The Soft case that comes with the new SG Standard.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Gnairn23, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Member

yes, this one..

[​IMG]

Anyone else digging this case?
    Would you be confident transferring your baby in one of these?

2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

It’s more padded than your average gig bag, but it’s still a gig bag.

For me, gig bags are only used when the guitar does not leave my sight, and is only carried by me. Otherwise hard case only.

Biddlin and arcticsg like this.
  3. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Don't like the one I have. I mean they're better than the black gig bags and great for their midrange product line. But ever since they started using that damn bag for the SG Standard I can't stand them, lol. At this point, I won't buy another NEW SG until the basic SG Standard comes shipped with the hard case again. Every Gibson SG Standard should come with the factory hardcase, period.

Sorry, a pet peeve of mine.

[​IMG]

Softcase = [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    macdog, DaveInSoCal, ChrisM84 and 2 others like this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

For the average buyer, who will play the guitar for a total of 3 hours before it goes in the closet with the fencing foil and mask, they are probably ok. If you drive a rolling yacht like me and strap it into its own seat, it's fine. If you slam it in the back of your Ute with all the amps, mic stands and your winter tires, not so good. On the other hand, I've bought Gibson cases at pawnshops for under $100 and other comparable or better protection is similarly priced in the second hand market.

Demon Dave and arcticsg like this.
  5. Biddlin

I guess I'd get a case and use the bag to carry a couple of bats, some balls gloves and towels for the softball game....:smile:

arcticsg likes this.
  6. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Member

thanks for the comment. Yes, I did buy a gator case with the SG for times when I want that extra protection when transporting it.
    I'd probably use the soft case if I was getting a lift to the store or whatever, basically whenever it's in my possession.

7. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Their black gigbags make excellent rifle cases as well :D

jtees4 and Biddlin like this.
  8. Biddlin

Mildly off-topic, I had a huge Larry Coryell LCS II jazz archtop for a few years and there was no factory case available so I ordered a custom made from Ontario, Canada. When I sold the guitar to Guitar center, I discovered that the case only adds $1 dollar to their offered price. I kept the case and keep an acoustic dreadnought in it. P1010015.JPG

9. semka

semka New Member

Yep, that's exactly what I use them for. Having said that, the hard-shell case should come with all mahogany neck SGs. I am OK with the softcase (that is being discussed here) for my 2018 Faded because it has a maple neck, but the black gigbag that came with my early SG was promptly repurposed as mentioned and replaced with a generic hardcase.

arcticsg likes this.
  10. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Wow, I did not know that Gibson has made the move to gig bags rather than hard cases for new SGs. That's, I'll be kind, a terrible move.

Though the price is relatively low, SGs are considered professional instruments. Their market is not the first-time-player. Not the learner. A professional instrument should be sold with a professional case.

Demon Dave likes this.
  11. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings...

honestly, it’s the nicest gig bag I have ever seen.

That said, a brand new Gibson should always come with a hard case and NEVER a gig bag.

to be blunt. Possibly for a special, or even a tribute, but a standard. No way, the only empathy I will give them is the fact they are trying to keep cost down. Which is fair. Bottom dollar counts these days, and many folks can live without a hard case (or use an existing one). As we know, those that buy a Gibson SG, already have 2; lol.

12. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

is it just a gig bag?
    or one of those with a molded foam interior?
    i hope its the latter.

13. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Member

I got this case as part of a deal with the SG Standard

[​IMG]

Would you be confident putting your pride and joy into this?
    How are Gator cases in general?

14. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

let me say this about that...

There has been a lot of improvement in guitar case technology
    in the 21st century.

As a guy who's had decades of experience loading instruments in and out of
    mini vans and in and out of venues in all weather conditions, I have some
    strong opinions about how this should be done.
    van packed 2018@100.jpg
    For my part, the requirements for an excellent guitar case are:
    1. Protection of the instrument inside.
    2. Light enough to make loading go as easily as possible.
    3. Durability, such that the case itself doesn't need protection
    4. Harmlessness to other gear stacked with it

Using these criteria, I'm down to a few types of case that get the nod. Most
    of what you see in the van above gets rejected. Including the vaunted Calton
    case at lower right. That's a POS. A very expensive piece of shite. The lovely
    Fender Tweed case I bought to house my '66 Jazz bass, got sold with that
    instrument. A good case, but too easily marred. The handsome brown Gibson case
    came with my 2018 J-45 AG also gets rejected. MUCH too easily marred.
    A case that needs to be protected is not roadable.

1. The high quality gig bag checks all the requirement boxes. I have my prized Warmoth bass
    stashed in a gig bag by Reunion Blues. This is the kind that has been proven to protect
    a Fender type instrument while being thrown off a four story parking structure. These
    are not cheap, but neither was my bass. It's a LOT lighter this way too.
    Reunion Blues open.jpg
    2. The space age plastic case seems better for a more fragile Gibson. It can still be
    crushed if run over by a tank, but seems to stand up to most other damage quite well.
    Impacts don't damage the case. The instrument is very safe inside. I don't generally care
    for plastic things, but my Hiscox dreadnought case has flown to Europe twice, and to Alaska
    and California with no problems. The Calton case above won't close any more, and the
    airlines were able to knock the rubber feet off it, leaving jagged screw mounts to damage
    other gear stacked with it (my gear, the Calton belongs to Davie). When I sold my Mossman
    dred, I didn't include the Hiscox case, and that now protects my Gibson J-45.
    Hoscox open.jpg
    For as tough as this Hiscox case is, it's not too heavy. The jagged edges
    of Davie's Calton case have not been able to damage the Hiscox. *grins
    case open@100.jpg
    The Gibson case that came with the acoustic, and also the above Gibson case
    I bought for my beloved '07 SG... these are beautiful and elegant, and they fit
    the instrument perfectly, but they are too fragile for gigging, unless yer roadies
    wear white gloves and wrap them in mover's quilts to load into the equipment
    locker. The Gibson black gig bag that came with my 2012 SG special did not
    give enough protection to the instrument and got rejected right away.
    Luna:SKB@100.jpg
    My favorite SG now resides in a hard plastic case, the SKB-61. This hard plastic case checks all
    the boxes, and is highly recommended. I managed to find them on sale twice, and so got mine
    for like $89... they are much more than that if you don't watch for a sale. When I say there have
    been advances in guitar case technology, this is what I mean. Hard and smooth, they take no
    damage from the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, and they give none. Latches are
    protected. TSA approved.

The Gator case shown by the OP above is likely a less expensive version of what I'm
    talking about. It looks tough and smooth... much more roadable than the elegant Gibson
    Gig bag first shown. Although that Gibson Gig bag might be better than the gig bags of auld.
    If they've paid any attention to technology changes in recent years, it ought to be.

Good luck to all ye shivering guitarists, waiting in the snow behind the tavern for the owner
    to open the greasy back door. Or looking carefully out that same back door later, checking the
    shadows in the alley for visible tracks, hoping to load out and get away clean.
    ...with a pocket full of cash and a van full of great instruments, and a couple of
    giggling ladies perched on yer guitar cases, let's go out for breakfast...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  15. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Member

Thanks, great post Col Mustard.
    That is good to know that the Gator case is based on the case you revere so much. Makes me feel more confident putting my SG in it and taking it about.

Col Mustard likes this.
  16. Biddlin

I have a Gator case for my j-200 sce. It's great.

Col Mustard and koaguilds like this.
  17. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Member

love for the gator cases then!

18. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

OK, the Gibson stock cases may be more expensive, but it is the case that is married to the guitar. Why buy some aftermarket case when the real deal is easily obtained?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Demon Dave and arcticsg like this.
  19. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Member

I got the Gator case as part of a deal, so it was basically free. Are they that bad? The general consensus seems to be that they are great.

20. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I don't know. The real case isn't that much more money, it does the job of protection, and it is a real nice looking case (the white interior is so cool). Plus it has GIBSON written on the outside. I love that on my cases. Heck, if a case doesn't have it, I make a stencil and spray the name of the gear onto the case. Maybe that makes me a bit loony, but I like the way it looks:

[​IMG]

arcticsg likes this.