The Gibson SG A Short History from You Tube channel Five Watt World

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Scott Hutchens, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Scott Hutchens

Scott Hutchens New Member

Great brand new 26 minute history of the SG by Five Watt World

Dave, Epiphan, Satellitedog and 3 others like this.
  2. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Love Keith's channel. You can tell he puts lots of work into his videos. They always have 100% of my attention

Logan likes this.
  3. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Hey, I watched that yesterday. Popped up on my FireStick. I gave it a watch. It's definitely worth watching. All the material seems to come from that SG book by Tony Bacon, but it is a nicely done and up to date.

One thing I didn't realize was that the Norlin SGs were just one year. Regardless of quality, wouldn't that make them super valuable to collectors?

4. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Where did you see this in the video? Wouldn't the Norlin era span the entire 70s into the 80s?

koaguilds and arcticsg like this.
  5. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

I think he’s only referring to the design change of the ‘71 SG models with the top access control panel and cover mounted pots. The way the video tells it, Gibson only produced them for one year, and once they were finally all sold out of them by ‘73, they mostly went back to the way they were. But yeah, the Norlin era was like 15+ years.

6. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Ah gotcha. That makes sense.

7. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I thought.

But in the video from 14:00 to 16:00, he goes through all the changes on the Norlin SGs and then specifically says at 15:29, "All of this change lasted for one year."

He even goes on to say that the guitars reverted back to the way they were (bevels returned, metal control plates gone...) after just one year of Norlin changes.

The video really does make it seem that the Norlin SGs were just one year and then the classic styled SGs were manufactured and returned to the market after the old Norlin stock was sold off. Maybe that's the way it was. One year of redesigned SGs, two or three years of selling those off, then back to the old stylings.

8. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

I never knew there was a secret electronics compartment between the fingerboard and neck pickup. Tricky those Gibson guys.

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Ink-Stamped serial numbers were discontinued in 1960, and are now reserved for Custom Shop Reissues. The serial number shown at 6:08 is not ink stamped. It is debossed (indented into the wood by a die).

[​IMG]

1961-62
    Juniors and Specials had Wraparound bridge sans lightning bar that was slanted at an angle in relation to the pickup.

1963-1971
    Juniors and Specials had Wraparound bridge with lightning bar that was installed parallel in relation to the pickup. The Short Vibrola was an option on Juniors and Specials only.

1961-62
    Standards and Customs had Sideways Vibrola

1963-1971
    Standards and Customs had Maestro Vibrola

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    arcticsg likes this.