The SG Bevel Reference Project

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by smitty_p, Jul 6, 2012.

1. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

I would suggest he's the rude one for implying that I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. I know what I saw and I can tell the difference between the bevels. I also know what the bevels are like on 1960s SGs as I own two.

Alex_SG likes this.
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

ypnos likes this.
  3. Dickey

Dickey Member

I guess they don't breed them for politeness in Ireland.

No wonder they live in the dark ages over there.

I have owned about 70 SGs in my lifetime; mostly 60s & re-issues, And, I have sold SGs 'cause I didn't like the bevels. Guess that kinda qualifies me, too. But at least I ain't nasty about it.

You'ld think the guy was from Florida!

4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

WOW! Is that what passes for politeness in Florida? :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Alex_SG likes this.
  5. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

nahhh, i think ireland is great, and i guess you are rude too :dunno:

Alex_SG likes this.
  6. javamagic

In response to that comment, it is sufficient to say that I feel that you chose to totally misinterpret (or just failed to comprehend) my original comments re: SG bevels. How can anyone disagree with my comments about the two SGs, as you chose to do, unless they had seen the same two guitars? Consequently your own remarks about the bevels has no bearing on my own post and yet you continued to denigrate my own opinions. If that is your understanding of politeness then I think I'm better off in "the dark ages" away from all the self-important, ignorant morons who populate the modern world. :hmm:

Oh, and watch out for all those US citizens of Irish descent who may take umbrage at your sweeping generalisation.

Alex_SG and Biddlin like this.
  7. Dickey

Dickey Member

\

No; That's what passes for "take your attitude & stick it" from NYC transplants TO Florida.

8. Dickey

Dickey Member

Yea; I'm shakin' in my boots!

I didn't denigrate CRAP! I simply disagreed with you by saying the bevels on the VOS were closer to the original than the production Standards, and I posted a pic of some of my SGs to prove it. I have been a player for half a century; own several guitars; all vintage original or Custom Shops. I have played guitar & steel professionally, have played with a number of top artists who you would recognize if I posted their pics, (I have pics) I have prolly owned 500 guitars in my lifetime; at least 70 SGs, a few 335s, & the rest Teles & Strats; mostly vintage original or Custom Shop, and have sold several SGs 'cause I didn't like the bevels & knew I would only be happy with a VOS, have sold several Strats & Teles 'cause there was a small detail, like the upper horn or bevels on Strats, or the color on a Tele wasn't quite right,I have sold 335s because the cutaways were too pointed. I have refinished guitars, cut my own bevels into SGs (that was a mistake; destroyed a great '68 Special),rebuilt accoustics, do all my friend's luthier work FOR FREE, since they all want their guitar's set up like mine after they play mine, so I think I am qualified to make the statement like I did.

When you pull that superior, elitist attitude on a NYer, you get it back X10. After all...we ARE the attitude capitol of the world. BUT...we ARE the nicest people in the world when you don't pull crap on us.

9. javamagic

Wow. We must all bow down before you then.

Alex_SG likes this.
  10. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Back before CNC machines im sure you might get most anything in a bevel.

11. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Yes, but as gentleman from Georgia, I dassent say for what.
    ;>)/

ypnos likes this.
  12. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

VOS bevels are nothing like real 60s...at all.
    Period.
    The horn shape is incorrect. Where the top line of the horn ( on the top of the body) goes into a sharp, graceful, long tip on a 60s is more of a sharp, triangular point on the Custom Shop. This detail is what makes the VOS look nothing like the models they are supposed to be such "accurate" reproductions of...they just aren't...
    The pic I included illustrates my point...this detail is not replicated on the VOS or the Standard..if someone can't see the diference between this and a VOS, then I don't know what to say..:dunno:

Attached Files:

13. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Mutually exclusive.

14. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Wow. A new record!
    25 posts and he has already pissed off a lot of members... Kinda reminds me of Matt Rayner!
    Maybe MLP would be a better place for you, Dickey... :naughty:

SG John and SG standard like this.
  15. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

KUMITE!!!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Alex_SG

Don, you really are a bastard! :naughty:
    Kumite.... Now that's a word I haven't heard in a long time! Thanks for the memories! :cheers:

SG John likes this.
  17. Alex_SG

[​IMG]
    I agree with Kris 110%...
    The above pic is an original 1966 SG Standard. Note the length of the top horn, compared to the bottom horn.
    I have NEVER seen a VOS or Custom Shop SG with a top horn that looks like this.
    Maybe if they copied original '60s instruments exactly, instead of just schlocking a full pickguard and Vibrola on an off the rack SG, they may get a more accurate copy of a '60s SG. Just my 0.02c... :dunno:

ypnos, SG John and Kris Ford like this.
  18. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

2006 Classic an 1962 Horns

Old Yellers horns are more pointy

Attached Files:

Lunacy the Faded and Alex_SG like this.
  19. Alex_SG

Now THATS what I'm talking 'bout! :cheers:

20. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Here's a direct comparison between 2 '65's, a VOS, and a '70's peeking in..
    [​IMG]
    On the '60's, viewing it straight on, the body is contoured on the outside edge to where it forms a crescent moon like shape, with a long point going to the tip of the horn..
    (see arrows)
    [​IMG]
    The VOS does not replicate this at all...FAIL..
    It comes to a blunt, triangular point...nothing at all like an original..
    [​IMG]
    And the tips of the horns aren't body width like a VOS..they come to more of a point..
    So what if they have deeper cutaway bevels if they can't even get the fundamental body shape right..:dunno: For those that brag how accurate of a reproduction the VOS is, just stop..it really isn't.
    Even the "lowly, obviously inferior Norlin" '70's version still has the right outside edge, and crescent moon shape that extends to the tip of the horn, even if the cutaway bevels aren't as deep..The VOS does not.
    [​IMG]
    This '76 Standard is 100 times the guitar than that VOS was..a true Historic Killer..it stomped the piss out of the VOS tone wise, playability wise, fit and finish wise, oh yeah, was waay cheaper too...

To be fair, I play doom metal and the VOS just didn't cut it..worst Gibson I've ever owned...the '60's and '70's have something that the new ones NEVER will..

Alex_SG likes this.