The last pieces are on their way... but first a game?

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Raiyn, Jul 31, 2016.

1. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

So covered pickups or not covered ?

ScottMarlowe likes this.
  2. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

Looking forward to your tone report.

Raiyn likes this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

So basically exactly what I'm doing then? :thumb::dude:

The S22 series is the covered version, which makes no sense because like the Guitar World guy I'da thunk C = Covered, but apparently it means 'classic".

[​IMG]

Prior to ordering, I did confirm that the S22 series uses the same tabs as the C22 series.

[​IMG]

So it'll have three tapped holes and therefore ought to work with my Triple shots. The only really funky things are the flip between the slug and screw coils being opposite to "normal" polarity and wiring harness color differences, which I've taken into account by quickly photoshopping this diagram together.

Carvin-Wiring-for-web.jpg

sources
    http://www.guitarelectronics.com/ca...wiring_diagrams.humbucker_wiring_color_codes/
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring...ge-h,2-volume,2-tone,3-way-toggle,triple-shot

I just need to watch how I screw them into the rings so that I stay within what I, and most people, would consider normal North v South alignment..

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  4. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Me too

Raiyn likes this.
  5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I had a second thought about this... Carvin's screw v slug polarity orientation is opposite Gibbo / SD "normal" so I'm wondering if there's a reason for it. Perhaps the "hot coil" positioning is where it would be on a Gibbo / SD but they had to swap the slugs and screws for patent reasons?

Probably did it just to make crap difficult for guys like me.:facepalm:

I don't know. I just put them into the Triple Shots to see if they'd work and to make sure the middle hole was threaded. They fit fine of course, but based on my thought above, I just decided to go with the orientation they gave me. The two screws on the pickup ring side is the Low E side from all I've seen so the switches went on that "2 screw side".

This sets me up with an orientation which happened to be screws toward the neck and bridge but with the opposite polarity.

So instead of (from bridge) SN NS, I've got NS SN.

Is this going to make a damn bit of difference other than the switch positions possibly being different?

I haven't wired them up to the Triple Shots yet, but I still plan to follow my diagram from above.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Three hours later, I'm OK with this. Everything ought to work fine and if I'm right, it'll be slightly more intuitive as I think (@ 5AM) that pushing both switches towards a coil will turn on that coil. Regular wiring works the opposite way, moving the switches away from a coil turns it on.

Either way, I'll solder it up when I have some free time to myself.

I also added to my pile of work, I ordered a Tusq XL nut from Amazon.

Just a side note on this: They have a vender "Just TOP deals" that's selling them for stupid cheap ($4.50) but they take a month in shipping and their comments on their vender page is the same copy pasted Engrish thing.

I didn't go for it, partly because I didn't want to wait a month, but mostly because they seem to sell just the most random stuff. It's like a couple of guys selling stuff out of the back of a truck, something's hinky....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    eS.G., RVA and JohnnyGoo like this.
  7. kiko

kiko Active Member

Same here, tone report please.

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

So, the Tusq but arrived today, gotta love Prime. Get the Amazon Family deal, SWMBO and I share a Prime membership and it's great.

So, unless I suddenly decide I HAVE to change the bridge and tail piece or put on a fancy pickguard, which crossed my mind back when I was looking at Explorers, I think I have everything I need now besides a house to myself, which I'll have in a couple weeks for a few nights.