The Boss Katana Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DFLCC, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

That answer was honestly way cooler than I was anticipating. History FTW! :dude:

83 Blazer likes this.
  2. fos1

fos1 Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  3. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

Anyone looking...I still have a Mint Katana 100 Head and the Foot Controller for sale.

4. poppunk

poppunk Member

I got the Katana Head a few weeks ago on sale for a specific purpose, and so far it's good for that.

I practice with my band(s) at a practice space in the city that rents by the hour. They have a backline, but their guitar amp inventory is pretty much exclusively Marshall HDFX 100 watt amps and (cheap) Marshall 4x12 cabs. You can get a somewhat decent sound out of these to cut through distorted with the band if you have hot enough pickups and are willing to stab ears with the shrilly high end and sound like a fizz master. The best I've seen someone dial one of these in is equivalent to a Metal Zone into a crappy 10W solid state amp.

The other guitar player in my main band (skate punk) is a kind of a metal head and tends to play with his mids dropped out, but he's caught onto the fact that I can cut through with mids and now he's starting to get there too. Whatever sound you can cut through with those Marshall heads is already being taken up by one guitar player.

My main amp is a Fender Mustang GT 100. I actually sold my tube combo (big jump for me, always hated solid state and modeling before) and got this because I wanted something that didn't require me to have different pedals and settings depending on what guitar I was plugging into it and what style I was playing. It sounds badass in this band (even though there are some pretty strong haters of it). It's lightweight (~22 lbs) but it's still kind of a pain to lug in across multiple city blocks up stairs to a practice space, especially in the winter.

So I got a Katana 100 head so I could slap it on one of the 4x12s at the practice space and go. It's working out well; it weights about as much as the entire Mustang GT combo, but it is small enough it fits into one of the smaller internal frame backpacks I have and carry it around easy.

A lot of people are pretty animated about how the two sound against each other; I'm not that guy trying to squeeze the perfect sound out of my "tone" so I'm not going to really address that. I like what I have on the Mustang and it's still my primary show amp.

One serious functional problem I have with the Katana is that it doesn't have the flexibility on the fly like the Mustang does. The Mustang has a panel on the top of it that lets me adjust anything on the amp without a computer or device hooked into it. Tweaking the Katana away from home is limited to what I can do on the limited panel it has.

The other thing the Mustang allows me to do is have a lot of presets to switch between (200). I have about five different guitars I play through it on a regular basis. With the Katana being limited to eight presets, it's limited in that respect.

I'm sort of in/out of a specific (tribute) cover band right now. The Mustang is awesome for that sort of thing if the band uses lots of effects and you're playing across different albums to emulate. And if you're in a cover band that does all sorts of stuff from different bands? Huge flexibility, even with the ability to make set lists to just keep clicking through presets as you play.

The Mustang has a lot of different amps built into it. The Katana has the sneaky amps stuff, but it's not inherent and it's not supported (and really not as flexible).

Both are pretty awesome in their own ways and I'm not dogging anybody's gear. They're both stupid cheap for something that is a decent enough approximation of amps and effects that you can just pick and choose from.

I'm likely going to get the Jet City 2x12 vertical cabinet to go with this Katana head. If I dial it in good enough it will probably work well for my punk band. And might be a better option for some circumstances.

Clifdawg and DrBGood like this.
  5. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

It's good to hear from someone who likes their Mustang 100. I had the 150-watt 2x12 Mustang V.2 for a while and thought that it was an outstanding amplifier (LOUD as heck, too). I've heard that the 100's weakness is primarily in the speaker, but that the global EQ settings introduced in the new update help a lot with that.

I still think the Katana 100 makes it easier to dial up a good tone... But the effects section is *very* limited in comparison to the Mustang series.

Should have never gotten rid of either amp... Although I do very much like the Marshall DSL I'm using now...