The Boss Katana Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DFLCC, Jul 3, 2017.

1. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

The Katana 2X12 is a close back cab. Performance wise it is a very good match for the Katana 100H.
    image.jpg

DrBGood likes this.
  2. JeffBeck

JeffBeck New Member

Well, the Katana came in and I'm super impressed with it. The tones, the ease of use, the weight! Can't add much that others haven't already said. I honestly think this is the best amp purchase I've ever made - admittedly I'm not an ampoholic like some are - but I've had a few. I immediately got rid of the Mustang III. I'm holding on to my VHT Special 6 Ultra and my Blackstar ID: Core 10 because my son steals my Katana every weekend to jam with his friends.

kat-dog.jpg

Clifdawg likes this.
  3. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Congrats, @JeffBeck!

I've been meaning to post this for a while, but I have some basic instructions to get anyone started with a Katana:

Set EQ to 12 o'clock. Start with "Crunch," turn the gain to 3 o'clock, then add Blues Driver to 9 o'clock (Booster - green setting). Adjust EQ to taste. Turn the model volume down; dime the master volume. Use volume knob on guitar.

Depending on how hot your pickups are, this will take you from almost pristine clean to thick saturation just with the volume knob. More dynamic range in the saturation I've experienced in any other amp, tubes included. :D

LawnGnomeKiller, JeffBeck and DrBGood like this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Thanks Clifdawg. Just the kind of info that needs to be shared. I'll try that right away.

5. DrBGood

Marvelous !

I have a setting that is close to that, but different. Couldn't tell you what it is though. I don't remember what I did but it sounded good, so I kept it. I have to say, I don't use the app. Maybe I should download it.

Clifdawg likes this.
  6. DrBGood

Humm ... won't install. Windows 10 :(

7. Clifdawg

That's strange. I have Windows 10 and have not had an issue with it. Installed, plugged in cable, done.

The Boss Katana doesn't come with a USB cable, but if you have a USB printer, it's probably the same cable, BTW.

It's worth noting I've only hooked it up a total of three times. Frankly, the panel has enough tone-shaping potential to last a lifetime.

DrBGood likes this.
  8. DrBGood

That's why I was kinda reluctant to download it :shock:

I'll reboot the computer and try again. There seems to be another version trying to install in the background.

9. Clifdawg

The biggest function of the tone studio is to modify the parameters of the effects and store presets. I find that the Blues Driver, Analog Delay, and Spring Reverb (all of which are on the panel) covers 95% of my needs, but there are some great things tucked away in the studio (I'm particularly fond of the Marshall Guv'ner distortion and the modulated delays).

Also, the reverbs have kind of a strange decay time by default, so tweaking that parameter can make it sound a little more natural.

The only thing I've yet to work out is how to tweak the default effects settings, but I honestly haven't looked at it too much. I'd love to set the panel to default to Treble Boost, Blues Driver, and Guv'ner distortion on the Booster knob; Analog, Digital, and Modulated Delays; Phase 90, Chorus, and Tremolo for the FX; and Plate, Hall, and Spring reverbs. If I could have it default to that (besides my one "special" channel dedicated to a rather convincing acoustic simulation), I'd never have to touch the software again.

10. santosdotcalm

santosdotcalm New Member

I have a Katana 50 I bought almost right after it came out. So far, I'm loving the amp, but I've never done an update or even tried to hook it up to my computer to use the Tone Studio editor. I don't really miss the Tone Studio stuff as I don't really see myself spending too much time with my computer fiddling with tone. I like what I can do with what's on the amp already. However, am I missing something by not updating? Is there a difference in tone or usability before or after an update? I see lots of stuff online about a version 2 update, and I honestly have no idea what version I have now, but I'm wondering if it makes a difference. Thanks for the help...

DrBGood likes this.
  11. DrBGood

Yeah ... does it change anything ? Like a new speaker would let's say. Or it only matters if you dig in the applicaion ?

12. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

The version 2 update gives you a few more effects, access to some behind the scenes tone shaping options and it doubles the number of slots to store tone presets i.e the Katana 50 could store 2 presets, now it can store 4. It gives you access to two banks of stored sounds instead of one.
    It can be handy if you use it that way, but it’s probably not essential.

DrBGood likes this.
  13. santosdotcalm

santosdotcalm New Member

Sorry, I meant does it change the sound of any of the preexisting effects or settings on the amp? I know the stuff I can do with Tone Studio, but if I never plan on plugging it into my computer for that, do any updates make a difference? Thanks again...

Clifdawg likes this.
  14. DrBGood

OK thanks. I won't go to the trouble then. I tried installing it with Windows10 and it doesn't want to.

Clifdawg likes this.
  15. Clifdawg

One of the more infuriating idiosyncracies about the Katana is the fact that, in the Tone Studio, making a change to one of the parameters on one effect changes them globally for all the effects you have assigned to that knob - so change something (e.g. "Feedback") on the Flanger, for instance, and it adjusts similarly on Phaser and Chorus. That alone negates some of the usefulness of the Tone Studio, unless you're the kind of person to keep the computer plugged in so you can store 150 preset sounds for all occasions.

Unlike the Fender Mustang series of amps, which only gets better with endless fiddling, the Katana works best if you treat it like a regular amp. Get your tone with the knobs, maybe add some reverb, and off you go.

EDIT: I will say that I downloaded a liveset yesterday with all the "sneaky amps" from the GT100 (which is secretly tucked away in the Katana's code) just for kicks. It's clear to me now that the Katana is absolutely not a modeler. Everything I tried sounded like... A Katana. I'm guessing they just took some digital models, then tweaked them significantly to interact with the rest of the amp to make it more tube-like. The Katana almost sounded confused when trying to reproduce the Vox AC model's bright gain structure through the Katana's more naturally Marshally voicing.

The exception to that rule - and one apparently discovered by other tinkerers - is the Marshall 1959 I + II model, which sounds positively glorious. That makes sense, given that the Katana's power section is supposed to emulate a Class A/B EL34 section, and the speaker is supposed to emulate a Celestion Greenback. I just can't work out why this wasn't selected over... Whatever was selected for the "Lead" voicing, since currently there's so much overlap between the better "Crunch" and "Brown" settings that it's almost totally superfluous. :hmm: For the record, I don't think the 1959 sounds anything like a 1959... But it does sound great.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  16. Clifdawg

Sorry, forgot to address this... No it does not. Other than the additional bank of presets, there's no appreciable difference between versions just working from the amp panel.

17. santosdotcalm

santosdotcalm New Member

Cool. Thanks...

18. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

I downloaded the sneaky amps live set and as you work through them they all sound very meh as a standard setting.
    It’s when you adjust the parameters like gain, volume, drive and tone in Tone Studio that they start to come alive for me. I’m not a high gain user so many of the ‘models’ don’t interest me, but I have found the Twin and the Orange models to come up with some really usable sounds for me with some tweaking. I wasn’t sold on the Vox amp models though. My AC15 does a much better job of that!
    In any case I understand that they are approximations at best and I’m more than happy with that, a good sound is a good sound, no matter what you ‘call’ it.

I like the fact that there is no tiny LCD screen to get into deep editing and I’m not really into that anyway, but I’m more than happy to create a sound in the tone studio and save it to the library in case I want to load it into the amp at a later stage.
    I also totally get that people may not like that, cos it’s a bit frustrating when you are using a patch based on a sneaky amp when it’s not connected to a computer and you andjust the channel volume and it reverts back to the default settings!

19. DrBGood

You keep piling reasons for me not to use Tone Studio, thanks.

The ONLY reason I'd get it, is to have a memory of the 4 presets I programmed, because I now don't have a clue of how I set them.

20. santosdotcalm

santosdotcalm New Member

Sometimes when I get a tone I like, I just take a picture of the top panel with my phone so I can remember the settings. Now I have unlimited presets...;)

DrBGood likes this.