The Maxon ROD-881 is an amazing pedal!!!

Discussion in 'Effects' started by straightblues, Mar 23, 2005.

1. straightblues

straightblues Member

I bought one of these because they were selling it to fund the Tsunami Relief Funds. I paid a whopping $285 for it, which is about the street price. Being so expensive, I would have never bought it otherwise. But my wife said to give $250 to Tsunami Relief so I suggested we give and extra $35 so I could get a pedal as well as helping a worthy cause. I only say this because without the charity, I would have never discovered this awesome pedal.

What is the ROD-881 - It is a two channel unit with Overdrive and Distortion. It has a 12AX7 tube in it. It also has a boost built it in addition to the overdrive and distortion. It also has a noise gate. It is an amazing pedal that can do everything from a clean boost all the way to over the top metal tones. It does them all extremely well. It turns my blues amp, 64' Fender Deluxe Reverb totally set up for blues, into a Marshall stack. It can do the modern scooped mid stuff or the older style JTM 45 sounds.

I don't use a lot of pedals, but I have owned many including a real vintage Tube Screamer, Keeley Java Boost, Keeley Blues Driver, Marshall Guv'nor, Danelectro Daddy-O, Boss DS-1 with Keeley mods, Anaglogman Fuzz Face, Foxrox Fuzz and Zinky True Grit. This Maxon gets almost all of the tones of each of these boxes and does them better (with the only exception being heavy fuzz). I am in the process of selling many of the pedals mentioned because I just don't need them anymore. This is an expensive unit, but it gets the tones to support the price. I am shocked that these pedals aren't more popular. I would highly recommend trying one. Check it out on the Maxon web site.

http://www.maxonfx.com/realtube/rod881/