The Great Southern Revival That Almost Was.

Discussion in 'General Music' started by rotorhead, Aug 13, 2017.

1. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I wrote a piece a few years ago with the same title but the website is now defunct and I don't have my old notes, but here goes...

During a time when hair bands were finally being stomped out with the remaining ones forced to adopt a new approach, and just prior to the soon to arrive grunge onslaught, there was a mini revival going on Down South.

In the late 80s and into the early 90s there was a movement happening led by a few bands such as The Black Crowes and The Georgia Satellites and others. The LA scene was burnt out and people were searching for something a little more down home. While Guns N Roses exploded out west, the Southeast was starting to flourish again. From the ashes of 'Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers came this return to simple rock and roll based heavily on traditional blues and whisky.

With the relative success of inaugural releases from the Crowes and the Satellites, both on radio and even on MTV, others started popping up. Bands like Cry of Love, Brother Cain and The Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies helped float the idea that South was indeed, rising again. Their success helped breathe new life into the older bands, as well. The older, more famous fathers of Southern Rock took to reunions and new releases and enjoyed their own personal revivals.

And then...Seattle happened.

Just as the revival down South was beginning to take shape, the totality of the Seattle scene washed over everything and left a path of destruction in its wake.

It was beautiful while it lasted, though. Today, most of the bands are gone, leaving some great music behind. I tip my hat to those who almost brought sanity back to the music scene all those years ago.

jvin248 likes this.
  2. LDS

LDS Member

Brother Cain was great! Had the pleasure to see them many times, and a guy from the Huntsville, AL scene ended up playing with them for a while.

A couple others from the same era were Gravy (I think from the Birmingham area as well) and the vastly underappreciated Raging Slab.

Oh yeah, and there was Jackyl as well. Too bad most people only know them through Jesse's chainsaw antics, they were great live.

rotorhead likes this.
  3. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Jackyl...another good one. Do you remember their impromptu kmart show they did to protest the chain not carrying their album lol?