The SG Bevel Reference Project

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by smitty_p, Jul 6, 2012.

1. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

This is correct. Gibson has failed with SG's since they changed the shape in 1966. They got worse, better, worse, better, worse, even worse, slightly better with a half arse'd attempt of giving a ****, then wtf, etc...

I'd really love to see Gibson appease SG players and make a '61-'63 Les Paul/SG Standard or Custom, Junior, or Special that is as accurate to those years as they try to do with their Les Paul models. With a CNC machine cutting out the body blanks, it's not tough to do.

BTW, I'm in Memphis for work this week. The Memphis factory is looking for a CNC operator ant a QC guy. If this hellhole wasn't land-locked without a cold water ocean near-by, I'd apply for the openings.... Just to advance the SG cause.

bwotw and JohnnyGoo like this.
  2. Dickey

Dickey Member

I never said the VOS bevels were exactly like 60s bevels; I said they are closer to 60s than production 61 or 62 reissue SG bevels, & much closer than batwing original or re-issue SG Standards. Unless you wanna spend $10,000/plus on a 60s SG, that won't even stay in tune, you buy a VOS to get as close as possible, NOT a production guitar.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  3. Dickey

Dickey Member

First of all, I don't believe there is such a thing as a "66 SG". The batwings didn't come on board till '67.

No; the batwing horn & bevels & body shpe were very different than the small pickguard SGs. The VOS is closer to small pickguard than any production model made today, but not as close as the original.

4. Dickey

Dickey Member

To be fair, I play doom metal and the VOS just didn't cut it..worst Gibson I've ever owned...the '60's and '70's have something that the new ones NEVER will..

No offense, but "doom metal" is not what I would call music that needs to have a good guitar to play, since it's just a lot of distortion & screaming, so don't know how your VOS didn't "cut it". My VOS KILLS my '013 Standard, and no SG in the world can come close to sounding as good as my old 60s batwings or Tele.

You people keep missing the point. I never said the VOS replicates the early 60s exactly. It doesn't. It just comes closer than any production model made today, IN APPEARANCE ONLY.

The 60's SGs were the best sounding & playing, as long as you didn't breathe on them or mind them going out of tune every song, which is why among my friends they were nicknamed "S Gflats".

The 70s Norlins were great players & great sounders, but looked like crap, with horrible fit & finish, & body shapes that looked like they were cut out by people tripping on LSD. The volute & lesser neck angle made them a little more solid than batwings, but man they were hideous & hence not really collectable like earlier ones.

The very first 61 or 62 reissues from the 80s had the least accurate body shapes--looking down on the upper horn from playing position, it actually got wider as it approached the tip. I bought one of the first ones to be released; with the "chainsaw" case, around '87 or so, & sold it because I thought it was ugly.

Another thing to remember--SGs changed practically every single year for half a century. Body shape, bevels, color, etc, was not standard year to year on SGs (or 335s) like they were on Les Pauls (with the exception of cutaway binding width) So...who is to say that early 60s SG shape is correct, & not a batwing or Norlin or VOS, since all generations had different shapes? The VOS is just the closest so far to the 60s small pickguard, especially with the 5-ply pickguard & TRC. Small details, but make a big difference. YES; the tips of the horns on the VOS are closer to body width than the early 60s, but so are the production models, unless you are talking the early 2000 re-issues, which had points so thin & sharp you could stab someone with them. Those weren't accurate either, as the points & cuts were too sharply defined.

Prolly the biggest difference between VOS & original, is that the original looks more "hand-carved".

PermissionToLand likes this.
  5. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

My two production 61RI have very different bevels. The red one is a 2001, the white one a 2007. I like the bevels on the red one better ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Wow! Not that kind of Doom metal..think inspired by Black Sabbath meets Molly Hatchet, downtuned, but with guitar harmonies...I'm actually very inspired by Southern Rock and 70s hard rock as well..Not any remotely screamy, thank you...tone matters to me, I use a 70s JMP 100watt Super Lead with a matching basketweave with G12H30s...I'm pretty serious about my sound, and know the difference between good and bad tone.
    My' '65 Junior has pretty stable tuning, as does my '76 Standard..I use heavier gauge strings, 10-52, because I tune down, which for sure helps with a thicker tone and tuning stability..
    I had negative experiences with VOS SGs, but really like the R7s and R8 I've owned in the past, but the '65 eats 'em alive IMO..
    I wasn't trying to dis anyone who loves their VOS, but in my experience, the '65, '72 and '76 SGs just had more of what I need tone wise, and for my money, Kalamazoo Gibsons, Norlin or not, are better suited for ME..also I know what you were saying about the bevels, its just after comparing VOS to a 60s model side by side, the difference is very clear..it's the bodacious claims by Gibson Custom of how accurate they are when they aren't is what burns my ass..
    Also, I do agree with '67 being the first year for batwing guards..I constantly tell folks this myself, that SG may very well have late '66 pots, but any pot code after week 45 is 9.5 timea out of 10 are the next years models..

58pit and ypnos like this.
  7. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

kris. have you ever heard of the uncle acid and the deadbeats??
    their second album is great, it's like you hear sabbath on the sabbath bloody sabbath period

great band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjO5PuXJO48

58pit and bwotw like this.
  8. Kris Ford

I have! Need to give them more time and listening.. More of a 70s era PENTAGRAM fan, and a '64 or '65 SG Special was the weapon of choice for them..:dude:

58pit likes this.
  9. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

58pit and bwotw like this.
  10. Dickey

Dickey Member

it's the bodacious claims by Gibson Custom of how accurate they are when they aren't is what burns my ass..

Yea; but just about every company that manufactures a product does that. The new Camaros, Challengers, & Mustangs only slightly resemble the originals, yet they are infinitely better cars than their predecessors. Same with the reissue (for want of a better word) Harleys. A New Heritage Softail is supposed to look like an old Panhead, but only slightly resembles it. yet, it is a much better bike in every way.

Think of a VOS this way...Not an exact replica of an early 60s, but arguably THE best looking SG since then. Like it or dislike it for what it is, NOT what it's supposed to resemble. Just like with Chevy, Dodge, or Harley.

11. Kris Ford

Cosmetics aside, still didn't care for them..but that's ok, there's the right SG for everyone.:thumb:

Alex_SG and 58pit like this.
  12. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

This a a great thread to show the differences of the bevels over the years. Once again thank you Kris, and others for all the info. I had not realized some of the drastic differences. This is a shot of the horns on my 85 Standard. Virtually NO bevel on the top horn, and about the normal bevel on the bottom. Good place to learn about guitars, thats for sure.

[​IMG]

Lunacy the Faded and ypnos like this.
  13. V_1

V_1 Guest

Why did you buy it?

14. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

:(

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  15. Kris Ford

Hate to say, but he is wrong...that is a '67 SN#..Vintage Guitars Info - Gibson collecting vintage gibson guitars (scroll down to the Feb '61 to 1970 section...) that SG probably has late '66 pot codes..I have been searching for a VERY long time..and have never ONCE seen a true '66 batwing SG..made in '66 as a '66 and sold in '66...some have late '66 pot codes, but 1967 is when the batwing appeared.
    Also, there are small guard '67s still..so much false information out there about these..yes, the batwing may have appeared in '66, on a designer's drafting board, but not on a SG until 1967..

ypnos likes this.
  16. Alex_SG

whatever...

17. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

"When I was young I had to wear those orthodontic shoes."

"You mean orthopedic."

"I stand corrected."

18. Alex_SG

There is obviously no point trying to argue here... Or put across a differing POV.,so I quit this thread... Seeya.

19. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Aw hell there all SGs.find the one ya like and play the darn thing.i find a little beauty in all of them.its all good.

20. Kris Ford

Wow..ouch! Was that aimed at me?:dunno:

That Sparking Burgandy SG is a '67..the list of SN#s I sent in that link are from the actual Gibson shipping ledgers..that site has some errors, but that ain't one of 'em!