The SG Bevel Reference Project

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by smitty_p, Jul 6, 2012.

1. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

All,

I have an idea that I hope gets a lot of input. I've looked for some type of pictorial reference for SG horn bevel designs of different years. I can find descriptions but few illustrations, which are often rather generic. So, I thought it may be useful to create a single location where we can post pics of our SGs and identify the year and model of SG.

Hopeully, this will become somewhat of a one-stop-shop pictorial reference for those curious about what different eras/models actually looked like.

Please, be as complete as possible with identifying the model of guitar. For example, if it's an Angus Young signature model, be sure to say so!

Of course, if you have more than one SG, post them all.

Perhaps, it would be useful to make a sticky out of this thread, similar to the "Mauled SG Pictorial Thread." I'll leave that to the moderator's decision.

Anyway, with no further adieu, I'll get things rolling...

1974 Gibson SG Special:

[​IMG]

And another, better view of the horn bevels:

[​IMG]

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Great Norlin rounded barely-bevels - which is what Davison copied on my SG.
    That look....still nice guitars.

3. worn

worn New Member

1973 sg ii

Attached Files:

• sg 2.jpg
      sg 2.jpg
      File size:
      82.7 KB
      Views:
    Alex_SG likes this.
  4. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Great idea but ...

...although there has been some variation in the width and depth of the bevels on the body edge it is nowhere near as great as the variation in the cutaways. To be a comprehensive reference you need to take photos at oblique angles to clearly show not only the width of the bevelling but the amount of depth and "scooping", and the width of the points on the horns. I have raised this before, pouring scorn on the so-called "Historic" and "VOS" SGs which supposedly recreate the contours of the early '60s models.

THEY DON'T!!! (I'm the one who started the "Campaign Starts Here" thread to persuade Gibson that SG buyers deserve the same treatment as Les Paul obsessives.)

I would post pics of my own SGs (a '64 Std and '65 Custom) to illustrate my point (No pun intended :)) but they are not immediately to hand. I will at some future date and hope in the meantime that this thread will progress into a great reference source similar to the one on SG heel details. :fingersx:

Col Mustard, Kris Ford and Kevy Nova like this.
  5. smitty_p

I think you make an excellent point.

Take lots of pictures, people!

6. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

We had this discussion once at MyLesPaul... Here are a few shots for reference.

First is one of my '68 Standards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another one of my '68 Standards:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My '69 Junior:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll see what I have for photos of my '62 Les Paul/SG Special. I also have a ton of of other photos of vintage guitars saved. I'll see if some of their owners post them first.

Mellow likes this.
  7. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

SGJohn - Did I see Warren's sig on that SG?:thumb:

8. SG John

Yes, along with Dickie Betts, Alan Woody, and the rest of the ABB when they recorded the "Night With the Allman Brothers Band" at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston, in March of 1990. It was a valuable lesson of why not to have your favorite gigging guitar autographed, then play it for another 10 years. I've almost completely worn off Dickie Betts' and Butch Trucks's signatures. I'm open to trades on this one. Same era SG or maybe a nice ES335-ES345. I may just end up playing it again, then the sigs will be gone forever.

jrmullin likes this.
  9. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

It gets deeper...and ES-33(4)5...please keep teasing me!

10. SG John

Here are some shots of my '62 Les Paul/SG Special. Look along the top carve of the guitar, you'll notice it is very thin compared to a later SG. Also, look at the angle of the body going towards the heel. Imagine taking the body, and laying it on a large blt sander. That angle extends to the points. Due to the angle of the body, the narrow center, and the deeper cut of the bevels (matched by the body contour) you get a more pronounced point. Without the deep carve and angle, it makes the point look like a cold chisel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was my attempt at making something similar on my Burny. Hopefully Alex can add some shots of his guitars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kris Ford and happy_tom like this.
  11. smitty_p

These are all very interesting to look at. I'm really intrigued by the variety visible in SG John's collection. The differences in the bevels on the inside of the horns do show differences, though not extreme. It appears simply a matter of variation created by one guy spending more time at the belt sander with one guitar than another, even though I'm sure there were QA standards.

12. Dorian

Dorian Active Member

Here are three

First: 1967 EB3 bass
    [​IMG]

Second: 2003 SG faded special
    [​IMG]

Third: 2010 SG faded special
    [​IMG]

13. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Dorian, that is beyond cool - a scalloped neck SG! Did we discuss scalloped fingerboards a while ago on this board?
    I've tried the scalloped Strat neck and although I can see a lot of interesting options offered, I've never bothered to scallop any of my own guitars.

I do sort of like high frets, though, so you can get a tiny bit of that effect with a normal neck.

14. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

'67 Jr., no bevels on the back of the horns.

[​IMG]

15. Dorian

Dorian Active Member

dbb -- Thanks. I have never seen another scalloped SG fretboard, either. Doing it wasn't hard, but it took a rather long time, with a lot of measurements to be sure the scallops were even and uniform. It is my "go-to" guitar now, and the usual one I take out to jams and practices. Other guitarists are always amused by it, for better or worse. When they bend notes, they tend to overbend by quite a lot, and comment that it will take some "getting used to." Now that I am used to it, it is seems so much more natural than a flat fretboard.

Getting back to the bevels, though, here are some back and side photos to add to the collection.

First: 1967 EB3 bass
    [​IMG]

Second: 2003 SG faded special
    [​IMG]

Third: 2010 SG faded special (with scalloped fretboard)
    [​IMG]

16. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Dorian, I bet those other guys would need to get used to it! I would too.

17. hotpepper01

hotpepper01 Member

1962 STD

[​IMG]

18. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Dorian's shot of the underside of his EB3 clearly shows the angle that was shaped into the early SG bodies reducing the horns to points rather than the "cold chisels" that SGJohn so rightly called them. Why can't Gibson do that now??? My suspicion is they don't want warranty returns for loose/broken necks and so have adopted the chunkier/thicker body at the neck joint rather than going for the full-on vintage spec SG.

19. smitty_p

This is all great stuff, guys. I never realized how many variations of our beloved bevels there were. Keep it coming!

20. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Member

I'm glad someone else is focused on what I consider a crucial element of what makes the SG a brilliant piece of sculpture. It's sad to see the bevels almost gone on the Standards I saw today at GC.

Kris Ford likes this.