The Boss Katana Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DFLCC, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

No worries. It didn't click. I've been through it - a new whizz-bang thing and it didn't float my boat no big whoop.

Like I said however, there are a metric crapload of patches, pedals, and tweaks out there both official and third-pàrty, if you can't find a tone once you get into it.....

Clifdawg likes this.
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Thanks Clifdawg. It's not often that someone dares to go against the grain on such a popular item. Refreshing.

I concur that the Valvetronix game is a good and inexpensive one. As much as the Katana reviews are tempting me, I'm real happy with my 10 year old AD30VT.

3. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Amps are a fairly personal choice IMHO, so one amp is never gonna tick everyone's boxes

I thought the KN50 was going to tick most of mine - and it did at first - but there's a few features it's bigger brothers had that got me jealous... but I couldn't see an even louder amp fitting my needs (mostly practice, with the occasional rock out at a practice room) when I'd only be using it properly now and then).

And then I discovered the 100w head :D all the features of the bigger ones, but excellent for quiet (but no less toneful) practice due to the adding of a 5" speaker in the head! Genius...

And I can plug it in to a cab when I want to make some noise at the practice room too! Almost like they asked me what I'd like in an amp! 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12 - take your pick!

Even with the little speaker, if it's driven properly (channel vol and master volume full up, overall level controlled by amp power switch and vol on guitar) it really does behave like a tube amp to my ears, roll off the guitar vol on crunchy or even higher gain tones, and it cleans up sweetly - ok, it won't be exactly the same, but those folks at Boss have sure got a ways down that road...

Seeing as anything other than a tiny tube amp would be overkill (and out of budget) for me right now, it fills my needs just fine.

Throw the footswich and effects in the mix, and I'm a happy bunny :D and I haven't even started digging around in the Midi possibilities, and only scratched the surface of the effects through the editor :shock:

Different strokes for different folks, but do your homework and if your situation is similar to mine, you could do a lot worse for the money than take a look at a Katana...YMMV, of course.

Bob

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You did see where they updated Tone Studio and the firmware right? The big takeaway is that they doubled the patch storage slots K50 gets four and the 100's have eight now.

5. Scootermuppet

Yep, spotted that one thanks Raiyn :cheers: - haven't had time to upgrade yet tho! :facepalm: But it's on my 'to do' list :thumb:

6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

No worries, I haven't done mine yet either. I'll get to it soon enough though, then I'll go do the update for @Dave Johnson.

Scootermuppet likes this.
  7. lcw

lcw Active Member

For those that do the update, know that with with a simple unlatching switch (eg. FS-5U), you can easily switch between banks A & B with your GA-FC... (so on a K100, you get 8 preset channels, easily switchable... otherwise you have to hold hold the 'panel' switch for 1-sec I believe... )

Katana_SG_GA-FC_FS-5U.jpg

grausch likes this.
  8. Scootermuppet

I remember you (& him!) saying he's not a computer guy . Seems like a fair trade for his luthier skills & help :thumb:

9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

While Dave's skills are way more than a fair trade, I'd do it for him even if he had the luthier skills of a baked potato. He's a cool guy to hang with.

10. Scootermuppet

I bet he is - just works out even better when you trade some skills and knowledge :thumb:

11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Oh, no doubt about that. He seems to enjoy the things that would drive me bonkers. Then again stuff I find an absolute dawdle I find that he'll remark about my patience.

Scootermuppet likes this.
  12. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Your opinion is valuable and opens very good discussion points. to Quote you "of robust build quality, it was attractive, it was feature-rich, it was intuitive, and it was very well-priced" but " it mostly sounded like a hi-fi unit reproducing the sounds of a more expensive amp in another room being mic'd up in a good isolation cab". Resetting to factory settings fixed that for me when I tried it before I bought it.

Like you I sat down at the local GC and played the amp to disappointment, it truly let me down. Raiyn let me down because his description of the Katana on this forum describe it as magnificent. But what I failed to recognize that all the demo amps at GC suffer from one symptom everyone mess with them and Modeling Amps more that any amp. The one I was playing have been tweaked with and basically all parameters changed. After expressing my disappointment to the sale rep, who also swore by it, he did a quick factory reset and them every thing changed. The factory presets are pretty amazing and great starting points to start tweaking from. I bought the KTN50 only to exchange it for KTN100 a few weeks later because I did relay want an effect loop to connect my looper and open up all the benefit of incorporating the amp effects in to the loops. It took me even more time to start tweaking with the software and tweak the amp to my own tone. My favorite future is the .5W. The amp sit next to my bed, accessible to play at any time. Its gain stage is also dinamic meaning that it response to the pick attack or the guitar volume roll off, that will be more prominent depending on the selected Amp Type. Now compared to the Line 6 Spider IV which I have own in the past the Katana 100 is way way far ahead. I owned that amp for a few day before returning it. Look up my review in this forum if you want. To the Marshall CODE 50 which I did like and also reviewed here and lasted in my hands about a year, I would say close but yet the Katana 100 leaps ahead. This is the problem of modeling amps and digital technology that it is bound to be obsolete in a short spam of time and bound to be replaced by the newer thing. Roland have done great in maintaining the software up to date which have possibly has kept the amp alive and selling like hot cakes.

True, this is not a tube amp and it would not be fair to compare it to and EVH 5150 or a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a Fender Blues Deluxe or a Marshall DSL40C or even a Blues Jr, so I wont. But based on my personal experience if I had to get rid of all of the above and keep one amp it will be a KTN100. Why? affordable $349, Effect Loop (for loopers), the effect options, the power control (.5W, 50W and 100W).

I am probably the only person to have experienced problems with the amp. it took but to move a control knob to fix oversensitive setting.

I have no experience with the Vox VT40X so I can't comment on it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Clifdawg likes this.
  13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I let you down somehow, it wasn't intentional. I pride myself in giving unvarnished opinions so if you felt misled, I'm sorry.
    I got mine factory fresh, it never experienced shop rat goochery.

14. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Active Member

Never thought about this, you bring up an interesting point about noodlers tweaking settings on demo amps. I'm also not afraid to admit there could be some user error on my part. I might give this a try next time I drop by... Thanks for that insight.

I don't mind tweaking - I did that endlessly with my Fender Mustang IV (and I still haven't totally written off the Mustang III, since I got rid of the IV only because it was too dang big), but I guess I expected the Katana to be more like my Blackstar ID:Core - plug in, decide how much raunch and grunt I want in my signal, and play gee-tar. I suppose the Katana probably takes a little more fine-tuning, like the Mustang; I didn't fiddle with the knobs all *that* much during my playtime.

15. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

I feel the Katana mini is on par or even better than the Blackstar Fly3. If I were working right now, I probably might have one already. The Blackstar Fly3 is one of the best mini amps I've played so far. I don't know of another better one except maybe the Katana. I appreciate the tone these put out. I remember talking to people from Roland at the NAMM show when the first version of the flagship one came out. They were pretty stoked about their product.

16. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

LOL Raiyn, I was been sarcastic. You sold it right.

Raiyn likes this.
  17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Ok.

18. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Tone Studio Patches are here. This where provided by Boss them self. I ran into this at the Boss Katana Tone Studio website. I have not tried it yet but I am looking forward to test drive some of this patches.

I am including the link here just in case you want to give it a try.

http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/category/katana/

Anyone has figured out some cool settings. Feel free to share them with us. Post your Tone Studio settings here.

19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

They're directly accessible via the Tone Studio software. :cheers: