The Boss Katana Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DFLCC, Jul 3, 2017.

1. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Snatched a Boss Katana 2X12 Extension Cabinet (KTN-CAB-212) from Musicians Friend today, 15% off with PRESDAY18 code. Had to called in cus it was not taking it on the website. Also used $41 on reward points. Saved around $93, no sales tax and free shipping and handling. Perfect mate for my Katana Head, Just killer.

Should get it late next week. Post some pics when I get it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Clifdawg and Raiyn like this.
  2. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Expanding the Katana 100 Head to a new dimension with the Roland GA-FC foot controller. This is something that many of you have done, that I just accomplish and I can see the utility that it adds to this amazing amp. Now, I can truly say that is a must have for any Boss Katana amp owner.

6E65C190-D6A7-446E-92CE-5F0E53B79825.jpeg
    Hopefully I get my extension cab in the next few days.

Clifdawg and Raiyn like this.
  3. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

GA-FC is #1 on my "Next Christmas" list, although I'll probably use it primarily for switching effects instead of channels. The clean is so good by itself and with pedals I find little reason to swap to anything else, unless I'm plugged straight in at home and just want to dial in something on the panel.

4. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

That will do for you but I assure you that once you learn to tweak each channel to fit the tone of a song, you will be using every function of the GA-FC. It really opens up the amp possibilities.

5. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Finally the Family is together.
    -Boss Katana 100 Head
    -Boss Katana 212 Cab
    -Roland GA-FC Foot controller

AB49ADC3-0472-4496-BB8D-E8B490C3B6C7.jpeg

I am loving this combination. So far I am having a blast. It really got me inspire to tweak more with it. I am going to make four patches for some personal tones. Thinking CH1 staus cleans, reverb and delay. CH2 CH1+TS9 (from Tone Studio). CH3 Distortion, Delay, Soft Reverb. CH4 Brown, Boost, Delay, Soft Reverb. Well will figure it out.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    lcw likes this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Don't forget, the Tone Studio software was updated so now there are two channels per slot.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Hey ... new member in da club, with the ugly pock marked face of the family. Cheap thrills ... really cheap. But everything works on it, so what do I care.

[​IMG]

One question, anybody closed up the back of their combo. I find it lacks a little oomph.

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

They did on the new "Artist" model. Put in a Waza speaker too.

9. DrBGood

Hah ! So I'm not that crazy.

2/3 closed. I guess all closed was too much. I'll try that.

Who has a 100 combo ? The presence knob doesn't seem to do anything. In the manual, they say head only. So why is it even there on the combo then ?

[​IMG]

10. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

At bedroom volumes, the presence doesn't do a lot. Gun it a little bit, though, and it's great for taming some of the highs. The Katana gets *really* bright at stage volumes...

DrBGood likes this.
  11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Not completely crazy.

12. New_SG_Fan

New_SG_Fan New Member

Tried a search on this and nothing popped

Anyone else have awful hum on this amp in the non clean channels when out of bedroom volumes? Tried cuttimg back on gain but then the tone gets too clean and sprinkly for what trying to do. Have the issue with both my sg and lp.

Appreciate any tips to cut that back

Thanks

13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

That's a new one for a Katana. What kind of lights are you running?

14. New_SG_Fan

New_SG_Fan New Member

Just a regular lamp i guess with one of those new style light bulbs. The studio I was in where I had a much higher volume seemed to have a normal light setup and the fender tube amp plugged into the same outlet had no hum at all

15. DrBGood

Done, improved low frequencies. If you're a home noodler, do it.

Semi open back.jpg

lcw, Clifdawg and dexspeed like this.
  16. New_SG_Fan

New_SG_Fan New Member

Hum fixed - for anyone whos k 100 makes it sound like a 200 ft tall mosquito is in the room when they crank it up, the noise suppression function in the katana studio software kills any buzz.

JeffBeck and Clifdawg like this.
  17. JeffBeck

JeffBeck New Member

Got a 100w 1x12 on the way. I'm over the moon excited to get this thing. Getting it used at a fantastic price from a friend - within $25 of a 50w...including the shipping! I've been immersing myself in all the videos that have been video-ed and all the reviews that have been reviewed. Going to get familiar with just the amp itself for a little while but will be diving in to the tone studio and accessing the sneaky amps. Pics will be forthcoming - gonna seem like a long week or so!

Clifdawg and DrBGood like this.
  18. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Man, I am still loving my Katana 100H and cab. I have recently started to tweak heavily with the tone studio software and seems that I have been finding my voice.

DrBGood and Logan like this.
  19. DrBGood

Can you elaborate on what "your" voice is ?

I haven't gone in the Tone Studio yet, haven't even downloaded it. I'm kind of reluctant. I tend to want find how to make that amp sound good, as it is. It respond very differently from a single coil to a humbucker. Since I tend to switch guitars a lot in an hour, I don't want to have to tweak the controls every time. I don't have to on my Super Champ. On most all voices, whatever guitar I plug in, it sounds good.

I might install a output speaker jack, to plug in my 2X12 cab. I find the combo's cab boxy sounding. It's missing ... I dunno ... warmth I guess.

20. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

I have programmed CH1 to be my main clean. CH 2 is crunch; Classic Rock and Hard Rock, with a T-Screamer. Responsive to the guitar volume control. CH 3 is Crunch but for modern rock, higher gain with scoop mids and less treble shrill. CH 4 is Brown; Metal all the way.

I will post some screen shots. I have changed a lot of effects. So it will be easier to see than explain. Also since we have now 4 extra channels, I am going to experiment to produce more tone patches.

DrBGood likes this.