The 64 Standard Re-issue

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pancake81, Feb 12, 2019.

1. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

there Watching us!

Well, I am going to pretend that Gibson read my post a few weeks back about the 1961 reissuebwith the vibrola. It of course never existed, so I suggested Gibson call it any other year other than a 61. Well... Viola, they took my advice :) They called it a 64!

Nice to see some change up.

My original comment:

[​IMG]

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/CUSFUM384/1964-SG-Standard-Reissue-w-Maestro-Vibrola

Ray likes this.
  2. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Hehe, no doubt about it, pancake!

Hehe ... I couldn't resist ... my post, dated January 24th. Hehe.
    Cool.

pancake81 likes this.
  3. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

i remember back then when the 2000/01 came out, most were saying that it was more apt to be called a '65 reissue.

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I see they installed the crown inlay at the historically correct location for a 1961-65 SG Standard. Maybe they should recall that 2019 SG Standard ‘61.

arcticsg likes this.
  5. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that was maybe not such a good idea. 2000 Standards have batwing pickguard and thicker necks than the so-called "60s slim taper" neck, so I believe a '66/'67 would have been more precice. (Sniff, sniff. Lovely bouquet on that cork, I must say:D)

Edit: IMO The 2000 Standard is pretty good replica of an mid/late '60's SG. My '00 Standard has a body consisting of one solid slab, real nice bevels (weighty too, compared to 2018/19 Standards), and a cool detail (that I hadn't realized until some weeks back) is that on the '00 Standard the brigde screws are screwed directly into the wood, which I believe was not common for Gibson "factory"/USA models, but used mostly for Historics/CS guitars. Please correct me if I'm wrong, guys.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  6. cerebral gasket

The ABR-1 was common on regular production models up until 2002. My 2000 SG Special has an ABR-1. Many of the early SG Special Faded when they were released in 2002 had the ABR-1. By 2003 they switched back to the Nashville.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  7. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks, man. I had misunderstood a bit, cause I thought that the ARB was fastened to a set bridge posts on some ABR-fitted guitars. So all ABR-1 up to 2002 was like this?

Yeah, the Harmonia should be brought back for a 2019 Reissue of SG Exclusive! With the T-top and the SuperDistortion pu-set! I want one badly!

8. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

actually it was in reference to the now legendary 2000/01 limited edition '61 reissue with maestro.
    nowadays more popularly known as the same off the shelf model which derek trucks used, and also the basis from what his signature model is copied from.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  9. cerebral gasket

ABR-1 has posts threaded directly to wood. There might be recent models that have ABR-1 and use threaded inserts similar to Nashville. But that defeats the purpose.

10. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks, got it. I wasnt aware of that reissue.

Right... Thanks.

11. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

The 64 Reissue might be the nicest SG ever.

Ray and pancake81 like this.
  12. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

It’s looking pretty amazing, for sure.

I can’t wait to see some real photos and reviews

Ray and Gahr like this.
  13. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

This is an interesting one. Finally Gibson acknowledges that SGs existed outside 1961!

Unfortunately, this is only different in that it has a thicker neck and slightly different heel. But hey, it's a step in the right direction. Maybe this is the start down the road to a '69 Reissue. I can dream...

These are Custom Shop Historic models, so I would hope so! Technically, the Standard '61 follows precedent in that anything named "Standard" has the lower crown. I thought calling it a Standard was a strange move at first, but maybe they purposely avoided the word "reissue" this time because it's not supposed to be accurate, just a "tribute" like those Specials they made a while back?

14. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Sorry, misread post..

Now, Gibson, hehe ... How about a cream SG Custom with '62/'63 specs but with a Tuneomatic and stop bar instead of any vibratojunk and with Grovers tuners, and 3 pickups - without covers!
    Yes please!:D

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    pancake81 likes this.
  15. PermissionToLand

Get yourself a pre-2000 Custom. No vibrola and they used Grovers through most of the '90s. They are pretty uncommon though, seem to have been produced in very low numbers. Aim for the latest '90s year you can find, as they took longer than the '61 RI to fix some inaccuracies.

[​IMG]

16. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

The Customs went over to become Historic /CS models round 1993. I am aware of those models you mention. But to me it seems like most SG necks became fatter in the later '90s, but Im not sure. I want a slim fast neck.

If I would get a Custom today: to me it seems I should go for a stock '86-'92 Custom. Not too crazy pricey either, those IMO. There are a few of those out there right now.
    But Im not getting another SG right now. I just have always wanted this guitar... Next year.. .. drooling in the meantime.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  17. PermissionToLand

They should all be the same "Slim Taper" profile as the '62 and '61 RI. Although Gibson's definition of "slim" is not the same as mine, certainly. And they do the final sanding by hand, so every example is going to be slightly different from the next.