Tendonitis?

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Layne Matz, May 9, 2018.

1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Im finding that fretting with my poi ter finger sends a bolt of pain through my forearm. My ring finger is healing from being smashed in a car door and torn open in the process.

Its just my pointer though that causes significant pain to use, I assume its from over use. I use my pointer for all bar chords and as the statting point for almost anything I'm doing on the fret board. I use .12-52s on my strat, .10-49 on my SG and .13s on my acoustic. I just restrung my acoustic with .12- 49(old strings) solely because it is killi g my arm to make a bar chord or do much fretting with my pointer. Lifes throwing me under the bus lately... More so than usual. I cant afford a god damn thing, but at least bills are paid and i have food- oh and a phone i suppose. I always think, 'at least i can play my guitars'. **** me, life just has to keep kicking eben when I'm down. It hurts my arm to practice. I'm working on songs of my own, a friends, and just practicing in general but Im having a hard time for a few reasons.
    A. My pointer finger causes my muscles to burn
    B. My ring finger is stiff, doesnt want to bend and wehn it does the cut rips open and i start bleeding again.
    C. Its 88 degrees in here and I'm from Minnesota.

Im sad to say i havent been playing slide so much lately because I've been developing my fingerstyle to a more practical level. Im supposed to play with a friend of mine on Sunday but i need to practice and make up the new parts.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  2. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

Take it easy and work up to the task - it'll take a while, so be patient.

Before each playing session, stretch and warm up fingers, hands, wrists, arms, shoulders and neck (lots of stuff on the Net on this subject). This is important whether you're recovering from injury or justing get old like many here (myself included).

Strongly consider going to lighter string guages, at least until you're fully healed and/or have recovered some of your mobility, control and range of motion.

Good luck!

Layne Matz likes this.
  3. Roca

Roca Active Member

Sounds like your hand is compensating for the injured digit.

4. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Thats a scary idea! I usually try to go as heavy as i can because i love the feel, intonation amd tone. My hand was hurting so bad yesterday that I would .8s on my SG and I could be happy with that because it would require little to no effort for barred jazz chords and the like. Im scared, I dont know what im going to do if i cant play guitar.

I read a couple things and people seem to suggest 'stop playing for 6 weeks and then try' I CANT DO THAT! Maybe i meed some .8s I guess. I read somewhere that Robby Kreiwger uses those so thats good enough for me. However I've always hated the tone and feel of light strings, makes everything sound too thin.

5. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

How so? The rings finger is stiff at the top knuckles where i got pinched by the car door, but my pointer i can feel the pain from my wrist to my elbow if i apply pressure with my left hand pointer finger. I think its from excess Barre chords with heavy ass strings. I dont know what id do without the chords and i guess its more economic to use a set of .8s or something. I've only used those once when they were prestrung on my strat when I got it from the pawnshop, sounded like a banjo... With fishing line strings

6. Roca

Roca Active Member

I don't know all the details. That's what my doctor told me when I hurt my hand a while back.

Layne Matz likes this.
  7. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Thank you for the insight. I put an old set of 9s on my SG for now and its not too bad. Could be worse.

gtone likes this.
  8. Chubbles

Chubbles Active Member

You'll get used to the 9s. Use a boost pedal if you need to. Health is one thing that is more important than tone.

Layne Matz and Worblehat like this.
  9. Worblehat

Worblehat Active Member

Don't worry to much about string gauges. I think its mostly a matter of habit. Reducing pain should be your highest priority. Listen to your body. Take breaks. Warm up and stretch.
    Think of Tony Iommi. He had to switch to 8's (or even 7's) due to enormous pain. And you can't complain about his tone!

Bullfrog and Layne Matz like this.
  10. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Thanks for the helpful words of advice. I recall when this happened to my father. He got so upset he couldnt play he was pacing around balling and punching things... He couldnt record or play live because his whole arm wouls flare up in pain, but he was pushing 45 after playing since he was 12.

Ive only been playing seriously for about 2 years but my practice has been daily and a constant form of entertainment for about 4 years. I didnt really try to develop my fingerstyle playing until last fall.

Anyways, im 18- I cant lose my playing ability this soon. It might kill me if I do. For me to play for several hours is outright painful these days. I guess lighter strings do have a purpose after all.

11. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

With the 9s I barely have to set my finger on the strings and it frets. Im thinking about getting a set of 8s in a couple weeks- I dont know how else I'll be able to record much, jam extensively, or play a show.

I always hated light strings bit now its just a way to play without hurting. Ive begun stratching a lot and warming up before playing but its still an issue if i try to use my strat for instance, which has .12s on it becuase I love those.

12. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Light strings didn't hurt nobody. Why do you think people ditched the high e in the old days to use banjo strings for it? Because it hurt their fingers, dammit! Why do you think the Gibson Byrdland was such a short scale? Pretty close to the same reason, and it made playing complex chords easier.

I used to use 13s because I wanted to be Stevie Ray Vaughn and get that tone. But, as I was 12 then, I thought, why am I trying so hard? I switched to 10s and never looked back. But, one thing I do recommend is that you try different things and settle on something that works for you.

Maybe you like the sound of dead strings? New strings in general tend to be bright. But, with an electric, you don't, or at least shouldn't, care how it sounds acoustically. Most of the tone is in the fingers. You don't want to fight your guitar, just like you don't want to fight your body (unless you're jack White). What I suggest you do is go to 10s and get used to those first. Then, work your way down from there. You will have to use a lot lighter touch, but that's the beauty of it. You don't have to work anywhere near as hard to do it.

Take this from a 16 year-old; you don't want to screw up your body early on. This is something you're supposed to do for the rest of your life, not one and done like high-school football. Just take the time to get used to it. You won't regret it.

13. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

I use three guitars on a near daily basis, if I'm not playing one I'm playing one of the others.
    I have an Epi SG with .10s but originally I used 11s, then 9s, then 10s. Yesterday I put the 9s back on then put the 10s back on, with a 9 on the high E and lower gauges on the wound strings.My acoustic has a set of .12s on it- for slide and figerstyle before it became painful. Last but no least my quire strat also has .12s and I use it for slide and fingerstyle.

For 2 years I played with nothing but .13s because a guy at guitar center suggested them when I asked which ones were best for slide. For at least a year I played only slide and learned how to trust my ear. A year later someone said i should learn the notes and it would help a lot. I had no clue there were such a thing really, i just didnt think about it.

Back then all i had was my ibanez performance acoustic. I listened to the Doors, Neil Young, muddy waters, son house, Robert Johnson, fred McDowell, john lee hooker, elmore james and just about any old bluesman daily. I was immersing myself in so much blues I felt it became a part of me.
    I did not have an amp, and i could not recreate electric music well with my acoustic so I resorted to plaging acoustic blues best way I could. I used Open G and D, and a capo for E and A. I was NEVER in standard. I jad no desire to play with my fingers due to three fractures in my littlest finger when i was 8. Even now I can feel the spots where the bones fractured. I cant bend that finger so well.

Honestly though the only guitarist that have really wanted to sound like is Robby Krieger of The Doors. No music is as important to me and sonically in tune with my mind than The Doors and Neil Young. Neil Youngs stuff isnt bery difficult to replicate or adapt, Kriegers on the other hand is very unique and not easily mimicked. Oh, i did get into a lot of acoustic stuff. I binged Woody Guthrie, Hank Williams, and got very head over heels with Flamenco guitar(primarily Segovia and an album called Passion Grace and Fire). I have tried to incorporate what i understand to be flamenco picking technique into my playing and I beleive I have done that on some level.

I had heard SRV when I was younger(when my mom listened to it) but never really even sat and listened to his stuff till last year.
    I bought. My strat becaise I hated femder for no apparent reason, and i didn't wamt to be so ignorant. I was also very infatuated with David Gilmour and Pink Floyd at the time and I thought if he can use a strat like that, I CAN TOO! $40 later I had my strat and hated how it sounded. It was terrible. I hardly touched it for weeks. Then I got the bold idea to make it my slide guitar, so I raised the nut with a bamboo shim, put .13s on it and prperly intonated it. I found that I LOVED the tone and instrument so much with .13s I was playing it more than my SG. I just liked the tone and the feel.

One day I was playing with a friend and he said, "How can you even bemd with those? Youre like SRV or something, why dont you get yourself some powerlines poor boy?" I had to google it to know what he meant. Even then I didnt listen to SRV.

I kept breaking my .13 sets when I started tunimg to Open A and A minor so I decided to try .12s and they felt absolutely perfect amd there was no loss of tone. When i bough the strat it had 8s, so I put on 11s but did not like those either but used them till they broke then used a set of .9s I got for free and hated them. Ive tried 8s, 9s, 10s, 11s, 12s, 13s, and once I used set of .14s I made out of other old strings. Dead strings dont bother me, new strings do a bit but not much. Im all over the place so i do play my electrics acoustically a 40% of the time because I am taking care of small children and I cant carry the amp with me all over obviously. Not to mention I dont want to harm their hearing.
    10s are what I like and prefer for my SG which I use only for fingerstyle. Been using 10s for about 6 months. They are great for fingerstyle- not for slide. I live dollar to dollar and cannot afford much of anything, even strings when I need them. Sometimes I cant afford food and I'm 100% serious. It wasnt always that way but I moved and I can't seem to find a job around here.

My mom bought me my first electric guitar (Epi SG) on November 30th, last year- for my 18th Birthday. 2 weeks later I bought my strat for $40. And the rest is history.

You cannot directly apply all acoustic techniques to electric, electeics are a whole different animal.

14. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Member

From a long distance runner soreness is different than pain. Pain is body telling you stop immediately.

A shooting pain means something about to rip and tear internally.

Stop ice and rest probably you need 10 days to 2weeks off at least.

Good luck!

Logan likes this.