are reasons for that. You do take yourself rather too seriously but Oh .. there is still more my young know it all.

I'm really sorry fellow members, my apologies.I'm almost done here. please leap to next post.

Quote 3.

What I actually said to ypnos in reply about a VOS guitar.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong here but I do not see an "un-aged" option (as in shiny metal & new / -paint color with gloss finish on any of the big competitive music stores (MF, GC, SW, M123 for instance)

Here's a MF quote describing the VOS Gibson SG Standard with Maestro finish & appearance..

" The VOS aging treatment makes it look exactly like a vintage original instrument that's been treated with loving care for its whole life with a slightly aged finish and hardware. "

Here's a MF quote describing the VOS Gibson SG Standard Historic Reissue with Vibrola
    " period-correct Aniline dye for guitars finished in Faded Cherry "
    Neither one of these Vos guitars have an unaged finish or separate "Gloss" option!!

Same for GC,

SweetWater has a Gibson Custom SG Standard Reissue VOS 'Standard White' & the finish is described as
    " VOS finish gives you the look of a well-maintained classic"
    Same finish description for SweetWaters Gibson Custom SG Standard Reissue VOS 'Faded Cherry' & the
    Gibson Custom SG Standard Reissue VOS 'Faded Cherry', Maestro.

None of SweetWaters VOS SG's offer a 'Gloss' option either.

Music 123 offers a Gibson Custom SG Standard Historic Reissue VOS With Vibrola with finish described as ..
    " period-correct Aniline dye for guitars finished in Faded Cherry. "

AGAIN, no gloss option on any VOS models! So far your glossy argument has been very misleading so I really cant apologize for being wrong here.
    There very well may be guitars specially made for specific dealerships by Gibson that have a gloss finish & some 'historic' moniker attached to it but they are inevitably different than the widely available & typical VOS SG guitar that most people think about & infer to in conversation and, you yourself clearly admit 'not Vos' in gloss! so AGAIN ..
    Being me & ypnos were talking about a VOS guitar I was perfectly correct in what I said!

The thing is, I was lightheartedly joking around & not really trying to be serious! Its just sad that you need to try to twist that into something I'm really not saying to try to make yourself look like some childish authority on $#!T. Maybe you do have a special site where you can order a VOS SG in the same un-aged shiny condition as an SG Standard but I don't know of one. Being I shop GC, MF, SW for new instruments, I just havent seen a VOS offered in todays un-aged gloss finish with brand new looking metal & pup covers. But I could be wrong.

Real Point is, you dont need to go around trying to correct everything people say while they are simply having friendly conversations with others. That is what an (*) does. Get it?? You know an awful lot for a kid & obviously get a kick out of representing yourself as a know it all expert. Problem is even if you did know everything you still come off like a know it all kid & that frankly just rubs people the wrong way. Nobody likes a know it all kid, (yes I speak as an expert on that) but a smart kid that has humility, style, skill & grace on the other hand tends to get lots of support & encouragement from others. Still reading?? Just checking. I may be an obnoxious cantankerous old man but I really do know a whole lot about people, getting along & what it takes to make it in this life, as well as guitars despite what you are wishing I was & wanting to portray me as. On top of that I probably have forgotten more about guitars than you even know right now and in real life more than likely can play circles around you when it comes to having a genuine guitar in my hands whether plugged in an amp or acoustic so .. have some damn respect. Believe me when I say that's not conceit, that just knowing what time it is & keeping it real.

It has dawned on me that some come here to play big on a forum & I'm doing it in the real world where I don't have to try to impress people because they already know WTF I am & what I'm about. You're still trying to do that. Be smart & learn from this stuff. Swallow that pride that's eatin at ya right now & realize that inside..you know I've been right & you have room for growth & improvement. There is nothing wrong with that kid. It's people like me that are going to make you think & hopefully grow into an even finer version of yourself than you are right now. Ya see, despite what you may think, I don't believe you are a bad person or even a jerk, you are just doing some stuff that causes problems for yourself & others & I'm trying to open your eyes to it. Hell yeah that's hard to do.,. on both our parts!

If we're cool, just skip the rest. If you aint believin it yet well .. Try to Keep an open mind as you read on ...Ah

To the rest of the forum .. Why are you still here?? Y'all hate this stuff & it's childish foolery remember?!

Additional misstatements you've made here;

To which say, are you really unaware of your past actions or maybe ask...smoke much??

example A,

example B,
    " Misogyny is the hatred or dislike of women or girls. " I know it's hard being young & bombarded with PC indoctrination but as you learn discernment, you will be able to recognize irreverent 'humor' that pokes fun at things. What aint funny to some is even funnier to others. The fact is I love women, believe in their equal rights & have sisters & daughters of my own. If you don't believe I love women, just ask yer mother about it. That goes for your homoslander too!

Things I didnt know I was right about until I had to check your other postings...

My guessing what you are..

To which I found.
    And
    What you doin kid??? Pull yer head out of there & suck on some oxygen, (is that homophobic??) Well how about putting down the mind altering drugs & telling me .. how many fingers now kid? Now lets see if you've been paying attention ... That's a polite & semi joking way to say ... ??? Who's number 1 ?!?!? ... You are!

Keep it real bruddah.

To the rest of the forum members, why in the earth are you still reading this??