The Boss Katana Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DFLCC, Jul 3, 2017.

1. chicagoslim

chicagoslim Active Member

Thanks.

I've got a Celestion G12-65 and an Eminence Lil' Texas. The G12-65 is massive, and would add to the weight, if it fits. The Lil' Texas has a neodymium magnet, that would both be lighter and louder. But stock speaker has worked better than I expected, chasing sounds from my SCXD. The more I play around with it, the more I like it.

2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

What do you find lacking in regards to the cabinet?

3. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Just very cheaply made, but again, that's to be expected at the price point.
    It seems to be 1/2" MDF and the bracing is glued-in and not too durable looking, and the baffle vibrates pretty freely. I have a feeling it would rattle itself apart if played loud on a regular basis, which I don't do so I don't care. Given the popularity of the amps I bet it won't take long before cabinet makers have proper baltic birch upgrade cabs with real baffle boards available.

4. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

I decided to go with just the head so the cabinet construction is really not a problem.

Scootermuppet and LDS like this.
  5. chicagoslim

The basket of my speakers, wouldn't clear the chassis. Looks like I'm using the stock speaker.

I'm staying on the Clean and Crunch channels. Lead and Brown channels, have a lot of white noise.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    grausch and Scootermuppet like this.
  6. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

This.... just add your own cab

:thumb:

Sp8ctre likes this.
  7. Scootermuppet

IIRC, there a noise gate you can add in with the editor software?

I've not spent as much time in there as I wanted to, so someone will probably let us know...

8. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I had to remove the chassis to get the speaker to fit, but even with the rather large motor assembly on the ET-65 it fit fine when I reassembled.

[​IMG]

I had to solder the leads as well as the stock speaker has a non-standard size lug.

I felt the lead channel was noisy but not so much the brown, which is what I use most of the time. It cleans up like a tube amp when you roll back the guitar volume. Any of the OD/Distortion effects are super noisy so I tend no to use them.

9. chicagoslim

Yea, I removed the chassis. The Lil' Texas has a small 4oz magnet. It usually fits in any amp. If I due order a new speaker, at least now I know the ET65 will fit.

10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

There is.

11. chicagoslim

I lucked out, and have a Fender amp cover, that seems to fit the Katana 50. I'm not sure which amp it was made for. It fit loosely, on my 10" combo amps. The Blues Junior cover, looks to be a 1/2" too narrow.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Scootermuppet likes this.
  12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

If you figure out which one it is, let me know. The custom covers are a bit more than I'd like to spend.

chicagoslim likes this.
  13. chicagoslim

I own several 10" combo's, and have bought a bought 4 different size covers. I thought that the biggest, was the Blues Junior size. But the listed dimensions, come up about a half inch short. The next time I order strings, I'll probably order the BJ size. It would fit my SCXD or Kustom Defender V15, if it doesn't fit the KTN50.

The Fender covers sell for $15.95, which is a lot cheaper than any other covers that I've found.

Update: I checked the inside tabs, on the cover. It does say "BLUESJR 005 4912 000".

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  14. Scootermuppet

I was lucky, my 100w head came with a nice cover included...

:thumb:

IMG_0799.JPG

15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

That works for me. I'll order one shortly.

16. LDS

LDS Member

Awright ya bastages!!!

To make a short story long...

About a month ago I was babysitting the 3 year old grandson, and as usual he wanted to go to Sam Ash. The folks there are pretty cool and they let him play all the drum kits and get a kick out of watching him. So while we're in there I end up talking with another customer about Katanas. Turned out he had one for sale, he'd purchased the 100-watt head and decided he wanted a combo instead. He quoted me a good price on it, and we exchanged phone numbers.

Fast forward to late last week. After thinking about it for a while, and scraping together some fundage, I gave him a call. We were going to head to Clarksville (where the guy lives) that night to see a buddy of mine play. Figured, what the hell, since we're going to be there anyway, may as well get the amp. He apologized and said he'd listed it on eBay and couldn't end the auction early for a local sale.

So I bid on it.

And won.

So now, I'm getting it for less than we'd discussed, and it's being delivered instead of having to drive out there to pick it up.

Probably the last thing I need right now is another guitar amp. I'm a bassist that just messes around on the guitar for fun and already have a bunch of amps (Silvertone, Peavey, Fender, Line 6, Orange, Alamo, Yamaha, and some home-made stuff) but reading all the stuff posted by the rabid following around here has convinced me that my SG needed one.

Probably looking to use it as a studio tool more than (obviously) gigging or practice. From what I read, it's supposed to be pretty decent for reamping. I really like the idea of trying it in that capacity, there are a bunch of DI tracks in the session files for an album I worked on last year and want to see if it can craft some better tones that what we ended up with. The guys were using all-in-one floor units for their sounds (Digitech & Boss) and it took a lot of EQing to get them to sit in the mix. Looking forward to seeing how the Katana will do.

Pretty excited, it should arrive Saturday.

17. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Have you played your XD through a 1X12 or a 2X12 cab ? It becomes a very different beast. If so, how would you say it compares to the Katana, tonewise without effects.

18. chicagoslim

My buddy is more of a hair band guy, and always plays his SCXD through a 4X12 cabinet. Since I have been fronting groups, I haul a PA, speakers and monitors, I've down sized to mainly 10" combo's. I like the sound of an Eminence Legend 105, and have them in 3 amps. They actually sound good, in a small cabinet. I wish that the Katana was a 10" combo, so that I could use a Legend 105, in it. I was close to buying a Marshal Code 25 10" combo.

I've played the SCXD through my Vox TB18C1, with a 12" Eminence Legend Lil' Texas speaker. It's a large 12" combo, made of all plywood. The SCXD sounds great through it. But if I bring the TB18C1 (for an outdoor show), I bi-amp it with a SCXD. I use a Y-cable out of my Zoom MFX pedal, to split the signal. The Zoom pedal has the best effects, next the Kantana, with the SCXD being usable, but the poorest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

grausch likes this.
  19. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

OK... so I'll say it's good enough for my studio noodling sessions then. No need to go Katana.

20. LDS

LDS Member

OK, had some time to mess around with the Katana and Tone Studio. Some observations...

As a 100 watt head, it makes the best practice amp ever with it's little internal speaker. I have a spot for it in my office and use it hooked up to Tone Studio on an all-in-one PC off to my side.

The PC sees it as an audio interface, which is very cool. Makes reamping DI tracks through it a breeze. Loop a section and tweak it with Tone Studio until you nail the tone. That also makes it really easy to compare the sound through various cabinets.

So far, it sounds best through an old GK 2X12 I've had forever. It's not bad through a 4X12. Hooking it to a 15" bass cab is kind of cool, a Ric through it with some extreme Brown settings is like instant Lemmy.

The amp emulations, especially some of the Sneaky Amps are quite good. But it does lack some of the feel you get from the 'bloom' and 'sag' of a real tube amp. Right now I'm particularly fond of the Orange model.

It would be nice to have more flexibility in the stompbox patching, particularly the noise gate, and it would be nice to be able to stack overdrives. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Overall I couldn't be happier with any amp at this price point.

grausch, Sp8ctre and Raiyn like this.