The Soft case that comes with the new SG Standard.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Gnairn23, Nov 16, 2019.

1. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Active Member

This really is a pet peeve of mine as well. If you buy what is considered a "pro" level guitar, it should come with a hard case period. It used to be that way with Gibson but they are slowly phasing out hard cases for most guitars.
    In my opinion a guitar that is prone to headstocks breaking should never be placed in a gig bag, I won't even take mine out of the house in a gig bag, especially one of the $h**tty ones Gibson provides.

I have replaced most of the crappy Gibson bags with Epiphone hard cases now, they are great medium duty cases for practicing / gigging around town and not too pricey.

koaguilds and arcticsg like this.
  2. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Most of the Gibson SG cases since the 90's have been made in Canada by TKL. In 2011 and 2012 they had some batches that were made in Costa Rica which are almost identical except they are MUCH more rigid and heavy. The lid on my 2011 SG Standard Limited case from Costa Rica weighs more than the entire TKL case that came with my 2012 SG Standard. I think its 7 ply shell versus the normal 5 ply shell construction. It has the normal white interior of that era but doesn't have the simulated snakeskin vinyl covering. It has a more traditional covering like you would find on a fancy Martin guitar case. It's a much sturdier case than the TKL.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/made-in-costa-rica-hardcases.362083/

I could take comparison pics later if anyone is interested.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    cerebral gasket and gball like this.
  3. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

O well, guess I'll step up to the one that comes with a hard case. Y'a'll can have that flimsy zipper bag.

4. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

A rectangular Fender-style G&G case will do the trick, and a looker to boot!:)

5. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Not that I'm complaining, but isn't it strange the new SG Specials do include a hard shell case...?

arcticsg and pancake81 like this.
  6. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

yeah, and that’s not a bad thing. Heck, they should all come with one. Bit o do find that Gibson’s priorities and assessment of their guitar hierarchy is a yes sometimes

7. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Hard cases for SG Specials and Juniors, but not the SG Standard. [​IMG]

That's okay, I've finally come to terms of not buying a "new" Gibson SG Standard each year for the collection. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  8. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Member

Does anyone else rate Gator cases?

9. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I don't have a Gator case but I do have a few aftermarket cases that I have bought and let's be honest, they can be just as good (or just as bad) as cases that come stock with guitars.

10. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Member

Exactly, we often think that if something isn't a brand name product then it must be inferior.

11. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one that had noticed! The Costa-Rican case that my '16 Trad came in is a tank. Easily the heaviest/best protection case I have ever had for any guitar, including the chainsaw that came with my '79 Custom. The TKL's feel like junk in comparison.

koaguilds likes this.
  12. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

With Gibson, only hard shell cases give me a peace of mind. I wouldn't trust soft bags for anything more than short car trips. Fenders are a different story. Last year I traveled (from US) to Europe and back with a tele on a Mono Sleeve. They let me bring it in the cabin as the case looks very slim and light. Pricey, but amazing quality.

[​IMG]

13. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

cool... that's one of the best things about a good quality bag... it protects the instrument and you can take it on the plane without checking it.