The new 2017 SG Standard!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by bwotw, Sep 1, 2016.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Rat bastards, I went into my local Guitar Center and they didn't have a single 2017 SG to look at, not a one! :mad:

2. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

It does! :dude:

3. barnesto

barnesto Active Member

PG.png Thanks. Little close up.

4. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I like that a lot. Is that ply B-W-B-W-W? Is the bevel angle still the same as before?

5. barnesto

barnesto Active Member

Thanks, it's B-W-B-W like before, exact same size as the original also, just a wider bevel angle. I'll take a side by side pic tonight.

6. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Funny/sad story:

I had my 61 re-issue signed by all meme era of AC/DC, minus Phil Rudd. I had a chance to meet up with the boys at a later date in Toronto and wanted to get that final signature, but didn't want to fly with my guitar. So I yanked my pick guard off and took it with me. Long story short, I went to dinner with Brian Johnson and got absolutely bombed until the wee hours of the morning. Somewhere between dinner and waking up I lost my pick guard (still unsigned), and never found it. Someone out there probably thinks they have angus pick guard :)

Long story short, I bought so many pick guards to replace it, and none of them fit or looked right... how much did that one cost you if you don't mind me asking, and wouldnit for a 61 re-issue correctly? It looks amazing and would be a nice additional to that guitar

7. pancake81

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  8. barnesto

barnesto Active Member

Hit up Dan at info@mojoaxe.com
    He charged me $45 for the pickguard and $20 for a new backplate. Tell him I sent you ;-)

I definitely would definitely use his services again. He responds to emails quickly and the turnaround time on the parts was lightning fast.

9. pancake81

Part of the problem I found with the aftermarket guards, was the holes wouldn't line up perfectly. It would dry for great, but holes were slightly off. Drove me nuts

10. barnesto

barnesto Active Member

I sent him my pickguard and back plate to be sure for that very reason. He had them for a day and sent everything back to me. Perfect fit.

11. pancake81

I guess that's part of my issue. I don't have a perfect template to send him. I guess I could cut a template of my current one and then add the holes..?

12. barnesto

barnesto Active Member

IMG_0980.jpg I would think that if the screw holes lined up, everything else would. Email him, he's got templates you can print out. Before and after shot.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  13. barnesto

barnesto Active Member

IMG_0985.jpg Just gonna leave this here ;-)

14. DavidK

DavidK Member

barnesto likes this.
  15. pancake81

Man, that is a real beauty

barnesto likes this.
  16. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

excellent, and really nice mods

barnesto likes this.
  17. Cameron Huthert

Cameron Huthert Member

Same with mine too. Nothing but new Les Pauls. Meh. I know Les Pauls can be seen as Gibson's most famous guitar model, but I feel like with a lot of after market parts, for instance the batwing and '61 pickguards, that we as SG players have sort of been left in the dark, and this includes all other Gibson models as well. They only really sell official Gibson parts for Les Paul.

18. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

They did have one 2017 LP with a wild finish on it, I wasn't the least bit interested I already have an LP and could never afford another even if I wanted one which I dont, one is enough. But the 2017 SG is the SG I always wanted but couldn't afford so I do have a Faded SG instead which is a nice guitar in its own right I just wanted all the cosmetics of a Standard and a small pickguard. I wish the 2017's came with kluson tuners though then it would be exactly what I want, I'll have to switch the grovers out when that time comes.

19. barnesto

barnesto Active Member

IMG_1081.JPG Whenever I was playing unplugged i was noticing a rattle from the headstock i couldn't figure out. Last night it dawned on me. These all needed 1/4 turn but THIS one was loose enough that the washer was rattling. Easy fix with a 10mm wrench. Anyone else experience this?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Kep likes this.
  20. vinnievidi

vinnievidi Member

Hi, yeah, I had that happen once on a new LP earlier in the year. Easy fix as you said, but totally drove me nuts trying to troubleshoot the sound since I wasn't expecting the source. Now I just keep a socket in my set up kit and just check all the nuts when I do string changes. I figure that it can't hurt.

barnesto likes this.