The most famous SG player ever?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by donepearce, May 4, 2019.

1. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Probably

SG John, Dale and Gahr like this.
  2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Is he from star trek or something like that?

donepearce likes this.
  3. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Nah. How can the most famous SG player be Doctor Who if there have been about a hundred different Doctor Whos?

This guy - the lead guitarist for the biggest band that ever existed - would be the most famous SG player.

[​IMG]

darth_tar, brazilnut, Dale and 2 others like this.
  4. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

He often snaps the headstock off when he slings it down like that but then he just goes back to the '60s and picks up a fresh one so it's all good.

SG John likes this.
  5. Steve D

He's undoubtedly the most famous player (i mean, he's a Beatle!) but when I think Harrison I think Gretsch, not SG. But he also played strats in the studio and lots of other guitars. the SG was just one of many to him.

So if the question is who is most associated with the SG, I guess I'd say Angus Young. You never see him play anything else and his image had become pretty iconic in rock n roll lore because of his wacky schoolboy schtick and wild stage persona. The drop off in "average person knows who they are" between George Harrison and Angus Young is immense though.

I'm interested to see in this thread who I forgot about!

Dave, brazilnut, Dale and 2 others like this.
  6. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the topic is specifically: "The Most Famous SG Player Ever;" not guitarist most associated with an SG.

George Harrison is the most famous SG player ever. More people know him than Angus, Pete Townshend, Santana, Robby Krieger, Clapton, Sister Rosetta Thorpe.... Those artists are far more associated with an SG than George, but, let's be real, George Harrison is more famous. Thus Most Famous SG Player Ever...George Harrison.

In all honesty, I do associate George with a 12 string Rickenbacker and some Gretsches, heck, even a Rosewood Telecaster; but he still would be the most famous SG player ever. Name someone more famous that played one?

brazilnut and DanB like this.
  7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Tony Iommi.

Bullfrog, gball, Dale and 4 others like this.
  8. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

That's a tough one to say, while there's quite a few "famous" players, for my choice, I would have to go with Angus Young. He picked up his first SG nine years after the SG's original debut and has been rocking one ever since as his main rig, 50+ years and still going. He's not known for an AC/DC performance with out his beloved SG.

Tony Iommi also started using the SG as his main rig in 1970. But unlike Angus, it wasn't always his main axe.

Dale, DanB and Ray like this.
  9. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

So you guys feel Angus Young and Tony Iommi are more famous than George Harrison. Interesting.

DanB likes this.
  10. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

As an SG player, yes.

Sp8ctre, Dale, Thumpalumpacus and 2 others like this.
  11. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Turns out - like so many famous names associated with the SG, he wasn't an SG guy in the end. More of a Yamaha player:
    [​IMG]

Perhaps, like George Harrison and Eric Clapton, he ended up giving his SG away... :)

Satellitedog likes this.
  12. Steve D

If you hadn’t dug up a rare picture of Harrison playing an SG one of the two times in public that he did, nobody would even know he played one. He played strats in the studio and there are pics of him playing then so does that mean when you think strat you think Harrison?

13. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

So because of lack of instruction (and punctuation) the thread entitled THE MOST FAMOUS SG PLAYER can be interpreted three different ways (one we haven't even discussed yet):

1. Who is the most famous person to play an SG? -- George Harrison
    2. Who is the person most famous for playing an SG? -- Angus
    3. Who is the player who played the most famous SG? -- Clapton played the most famous SG, The Fool

John Vasco and Worblehat like this.
  14. donepearce

I deliberately left it ambiguous.

SG John and Didds like this.
  15. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

No, I don't think of George Harrison when I think of Stratocasters. But Harrison did play one so that would make him the most famous person to play a Start. You really think Yngwie Malmsteen is more famous than George Harrison?

Look, the title of the thread wants us to say who was the most famous player to play an SG. Nobody here has come up with anybody more famous than George Harrison. Now if you can find a picture of Muhammad Ali or Winston Churchill or Napolean playing an SG, then I will say, yup, they are the most famous person to play an SG. But as it stands now, George Harrison is the one.

16. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

And because of that, WWIII is about to break out!

17. donepearce

That's actually quite funny. Obviously a boring Saturday all over the place.

But I bet that as of today, Doctor Who is more famous than any rock or pop guitarist. Guitar bands are a bit of a niche interest these days.

18. Steve D

Okay you win

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  19. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Elvis Presley «played» a double neck SG. Wouldn’t that make him the most famous SG player ever?

But among the players whose main axe has mostly been an SG, I think Angus wins.

SGfan84 and Didds like this.
  20. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I can't agree. And my reason is stated above -- there have been about thirty thousand different Doctor Whos. How can you say Doctor Who is the most famous person to play an SG when we have no idea exactly who (Who) you are speaking of?

The only Doctor Who I know is this guy -- the guy who played the bad guy in a great Sinbad movie:

[​IMG]

And he ain't as famous as George Harrison.

darth_tar likes this.