The ones that got away

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by porfido, Jan 23, 2015.

1. porfido

porfido New Member

i dont know about you but i have a sad sad story about a gibson sg standard with trapezoidal and a mini bigsby...
    I bought it, it was just perfect but somehow i sold it..

I have now other ones (sg II 71, sg special 70, sg deluxe 72) but that one had a nice neck and was really nice..
    sic

2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

I have MANY sad stories...but luckily, I have some keepers now.

3. Zagnut

Zagnut Active Member

This SG was mine and I sold it to my buddy here in 1983 for $300.00. I paid $250.00 for it in a San Diego pawn shop at the beginning of the year. I was running low on party money overseas while in the Navy. :oops: I asked about it years later and he'd given it to his brother who traded it for a wheel barrow, no known whereabouts now. Life goes on.

SG..jpg

4. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

One pickup out of it is probably worth more than what you paid for it.

Zagnut likes this.
  5. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Well-Known Member

My first SG. It was an early 70's model. Most likely a 71 or 72. Got it in 1978. It got away from me sometime in 79 after I moved back in with my parents, young broke & stupid. Only have this one old pic of it to remind me of my young foolishness. Went thru a bunch of different guitars over the years, but nothing filled the empty space in my GAS pains till I got my 61 reissue in 05. 25 years of SG abstinence brothers & sisters, it was grueling ... But I endured and I'm a stronger person for it now.
    [​IMG]

JohnnyGoo, Kris Ford and Zagnut like this.
  6. Kris Ford

That's a '71 SG Deluxe...must've been rough letting that one go..

Dave Johnson and JohnnyGoo like this.
  7. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I had always wondered just what it was. At the time it was just a couple hundred dollar used guitar. In hindsight yeah, had a nice old Telecaster a couple years before that in high school that would be a keeper now too, pretty birdseye maple neck and all. But then, it was just another used guitar.

8. Kris Ford

After looking at the pic at home on my big monitor, it appears as if the pickups have the Gibson stamp on them..do you remember if the pickups were marked Gibson or not? If so, it's a '72, a very early '72 based on body shape.

9. Kris Ford

Awesome. Was that in your shop? What was the rate/ship you were on?

10. Zagnut

Zagnut Active Member

Hi Kris,
    That was Number 2 EOS, (Enclosed Operating Station) for Number 3 engine room on LST 1195, USS Barbour County. I was an EN2 by then, eventually a selectee to ENC by 1989, but they stuffed me with recruiter duty after 7 years continuous sea duty so I bailed. I figured by then I'd met the "Needs of the Navy" several time over. No regrets. I'm still in contact with my bud in the photo after 30 years and we're both still rockin'. ;)

Kris Ford likes this.
  11. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

I have had a few get away, but nothing I didn't feel I couldn't live without... except my first git. US made Harmony, but just because it was my first. There was a headless Steinburger that was ok but nothing outstanding. It didn't talk to me when I played her. Then I made a trade with a Yamaha 6 sting for an early harmonizer and it was a good guitar....... but at the time I needed the harmonizer more.

[​IMG]

All in all I think I have been pretty lucky......

12. Kris Ford

Right on! I used to jam (and stow my guitar and amp) in a fan room in the shipfitter's shop until I "upgraded" to a storage locker that was above the pipe shop..(I was a HT, which may have been DCman when you were in, on CVN-73 USS George Washington) I even was in the ship's band for a minute, they played classic rock covers...