The Norlin Era SG Custom and SG Standard.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SG Champagne, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the confirmations, guys.

2. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Yes & Yes. Not only were necks 3 piece necks, but most of them through the Norlin years were 3 piece Maple necks. The 3 piece was a well thought out & 'sound' (lol) design & assembled in alternating grain/cut pattern for rigidity & strength.

Here's a 76 Gibson Deluxe that shows the 3 piece Maple neck in a light finish.. (with volute)
    76 Gibson Deluxe 3 piece maple neck (2).PNG

If nothing else, the Norlin era took some chances & wasn't afraid to innovate or attempt to improve upon established design. Some stuff work and some stuff.. ah not so much..

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  3. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

That's another thing I just learned -- maple necks. I knew they had them for LPs, and have long used them on certain archtops. Didn't know they put 'em on SGs as well, thanks for that, @Relic61.

4. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Not on SGs, SGs were almost always 3-pc Mahogany under Norlin:

[​IMG]

The only exception was the SG I/II/III models: https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/SG_I_/_II_/_III

ruster1 likes this.
  5. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

6. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Just thought i would contribute with the work i had done to my 76.. frets off.. board needed to be sanded and luthier thought the frets from 16-22 were original.. they came out much differently and the binding was a bit scarred as if someone had throuble to remove those.. (perhaps was not heating them properly).. second pic is new frets on.. he did a great job..

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  7. bgh

bgh Member

You are preaching to the choir here. Mine is a few years older than yours, and except for mine having a multitude of battle scars, looks much like your SG.

I will say though, the finish on my SG has given me some issues as it has aged over the years (as opposed to the LP). It has lost its luster and shine. Years ago I tried to put some oomph back in to the shine, and hurt it even more. The worst spot is where my left arm rests on the guitar - much duller finish that the similar spot on my LP (remember, mine is left-handed).

Quality/build wise: No real issues with it. Mine had no binding on it. On the neck and fretboard, you can see where I spend most of my time. No tuning issues (I do put lubricant on the nut to help with the tuning), no warping. One of the best sounding guitars I have ever played.

8. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

We can blame Chicago Music Exchange for this.. they seem to buy up all the 70's models and raise the market price.. smart move on someones part since the late 60's models got out of control.. I did not realize that CME purchased REVERB?.. interesting..

9. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

What methods did you use to restore some shine? I know that since black light testing most collectors frown upon touchups to lacquer.. seems the "green glow" under black light needs to be there.. is a good way to spot repairs on older models however.. mine was already refinished.. after a headstock break.. but its mine.. not going to sell it.. plays fantastic.. I am getting along with the narrow nut and rounded C neck.. feels very solid compared to my 86 SG-62 with slim taper neck.. love them both.. The SHAW pups in 86 were really fantastic I must say.. The T-TOPS replicas I put in the 76 are fantastic as well.. really hits the late 60's early 70's era..

10. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Lots of individual sellers on Reverb and Ebay, too. Trying to score a buck on this market bubble. And they are actually getting some bites. I saw some poor schmuck drop $2,500 on a '71 Deluxe. And I don't mean to diss the Deluxe, I'm sure they are fine instruments, but they will never actually be worth that much money.

Wow, last year one sold on Reverb for $4,000!

(On Page 4)
    https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/12035-gibson-sg-deluxe-1971-cherry

11. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Wow.. not even excellent condition.. must have belonged to John Lennon or something.. the Deluxe not only looks bad imho but sounds equally bad with those pickup placements.. to each his own.. I would rather Gibson build me a custom shop 1968 no volute style replica.. standard specs but Custom frills.. love the custom look on both SG and LP..