The Newspaper

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Tobacco Worm, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Recently an older gentleman like myself in his later 60's was visiting his daughter and family at their home. They had spent a very pleasant day together, and in the evening they were gathered in the living room for some semi-quiet evening time chatting a bit. The TV was on but was playing at a low volume and not really being watched as much as simply background noise. Two grandchildren were at a table playing games on their phones. About that time the older man asked his daughter for a newspaper. She looked up and said in a mild voice "Pop, we haven't had a newspaper here in almost five years. If you need to know what's going on in the news you just find it with the i-pad. No one uses a newspaper anymore. Here." as she handed him her i-pad. He smiled as only a father will do and said "Darlin' I'd really like to have a newspaper. That's what I'm after. You don't have one really?" She smiled as she was still trying to hand the i-pad to her father saying "Dad, really. This will do what ever you need it to do for you. Here." Then she had successfully managed to hand her father her i-pod. The daughter returned to absently watching the TV and was content that her father would be alright with the i-pad as he has a computer at home and they chat by e-mail quite a bit. Then she heard a loud smack and the sound of broken glass. She looked up suddenly to see that her father had smashed the i-pad against the table top in front of him. As she looked on in total disbelief at her father, who flatly said "You're right darlin'. It'll do what I need it to do. That roach there never knew what him 'em."

Six String, Biddlin, Alex_SG and 2 others like this.
  2. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

LOL....we used to like reading the Detroit Free Press and the Traverse City Record-Eagle........the 'Free Press was heavier all the way around and was good for rolling up and smacking anything. Now we just use the Musician's Friend or AMS catalogs.

3. DoodoaXD

DoodoaXD Well-Known Member

Sometimes I feel like I'm too young to be on this forum.

My grandfather who lives with us in the same house ever since my grandma died MUST have his daily newspaper. MUST. I am pretty much the only one out of my 3 other siblings who helps him with things like getting him water, food, prescription, fixing the TV, newspaper etc. So whenever he doesn't get the newspaper for whatever reason on a day, he usualy then starts shouting my name and demanding me to see him only telling him it's not my fault, the driver still didn't get the newspaper. I get spared from the cane, until he sometimes forgets that he confronted me and calls for me again.

Despite this I love old people. :)

Alex_SG and AngusMadeMeDoIt like this.
  4. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I used to work for the Newspaper in Key West selling advertising. I also worked for a short time selling yellow pages advertising.....I left those postions which for a time where QUITE lucrative to go back to Textile Printing. The reason was basically, google and craigslist.
    Newspaper budgets are driven by classified ads, those pay the bills the color ads and big full page Car Sales ads etc. are the "gravy--the profit" every year the classified ad section of the paper was getting smaller and smaller......here is why.
    A craigslist ad to sell your --car--boat--SG--whatever is FREE. it includes color pics and goes "live" immediately. I have posted items at 8 on Sunday morning and had cash in hand Sunday evening. It would have taken till Wed. at the earliest to get an ad in the paper...and it would have cost money. If I am just trying to "get rid" of a cheap sofa or something I do not want to PAY to do so.
    Has anyone else noticed how thin Yellow Page Phone books are getting? My Son is 23 and has NEVER looked up a phone number in a phone book.......he just "googles" it. And most folks do just that me included.
    So ......it is a sad event to bear witness too, but those items will cease existence --I am guessing within the next 20 years tops.........both are downsizing cutting publications cutting staff buying up and consolidating with other papers......like the console stereo highfi record player, 8 track tapes and drive in movie theaters.....these things too will become part of the "neat stuff" people really used?????? Category.

AngusMadeMeDoIt likes this.
  5. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

I like the real newspaper to

Blackie likes this.
  6. AngusMadeMeDoIt

AngusMadeMeDoIt Well-Known Member

I still read the paper every morning with my coffee.

Blackie likes this.
  7. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the real newspapers have gotten so bland, similar, and small in scope that they are somewhat irrelevant.

I loved the days when there were several newspapers in one city, and there was real investigative reporting, scoops, all of that.

When I was a kid New Orleans had 2 major papers and one came out in the AM and the other later in the day, we called them "da mornin' papuh" and "da evenin' papuh".

Then they merged....soon no evening paper.

Azz169 likes this.
  8. johnny196775

johnny196775 Member

just the idea of an electronic book pisses me off.

9. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

There still uses for old technology! :thumb:

(Don't count out the old farts either....) :laugh2:

10. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

We've never really been a newspaper family, but I do like reading the latest news on the two major French newspapers and on both American and British media apps on my phone/tablet while drinking my coffee.

That said I cant fully get into the whole computer transition thing: while I have all my university lessons on tablet and computer and work a lot on both of them, I still need to print them to study for my exams.

11. Blackie

Blackie Active Member

.. I still read the newspaper when I eat at night .. mainly for the local news type stuff .. and maybe some editorials ..

.. the morning coffee goes with the computer log on .. and world and national whatever .. and the forum and email checking etc. ..

.. a roach ? .. I will smack a roach with my own hand F it .. wash it of course after ..

.. used to have a decent cat that took care of any such home invaders ,,

.. cat now .. meh .. would trade it in if that was an option ..

12. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

But also I used to enjoy:

"...Paul Harvey....Good Day!..." on the radidio :)

eS.G. likes this.
  13. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Newspapers...

Informative......

Work good on the bottom of the bird cage.....

And Paul Harvey..... "... the rest of the story"........