The most famous SG player ever?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by donepearce, May 4, 2019.

1. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Topic simply said "SG," not double-neck.

See what I am talking about? The lack of specificity in this thread is really causing a great disturbance in the force. A galactic war is sure to come.

(And by the way, you use the word "played" in a sarcastic manner when you speak of Elvis playing a guitar. Was Elvis a Hendrix on guitar? No. But by all accounts, Elvis was a pretty darn good rhythm player. One need only to watch the '68 Comeback special to see Elvis was a very capable rhythm guitar player. And just look at the photo below...the guy was able to play essentially two guitars at once! Respect.)

[​IMG]

DanB likes this.
  2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    I'm talking about Doctor Who - a character. It doesn't matter who is currently playing him (I discount the nonsensical recent female presentation)

3. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Derek Trucks

DanB and Col Mustard like this.
  4. donepearce

? Almost nobody has heard of Derek Trucks.

5. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Then they are maybe too old and not trying to stay caught up?

If you dont have Allman bros Hitting the Note album 2003 well then you have missed some damn fine guitar work.

Warren Hayes and Derek Trucks probably one of the best guitar tandems ever.

Famous in my mind as best SG player thats enough for me.

6. donepearce

you seem to be neglecting the sad fact that 99.9% of the world couldn't give a toss about guitars or their players.

7. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I guess Eric Clapton is a fairly famous (former) SG player as well.

DanB likes this.
  8. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Mary Ford, and her husband at the time.

lesandmary.jpg

9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

There's an age thing going on... because over a certain age, it's a Beatle, but
    younger members weren't as affected. Probably most of Les Paul's fans are dead
    by now, and beatle maniacs are dying off at an alarming rate.

This thread is an exercise in subjectivity... so there's no point in arguing really.
    I'll list a bunch of artists, some of whom became very famous...

George Harrison
    Angus Young
    Tony Iommi
    Billy Gibbons
    Pete Townshend
    Jerry Garcia
    Robby Krieger
    Duane Allmän
    Frank Zappa
    Barry Melton
    John Cippolina
    Eric Clapton
    Mick Taylor
    Buck Dharma
    Glen Buxton
    Frank Marino
    Steve Stills
    Lita Ford
    Glenn Tipton
    Brian James
    Dave Gregory
    Madonna
    Todd Rundgren
    Dweezil Zappa
    Jeff Tweedy
    Elliot Easton
    Kirk Douglas
    Gordie Johnson
    James Hetfield
    Derek Trucks
    Samantha Fish

The question remains: famous to whom? We don't have to argue.
    Personally I don't care much. Some of you guys can play "name the group"
    with these guitar heroes. They're all good... they all play SGs or played SGs
    among other instruments, like most of us.

If I had to pick one off this list, I'd pick two. Iommi and Angus Young.
    Those two guys have done more for sales of Gibson's SG AND Epiphone's
    than anyone, touring the world for decades, showing everyone how it's done
    and with what guitar.

That's really it, you know. Touring the world for decades, playing an SG all that
    time and space. Making all that great music, making it loud. Metal is not my
    thing, so I'm only marginally aware of some of these guys, but I know they're all
    good. I just don't know how famous they are. Or to whom.

I have my favorites, but so what, eh? Right now it's Derek Trucks and Samantha
    Fish. The SG trucks on into the 21st century.

11. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

It's funny how there's this well known story about how Les Paul discovered his name was being put on this new shaped guitar that nobody told him about and which he despised and he wanted nothing to do with it and he forced them to take his name off it. Yet there are all these pictures of him holding different ones from those earliest days of '60 or '61 and even '62 (he got a white Standard while Mary Ford got a white SG Custom with three pups). Something isn't right. He well knew what they were right at the beginning and he agreed to participate in promoting them if nothing else. So I tend to think he pulled the plug on his name for some other reason (some have suggested a divorce situation but I can't figure out how that works).

DanB likes this.
  12. Col Mustard

oh yeah... I forgot one. This guy might be more famous than anyone mentioned yet.
    Mick 3.jpg Mick 1969.jpg mick-plays-with-guitar-on-stage-jurgen-lorenzen.jpg Mick.jpg

You might not think of Mick as a guitar icon (I don't)
    but you can see that he knows a thing or two about PERFORMANCE...
    Proving that technical proficiency is sometimes a small (but essential)
    part of the package.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Ray, SG standard, DanB and 1 other person like this.
  13. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

While I agree with you that players people really look up to and respect change from generation to generation I don't think that applies as much to the Beatles so far. They are something different from most every rock / pop group. There really is no equivalent thing to Beatlemania and the subsequent British invasion it set off. My daughter is in middle school and her peers all know the Beatles and at least some of their songs, even if they don't listen to them on their own. The Beatles broke up 50 years ago so that would have been the equivalent of middle school me in 1980 knowing a band from the 1920-1930, knowing some of their music, and still hearing them on the radio. That just didn't happen.

Back when Clapton was still being hailed as "god" George Harrison was fed up with McCartney and Lennon ignoring him in the studio and he invited Clapton to help him record "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". In interviews Clapton says he was awestruck and didn't want to do it because it was THE BEATLES he'd be sitting in with and he was nervous, didn't feel like he belonged among them. Nobody sat in with the Beatles! Such was their status, they were more than just another band. The Beatles were like royalty in a weird way that nobody else has ever attained. John Lennon himself criticized how out of control this sort of deification of then was by comparing the Beatles to Jesus, a quote that was taken all out of context as if he were bragging when he was really pointing out how absurd it all was.

All that said, I suspect their time is approaching its end. Guitar driven music has pretty much died off for this upcoming generation. It just doesn't appeal to them because it's not what they hear in their current pop songs. I doubt they'll ever become as attached to it as those of us who grew up in the guitar-is-king era of the 60s, 70s, and 80s. And that means the Beatles will become to them like Benny Goodman or Glenn Miller is to us, names from the distant past that you know of and can hum a few of their biggest hits maybe but don't listen to really.

SatansGwitar likes this.
  14. DanB

DanB Active Member

Thanks Plankton for this post. I was going to ask if the great Les Paul (the guitarist) ever played an SG. If you know anything about Gibson history, the SG was originally designed to be the new style for the Les Paul (guitar) and was going to carry that name. Apparently Les Paul (the guitarist) did not like the new style so Gibson named this guitar the SG and continued making the Les Paul guitar in the original style. Glad to see that Les Paul the man actually came around to playing an SG!

15. DanB

DanB Active Member

Thanks for the comprehensive SG player list! As a leftie, I am of course partial to Iommi and Easton but all of the players listed up there made the SG great.

16. DanB

DanB Active Member

Thanks for the info Steve. I posted elsewhere in the thread that I was going to ask whether Les Paul ever played an SG, having heard that he did not like the SG design and pulled the plug on it becoming the new style for Les Paul (the guitar). You make a good point that the fact Les Paul (the guitarist) actually played sg guitars certainly calls into question this narrative and suggests another reason for him not wanting the design to go on his trademark guitar.

17. DanB

DanB Active Member

18. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

In all Serious,

Can anyone name a guitarist that has represented the SG as pure as Angus. The guy had two back up guitars in his entire history that were not SG’s.
    And no doubt from a financial stand point.

He literally played for millions (upon millions) of people live on his last tour displaying nothing but a complete plethora of thoroughbred SG’s.

Hendrix, sure...
    Townsend, sure...
    Clapton, sure...
    Other, sure...

How many of them were THAT loyal to one axe, THE AXE, for an absolute career, never wavering, never fluffing, never “in a different mood”...?

Love or hate ACDC, they are true to their instruments. They are iconic in the sound you hear as the end user. When you hear Mal, you hear Gretsch. When you hear ACDC, you hear an SG. Beg my pardon, you hear, “THE SG”.

I can’t think of a guitar player that loyal to the SG since it was created, seriously. How many platinum albums...? How many #1 hits, how many millions of people in the last 10 years (that’s only 2 route by the way)...

Is this even a question.

19. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Yep, basically he wanted to divest his name of as much equity as possible so she would get as little from him as possible in the divorce. Having a profitable deal with Gibson during the divorce would mean Mary could get 50% of the profits from it. Also, notice that the Les Paul returned in 1968, when their divorce was finalized.

Les just seems to make up stories, frankly. He also insisted he designed most of the Les Paul when in reality, McCarty only showed it to him once it was 90% complete.

20. Col Mustard

The way I understand what happened at Gibson in 1960 was like this:

Les Paul was a big deal in 1952... he had written numerous hits, he was
    recognized as a star, he and Mary Ford had their own TV show, and among
    Jazz/pop musicians he was one of the most famous.

Rock an roll didn't exist, except on black radio stations and at clubs where
    black people and black musicians got together. Segregation was policy almost
    everywhere.

The Les Paul guitar was invented mostly by Ted McCarty and his engineers
    but they used Les Paul's ideas and hired him to promote the instrument, and
    gave him some income from the sales of Les Pauls. They made a contract.

By 1959, Les Paul's music was passe, he hadn't had a hit since 1955, and
    rock an roll was taking over the young peoples' loyalty. The Les Paul guitar
    was intended to compete with Fender's Telecaster, but the Strat was kicking
    Gibson's arse. Sales of Les Paul Guitars had been dwindling, and dealers were
    not very interested in stocking them. Gibson needed something new.

They tried the Flying Vee, and the Explorer in 1958, but these didn't sell. Too much innovation for fifties guitarists to lay out cash for, and then appear with onstage.
    So they formed a huddle in 1960, and decided to redesign the Les Paul, with
    rock an roll in mind instead of Jazz. They needed to compete with the Strat, which
    had appeared on the Ed Sullivan TV show in the hands of Buddy Holly, and electrified
    everyone... including a ten year old me. I'd never seen anything like it.

So they came up with a design, (the SG) and put it into production.
    They still had a few years of Les Paul's contract to honor,
    so they put his name on the instrument and gave him his percentage.

Les Paul himself is not a reliable source. He changes his stories to suit his moods.
    He has said that the first time he saw an SG it was in a music store window, with his
    name on it. I don't think Gibson designers and engineers consulted him when they
    designed the SG. He didn't think so either, and took a dim view of the design.

He said, "There's not enough wood there... it's too wobbly." He was right.
    He said, "Take my name off the thing, it's not my design.'
    And they did, as soon as his contract was over. It was not renewed until 1968,
    when they re-issued the Les Paul in answer to customer demand.

Gibson's early SGs were flawed by a weak neck joint. Gibson fixed this by about 1964
    I believe. The new ones are much stronger, and much better guitars than the early
    ones, in spite of the prices. The SG was designed for rock an roll...

Pictures of Les Paul holding an SG were taken according to the stipulations of the contract. Mary Ford posed with her SG dutifully, although their marriage was
    on the rocks at that time. They were troopers, and it shows in the
    picture posted above. It's all show biz, and promotion of Gibson's new product.

Les Paul has famously said that he never played an SG. He also didn't care for
    rock an roll, and preferred his own style of Jazzy pop, played on the SG prototype:
    The Les Paul guitar. Which is of course, an excellent design, one of Gibson's best.

IMHO both SG and Lester types are totally valid, and each has its own cult following.
    And that's fine. It brings diversity to our world. And gives us great choices to make,
    lucky us.

These days, all of that seems pretty far away. I'm old enough to have heard Les Paul
    songs played on the radio that my parents let me have in my bedroom when I stayed
    home sick from school. I heard a lot of other stuff, because I loved to twirl the dial
    and pick up weird radio stations when I was home alone.

But I don't think Les Paul has much to do with my SG that I love so well.

SatansGwitar and Bullfrog like this.