The Itty Bitty Acca-Dacca Committee

Discussion in 'General Music' started by PermissionToLand, Apr 12, 2019.

1. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

As *true SG fanatics*, we all know AC/DC is where it started!

I'll start this off with the continuation of the other thread we hijacked:

I believe Mal was still using that White Falcon for FTATR, right? So I just compared it back to back with BIB and here are my impressions: Incredibly similar tones, with ever so slightly more gain on BIB. A little louder in the mix on FTATR, but I think almost everything is a little louder on FTATR anyway. Here's a good comparison test: listen to the left channel (Mal) on What Do You Do For Money and Evil Walks back to back, because both start with spacey open E and G chords. Mal has more bottom end in FTATR but it sounds more like EQ than his actual tone having changed to me. More treble, too.

I also compared Angus's tones and they are more different than I expected. Here, I think there's a little more gain with FTATR, and most surprisingly, more mids. He has a much more modern sound there. Maybe even closer to FOTS than BIB? Definitely not as raw as BIB. Less treble. If I had to guess, I might lean towards Tarbacks on FTATR. But of course, the different production, mastering and possibly amp could be the explanation, too. I compared with FOTS and the difference was noticeably more gain on FOTS, but not excessive. That gain kind of masks the tone somewhat from any further comparison.

I'll also add to that now that FOTW increased gain for both guitars. Mal is pretty quiet on this album but he sounds almost like Angus did on FOTS. Angus really kicked up the gain here, and this is what I would say was the most he ever used. One tough thing about analyzing FOTW is that its pretty inconsistent. Obviously the Youngs didn't know much about production so you get some like the title track which just sound terrible, while some like First Blood and Sink the Pink are at least decent.

Who Made Who: Malcolm back to a FOTS or FTATR style tone here. Angus dialing back the gain and sounding more like FOTS or FTATR on the title track, but dialing it back up for DT and Chase the Ace, interestingly. Thank god Vanda and Young came back to produce! What a difference. Still no Mutt Lange but they do a quality job. Also, I just wanna point out the killer solos Angus pulls out on this album, especially on the overlooked DT and Chase the Ace.

BUYV: One of my biggest complaints on the production here is that the guitars (and vocals) are too low, so that makes it tougher to compare. Not sure why after WMW was mixed well by Vanda/Young. The only thing that really stands out in the mix is Simon's soul-less drum machine performance. God knows why. (Okay, I'm hard on Simon because frankly, he was terrible live, but he did have at least some groove on FOTW and WMW. He must have really just checked out by BUYV. But I digress). Malcolm sounds pretty good here, much like WMW, a classic Mal tone. A standout is the breakdown on Go Zone. An underrated classic Mal rhythm riff right there. Angus is also much like WMW tone-wise, maybe a little cleaner.

pancake81, Ray and arcticsg like this.
  2. PermissionToLand

I went looking for studio pictures and I found a few that are supposedly from 1980 during the BIB sessions.

Looks like Angus was using batwing SGs. In this first pic, possibly the same red one from LTBR the Movie with the uncovered neck pickup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should join an AC/DC forum and see if I can get help finding studio pics. Haven't had any luck beyond BIB.

3. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Too one is 100% BIB, compass point studios (no longer with us unfortunately).

Second I would bet is close to the same date, but can’t say definitively.

It’s amazing what material is available on ACDC sites. It would shock the boys themselves

arcticsg and PermissionToLand like this.
  4. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

I'm always blown away when I watch this concert. That fucking rhythm section. I wonder to myself how they did this for 90 minutes. For 40+ years. Christ.

papagayo, musicman2242, Ray and 3 others like this.
  5. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Ahhh.. so nice to be unfettered on a thread about the one and only ACDC.. I just got my 76 back with new frets.. new harmonica and new Vineham T-Tops.. with Bone nut.. Also just returned from Sarasota.. (looking for Brian J).. i hear he hangs out at a french backery on Saturdays looking for french baguette and butter for his morning eggs.. (not kidding.. article in Sarasota paper).. or looking for his 1928 Bently cruising Longboat Key.. well.. anyway.. I just wanted to comment on those older early 70's marshalls.. (4 inputs still.. no master vol?).. that did come in 1976 however.. but these amps looks like earlier JPMs..

PS - justing playing the intro to "Shoot to thrill" with T-tops and Solodallas Storm pedal via a Splawn quickrod on low gain.. hit it like never before.. I dont have Angus's skill to claim its a perfect match.. plus i dont have greenbacks.. working on that..

PermissionToLand likes this.
  6. PermissionToLand

I would imagine Brian is busy with whatever those Vancouver recording sessions turned out to be, right now.

They kept using the old ones without a master volume for large venues and recording along with the MVs. Angus claimed in interviews that they never used the MVs but you can see them in old photos. I think he may have used them for solos more often, although I believe Powerage was all on a 2203.

You should upload a clip of your newly refurbished SG!

ruster1 likes this.
  7. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

I will work on the clip..I need a Focusrite PC interface.. let me see if my pics are correct size format from my phone..or I'll have to post from my PC
    Good point about powerage as I think Angus was pushing greenbacks hard on that album. I am not sure that what they used touring was recorded with. I still have doubts that Mal recorded with the white falcon..but liked it on stage??.. I have to learn to record vid or at least get a PC interface like a focusrite to get some clips down..here are a few pics after reducing file size.. my luthier did a great job..not much fingerboard chipping..he thought the lowest frets we're original..but the uppers had been changed before ..very happy with it..love the neck on this one..took a chance and hit one out of the park..in this guitar for less than 1100 ..like new if not better as it has my touch on it 20190416_195327_resized.jpg 20190416_195352_resized_1.jpg 20190416_195517_resized_1.jpg 20190416_195642_resized.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  8. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Does anyone know if Angus EVER uses the neck pickup?..it's obvious when he picks lightly or uses the volume pot..but I don't really remember a song hearing it at any time..??

9. PermissionToLand

You know, I always assumed he used the Falcon for BIB and FTATR, but maybe not. Here's a pic supposedly from Compass Point 1980:

[​IMG]

arcticsg likes this.
  10. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Hard to say..he could have had #1 in the guitar shop for a major rebuild and liked the falcon for touring until #1 was done..Mal had plenty of mods over the years too..just not written about as much

11. PermissionToLand

Here's another cool (unrelated) pic I found:

[​IMG]

I always thought they used a recent picture, like from TRE tour.

12. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

VERY interesting find there.. young angus sells.. lol.. here is a link to a guy playing the VINEHAM pups.. (classic 6070's) set i bought.. even in a 70 SG to boot.. have been looking at the Dr Dan hand wired amps and this black flag replica sounds good.. i think his EQ may need some manipulation.. too much treble in my opinion.. around 5:15 ish check out the "have a drink on me" sounds.. very authentic.. Those Canadian's love there ACDC.. !!

13. PermissionToLand

Nobody ever plays the lick right... drives me nuts. But yeah, that's the tone alright!

ruster1 likes this.
  14. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

It's like the intro to "you shook me" too many people are putting too many notes in there..I try to study the boys playing and note the small details.. people butcher the intro finger style on "put the finger on you" as Angus plays it totally in 7th position on A,D,G and B strings..no movement ..no stretching..he is a minimalist in his style..

15. PermissionToLand

Yeah, I think the dual guitarwork there gets people confused. I didn't even notice Mal's part for years!

Funny, I always played Put the Finger at the 12th, but I only ever half-learned it anyway. Of all the songs on FTATR, I tend to jam to that one the least (and Get it Up, but only because it's not A440). Underrated album though, for sure. It's funny how stuff like FOTW and BUYV get more attention for being underrated than FTATR, when in actuality, FTATR seems to be the most forgotten album in many ways.

Yeah, most professional guitarists don't make themselves stretch like crazy, which is why it's disappointing how many official tab books will tell you to make absurd stretches that could otherwise be easily achieved.

ruster1 likes this.
  16. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

I was also shocked to see how Angus plays "the jack" as one can stretch like crazy there..but he just plays single notes on the first line..(correction, on the verse on the soft parts for single notes and double stops) up on 1st and 2nd positions..once again..no stretching for Angus..both he and Mal slide their hands up the neck to hit the "stretch parts" .. sounds right..FTATR had some fantastic songs..love that album.. Evil Walks is very clever.. as is COD and Knight of the Long knives..

Another fun fact on put the finger is that live Angus skips much of the finger style and doubles up on power open cords with Mal..bigger fatter sound live on that one..

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  17. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Did you strip the finish or did they make "naked wood", unfilled SGs back in the 70s?

18. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

On "Have a Drink"? It sounds pretty good to me. What's the right way to play it?

19. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

I bought this '76 like you see it, headstock break and all last December for a good deal. Headstock breaks if repaired well don't bother me and looked to be 100% especially since the refinish you could see how well it held. The goal was to get her back to like new. Don't know the original color (brown, red or burst most likely choices for 76). When taking the pickups out i saw the "sparkle silver paint" in the cavity. I am guessing its past life it was a disco era 70's rocker? It also has a dowel inserted in hole near the Volume - switch area where a phase toggle may have been (front pickup was also flipped.. my next clue). Than being said, the finish was stripped, the toggle removed and filled and the body sanded and stained dark walnut (looks like minwax to me). It appears to have wipe on polly satin finish. Unfortunately the painted on serial number was lost in the process, but the pots are original and dated to 1976. (could be a 77?, not sure)

Interesting when i had the pups replaced, my luthier told me he investigated my pup selector which is no longer "L" shaped switch but a short vertical switch (most likely to fit the former toggle beside it) and he could not identify the switch manufacturer at all even with numbers on it. (He has been at this for over 40 years)

Long story short, I now have what I wanted, which is a 1 9/16 nut rounded C shape neck SG with new frets, bone nut, T-tops and new bridge for under $1100. The neck on this guitar is rock solid, great feel and cowboy cords are so easy to switch between. The neck widens as you go toward the heel. Plus i dont have to worry about scratching it. My 1986 SG-62 has a wafer thin neck in comparison and the neck is quite easy to get vibrato by over handling it.

20. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Not sure what Permission to Land has to say on the subject as his version here is quite good, but toward that main riff he is mixing Angus and Mal parts a bit, especially toward the end of the riff. Before the closing part of the riff C/A cords he is playing the open A/D cord.. (this is malcolm's part).. Angus is playing the double stops still on 5th and 7th frets before finishing the riff with C/A cords joining Mal.. I am not a great player but have tried to study these guys as the nuances between the brothers is so clever.. in any case.. i often mix parts to make it sound bigger with only one guitar in the mix.. This tone is crazy good though.. awesome in fact.. when I was researching T-tops, manlius, brandon wound and Vinham.. this vid actual made my final decision.. Craig is a great guy, reasonable Canadian dollar pricing and even told me to give him a month when we was done working in the oil fields in Canada before he was back in Newfoundland to wind my set.. (worth the wait).. they sound great and authentic.. look his web site up.. he even makes an overwound version of the 6070's T-top.. I kept mine authentic.. about 7.8k on the ohm meter..