The Boss Katana Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DFLCC, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

I tried the 2x12 Combo at a store yesterday. Man...I was really impressed. Sounded great! Buh even the 0.5W setting can get very loud.

I am a bit confused about the volume knobs though: there are gain, volume and master. Is "volume" the input volume of the preamp and "master" the input to the power amp? Or does "volume" drive the power amp with "master" being placed behind it as an attenuator that does not effect the tone?

2. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Gone Kemper.

I let go my Boss Katana to try the Kemper Profiler Amp. Let’s see how it goes. Never the less the Boss Katana is a GREAT amp and affordable. I still highly recommend it to anyone.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Worblehat likes this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I Googled Katana volume and master. This interesting post on how settings work on a Katana came up.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=23019.0

After watching tons of vids, reading other posts and downloading patches with drastically different volumes, it appears to me that there is confusion regarding a few things that effect volume. The majority of what I have seen is in regards to input gain and/or the 3 knob equalizer.

I also read a lengthy discussion, on a large forum (gearpage I think) with pages of replies, about the Katana’s clean channel. Someone assumed that the katana was useless for clean tones as a result of the gain knob needing to be used to get sounds out of the amp. None of the responses explained why gain is a perfectly normal requirement for the clean channel to work properly.

Below are gain and equalizer explanations and tips on their use with the Katana.

Gain

Gain is not distortion or overdrive. Gain is the volume setting for your input level. It is there to account for differences in the input signals between different guitar electronics, pickups etc. and any other instrument plugged into the amplifier. Gain is absolutely required for clean sounds even if that was not the case in other amps you may have used. Gain can cause distortion and we guitarists like that but that is a happy side effect of setting the gain too high. Gain on guitar amplifiers serve the same function as setting (gain) levels when recording mics or instruments or using a mixer. When set to 0 it sets the input level to 0 and you will not hear anything. When set too high it clips the signal creating distortion and potentially overdriving the preamp.

Many amplifiers have their gain setting start at a level other than 0 allowing an input signal even if it appears the gain is set to 0. This is causing some confusion as those amps make sounds even when gain is set at 0 and it is usually clean. Just think of the Katana as having a proper gain knob or think of it as going from 0 to 10 instead of 5-10. So, on the Katana, clean tones require gain and that is perfectly normal.

Now, regarding the equalizer. This is a can of worms it appears.

Many people are lowering the volume with the equalizer. I have seen this in most videos regarding the Katana, including setup videos and the same discussion threads.

The Equalizer knobs on the Katana, attenuate (lower the volume) of their respective frequencies, they do not boost or increase their volumes. Some other amps boost as well, meaning that turning the knob from 5 to 0 lowers the frequency while 5 to 10 boosts it.

If you start with them all set at the halfway mark, you are really setting it for the same tone as them at max but you have lowered the volume of the signal as it goes through the equalizer, lowering the overall volume as well. This can also increase volume differences between patches. So, for the Katana, you should start with them all set to max rather then 12 o'clock or halfway as is the case with many other amps when setting up a tone.

Unfortunately, if you set up patches already you cannot just crank up the equalizer settings without also adjusting the gain and volume to account for the changes, as increasing them at this point will probably introduce or add more distortion.

So how should you use the equalizer. When trying to dial in a sound you should start with getting the loudest clean signal before adding any overdrive, distortion, effects, etc. and that means allowing the full signal through the equalizer before lowering parts of it with the knobs. Below is how I do it on my Katana.

How I dial in a sound using the Katana’s Equalizer knobs. Turn the guitars volume knob all the way up. Set Bass, Mid and Treble on the Katana to their max settings, Master at halfway or an appropriate level. Set gain to about 20%. Set the preamp Volume to max. If the signal is not clean lower the gain until it is as clean as it gets for that channel. (Note: Clean depends on the channel so clean on the Crunch, Lead and Brown channels are the setting with the least distortion.)

If the signal is clean then increase the gain until it distorts, or is adding more distortion depending on the channel, and back it off until it is clean again. Once that is set the amp should be pushing the loudest signal possible to the power amplifier which uses the Master volume.

Now lower the Bass, Mid and Treble to get the best tone. When done properly the one which has the highest setting should be maxed. If you have them all lowered try setting the highest one to max and turning the others up by the same amount as that one was moved. As an example; Bass is at 4, Mid at 5 and Treble at 7. Increase Treble by 3 to ten then increase Bass and Mid by 3 as well. Final setting would be; Bass at 7, Mid at 8 and Treble at 10(max). If it introduces distortion, lower the preamp gain to clean it up.

You should now have the loudest clean signal going through the amp. After this is set up to your liking then add in your gain and effects to get the sound you are going for and tweak those equalizer controllers again as needed for your tone while keeping them as high as possible. I also tweak the gain at the end of the process to match the guitar I am using with that patch so the volume on the guitar affects the tone.

This can also fix some differences in the volume between channels, patches, etc.

4. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Interesting post, especially the note about the passive equalizer knobs! I knew there are pedals with tone knobs that just attenuate, but I though the EQ on amps is always neutral on 12 o'clock and boosting when turned up more.
    Still no details about what tha master volume does. But if I remember correctly from some Youtube-Review I've watched, they said the master volume does not effect the tone as the Katana has no simulation of power amp distortion...

5. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

I didnt read through the pages but I saw these were on sale for $155 pick up in store yesterday only. I almost caved but wtf would I do with 50w? As said the.5w is loud. I know it is on my Monoprice.

6. DrBGood

Ah, but that's a tube amp.

Lynurd Fireburd likes this.
  7. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

Yes & I also failed to mention it's 1w.

DrBGood likes this.
  8. fos1

fos1 Member

I currently have a Boss Katana 50. I purchased a Katana Head through Amazon and received it yesterday. It is the one with the builtin 5" speaker. I chose that model for its versatility. Looking it over, I found that "Amp Type" selector knob was loose and wobbly from the inside, not the knob itself. It still seemed to function properly but I don't think it would have survived long and it drove me crazy. The same knob on the 50 is solid. I sent it back to Amazon for a refund today.

Observations: The built in speaker did not produce near the sound level that even my Roland Micro Cube GX could produce. The clean setting was the worst. With settings including boost and gain I could gain volume but not without distortion. I was disappointed. It could be that this is a defective unit that has been previously returned by someone else. Even so, I probably won't order another.

I intend to wait awhile for the reviews of the Nextones to come in. The Katana 100 is probably just what I need but, maybe an Artist. ;)

Jeff

9. fos1

fos1 Member

Posted on the BOSS Facebook page - November 27, 2018

BOSS will release Katana Version 3 software update in late December 2018!
    This software update includes exciting expansion to your Katana amps. Please check the newly added features:

Effects selection expanded to 61 different types; Roland DC-30 Analog Chorus-Echo, BOSS GE-10 Graphic Equalizer, and 95E pedal wah added. You can assign favorite effects parameters to the front-panel effects knobs and up to three expression pedals. Also enable to record with stereo mod, EQ, delay, and reverb effects in a DAW via USB.

The release date and more information will be updated on boss.info soon.

The Katana Version 3 update will be available for KTN-50, KTN-100, KTN-100/212, KTN-HEAD, and KTN-Artist.

Raiyn likes this.
  10. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

Band name alert!!!! "sneaky amp shenanigans". Consider it copyrighted. :smile:

Raiyn, LawnGnomeKiller and fos1 like this.
  11. Russ Golla

Russ Golla New Member

I have joined the club, kinda.... I picked up a 100 1x12 from Sweetwater for x-mas. I just opened it to make sure it works and is in good shape then had to re-box it. The boss says I can't have it till x-mas day....Son-of-a. Well, at least it's under the tree for now.

12. DrBGood

:rofl: If da boss says so :rofl:

Just don't tape the box. Sometimes she must go get groceries or see friends or something.

fos1 and jtees4 like this.
  13. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Dang man those bosses are tough ... mine says I can't buy a new amp until my birthday ( april ) so I am looking at the Artist or maybe something not yet announced from NAMM 2019.

Looks like the artist is the winner for now ( but I can wait it out ha ha I do have a Katana Air as my primary practice amp now ).

14. DrBGood

I hope you use your air guitar with it.

15. GrumpyOldDBA

Ummm it has a bluetooth transmitter?

16. DrBGood

You should use a air cable.

Where does the Bluetooth name comes from ? Doesn't make sense to me.

17. fos1

fos1 Member

Roland just announced on Facebook that the software update to Version 3 for Tone Studio will be available for download on December 21, 2018.

18. GrumpyOldDBA

Its a type of wireless radio wave transmitter.

19. DrBGood

Haha .. I know that, but why the name ? Blue dentures ?

20. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member