The new "Terms and Rules"

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by Biddlin, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Old timers might want to read and this won't take a minute, the new "Terms and Rules."
    It's not much.

gasket likes this.
  2. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

Already feeling like a Mod :rofl:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    JCarno likes this.
  3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

I've always wondered, how far does the freedom of speech extend? Are US citizens free to speak on my private property? May they speak at will under any circumstances, in any venue, on any forum?

4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

As I understand it - and I stress I'm not an American - 'freedom of speech' simply means you can't be thrown in jail for expressing your views. It doesn't give you any assistance in getting the chance to express your views. So you can create your own forum and express yourself there, but you can't require anyone else to allow you to express your views on their forum.

I could be wrong.... I'm just expressing my views here... :)

5. JCarno

JCarno Active Member

6. JCarno

JCarno Active Member

Please, God, NO!!

PeteR likes this.
  7. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

We can say anything we want and we can do that anywhere...even on the moon.

This is Neil Armstrong and he is singing Two Live Crew's "Me So Horny."
    [​IMG]

cheshiergrin and JCarno like this.
  8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

That would be an unusual definition of "freedom". That would be freedom of speech, only as allowed by another person(s). Imagine a freedom of speech, that you, and only you define. Many believe that is the definition used to pass the first amendment.

9. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I feel like you may want to read them as well, hypocrite.

PeteR likes this.
  10. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Hey man, I sense a little hostility... Can I ask what the deal is?

No need to be holding grudges against people online... No need to step on each others toes.

Worblehat and gasket like this.
  11. gasket

gasket Active Member

Agree completely!
    I've only just started posting here and in order to keep away from this stuff have put PeterR & Logan on ignore. They may be great people but not coming over as such.

Layne Matz likes this.
  12. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

You should 'friend' Biddlin......:rofl:

he will need a few more 'followers' if he volunteers for the Moderator-Job here

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    JCarno likes this.
  13. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Actually we can seek 'assistance' in expressing our view if our right to free speech is being restricted or infringed upon. I know that doesn't necessarily apply to things like a guitar forum like this. But in the case of the US public forum those 'rights' are protected & assistance from the Court is given when meeting the standards encased in law.

IE,. Say a group representing themselves as "Sunny Day Lovers" want to hold an event at the public park & speak about themselves, their beliefs & their love for the 'Sun' but their permits for the event get turned down because the local officials in charge of such permitting are found to be 'anti-Sunny Day Lovers' & or belong to the "Rainy Day Lovers' club. And as such, they do not believe, endorse or share the feelings, thoughts & opinions of the Sunny Day Lovers and want to restrict those ideas from being expressed in the public forum. That would be discrimination & the violation of an American Citizens Constitutional right to free speech and as such that municipality & those officials could be brought to a court of law to have the matter litigated.

If in fact the litigation finds the Sunny Day Lovers right to free speech was in fact infringed upon or violated by non-believing 'Rainy Day' officials in charge, that municipality & or those officials can be held liable & be made to comply with the courts order to allow the Sunny Day Lovers to hold their event and be able to express themselves with thought & opinion through Free Speech.

The US Constitution & subsequent Bill of Rights & its Amendments point to be gleamed on this topic of Free Speech really is to enforce the idea that everyone is entitled to their own individual thoughts, feelings & beliefs & the ability to express such is protected. No person or entity of the people can suppress or restrict that right.
    What sets the US apart is that this protection goes for all speech no matter how twisted, sick or offensive one may find it to be to them.

For some, that part is hard for them to understand or accept but, the reasoning is that one mans right to experience & express his thought, opinion & belief supersedes another mans desire not to be offended, insulted or experience bad / uncomfortable feelings because of another mans speech.
    And that is because no person or government is capable of deem or decide what is good, bad, right or wrong when it comes to a persons expression of thought & belief. Thus ALL speech has to be allowed & tolerated whether we agree, like it or NOT!

This is the ideology that sets the United States apart from all other countries. Even some of America's closest ideological allies have most recently been restricting Free Speech and their citizens are forbidden from speaking out against things they don't agree with. Now some previously relatively 'free' societies are finding themselves being subjected to fines & jail time for speaking their opinion & view of what they see & feel about the world around them. Most of those types of infringements are based on not offending, upsetting or persecuting an ideology, group or religion through voicing objection.

Without a Constitutional 'Right' to Free Speech a person can find themselves being restricted & punished for speaking about their personal truths, feelings, opinion & beliefs.

As for whether Free Speech applies here or not, we essentially wave any of those 'Rights' by accepting the terms & rules in our user agreement. And that pretty much makes it legal to moderate, edit & control what is visible on this forum.

JCarno, rotorhead and syscokid like this.
  14. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

BINGO!!! That's exactly what it boils down to.

Rant: I really do not like reading about one member personally attacking or shaming another member. It cheapens the integrity of the forum. If one cannot find the time to respectfully debate with another member's point of view or stated facts, then please move on quietly.

JCarno, rotorhead and Gahr like this.
  15. Relic61

Amen brother. I heard this following little gem some time ago & still find it quite useful. "When someone has nothing meaningful to say & resorts to name calling the debate is over & the argument is won!"

I mean hey, only a$$holes call other stupid fvking idiots names right??

Paige fuck you all.gif

Layne Matz, rotorhead and syscokid like this.
  16. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

In reference to the last paragraph, I would contend that one doesn't wave any of their rights at all when joining a forum. What happens is that you agree to abide by the forums guidelines while posting.

What gives the forum the standing to enforce their rules is not the (false) fact that one waves their rights under the First Amendment, but rather that the protections under the 1A do not apply to a privately owned forum in the first place.

The 1A protects an individual's rights from government restrictions (essentially to a degree), not against a privately owned forum.

Your rights are still very much intact from governmental restrictions when you voluntarily agree to a forums privately owned set of restrictions :)

JCarno and PeteR like this.
  17. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Being here is like being a guest in somebody else's house. Constitutional rights don't come into it. Their house, their rules. Don't like it? Leave.

18. Relic61

And that would be acknowledging that you have no guaranteed 'right' to have your expressed thoughts stand unrestricted or unedited if you choose to participate here so,.. you are implying an agreement to those terms when you verbally use the forum.

The semantics involved in using the term 'waiving ones right' comes in the form of the act of one actually participating. By participating under those terms & conditions you are waving / refrain from claiming or insisting your right to free speech. In this case to waive is to give up & or forgo any expectation to speak freely & we do just that when we verbally participate here as it implies agreement to the terms & conditions of use.

I don't believe I misspoke when viewing it this way that I intended.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  19. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

You people would argue about the colour of sh!t...

20. Relic61

Enthusiastically discuss bruddah. And we all know that color varies from day to day depending on a whole bunch of factors.
    Just remember, you are what you eat & that goes for what ya feed the brain as well.

And as always, I wouldn't $#it you, 'cause you're my favorite turd!

But sometimes $#it happens..
    [​IMG]