The new Gibson CEO is...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Lunacy the Faded, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

James Curleigh, a proven retail giant with lots of positive financial results amidst past marketing activism.

Most do not know about the political advertising campaigning. When he started at Levis he was "instrumental" in that cause. JC was called in to start at Levis by his peer Charles 'chip' Burgh who needed to balance out the cause and effect of new policies. Chip has high-up connections with Gillettes corporation, who also got on board with it.

Gibson is another big 'mens influence' brand possibly going to be subjected to "aggressive social responsibility policies" under James Curleigh and camp. I dont want the guy to prove to be a wolf in sheeps clothing, ill admit he is very charismatic and seems to mean well.

The problem I see with those policies are that music and political influence is at the artists discretion, not from the brand of instruments they play and should stay that way.

Taking a stand with political/social views by choosing what jeans to wear or grooming products to use has never been as big of an influence on the general public as music, so a trojan horse may have been brought into the Gibson corporation.

Take a historic instrument brand to do the same type of television commercials then everyone who has used the instruments of said brand becomes associated with that media. That can take away from lyrical individuality in music played on Gibson instruments. Some bands are political and some arent, but the general idea is to express your own self with music. Using an aggressive social responsibilty policy on Gibson guitars is not good for self expressing bands.

The bad thing about making those kind of niche ad campaigns is that it would start to push the identity and heritage of Gibson away. The reputation was built from exposure with colossal live music acts and being on as many recordings as possible. Gibson became legendary from their focus on musical artists having the right tools for the trade.

Just "the more you know", I hope for the best.
    Thank you

https://www.retaildive.com/news/is-activist-advertising-the-new-frontier/516914/

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Ray likes this.
  2. JCarno

JCarno Active Member

Published
    Feb. 28, 2018
    But thanks anyway. :cheers:

Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  3. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, man, interesting piece.

And "aggressive social responsibility policies" ...

Who knows, hehe, maybe they're going for Norlin 2.0. 5-piece necks, 7-piece bodies, you name it - they'll glue it:D

4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Meh, I play guitar, not social issues or ad campaigns.

5. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

I havent seen that trend, the luthiers had more of a say in how the production went this year-- consistent

As of right now Gibson is still just about their instruments

Thumpalumpacus and Ray like this.
  6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Oh, I know. I've got a big <shrug> for most of those sorts of campaigns. I buy material goods, not ideologies, myself. "No, his mind is not for rent ..."

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

For perspective, Henry Juszkiewicz was extremely active in partisan politics, never saw it reflected in the guitars.
    [​IMG]

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  8. TheX

TheX New Member

Henry saved Gibson from the trash heap, we should be thanking him.

jtees4 likes this.
  9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Amen, but "...How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is To have a thankless child!”