The term Vintage

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Norlin SG, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

In that case....

I have some vintage socks that I'm selling if you're interested.

tmp_29778-holy_socks_by_msclvr1996-d557kvy-863930212.jpg

(I'm a scumbag)

drown likes this.
  2. dexspeed

dexspeed Active Member

'Vintage' and 'road worn'; Those should fetch top dollar on craigslist!

Chubbles likes this.
  3. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

There's use of "vintage' and use of "vintage." in 1972 I played a 1952 Les Paul, then only twenty years old and hard to play due to a poor tailpiece design, that was referred to as "vintage." In 2017 I own and play a 1974 Les Paul, now forty-three years old, a guitar that I've been playing for forty years, that plays wonderfully and with which I've played countless recording sessions. Some on other boards sneer will never be anything better than "old" and will never join the ranks of the guitars they call "vintage." There are '70s guitars and '70s guitars and what those who sneer think doesn't much concern me.

There are those who would pay good money for this guitar, including the very best guitar tech I've ever known, the man who re-fretted it. Not anything like the money you'd pay for a late '50s or early '60s guitar mind you, but pretty good money.

It serves me. Some, including me, respect it. It is enough.

Bob

SG standard and Chubbles like this.
  4. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Compare that to my first electric, a 1970s Lyle SG. A piece of plywood with a decent playing neck. They were often sold in Sears. They now sell for over 200.00. Totally not worth it for an old toy. I would never consider it "vintage". For some reason, it is worth more just for being old.

5. Rox

Rox Active Member

And yet, as I get older I'm worth less and less... there's no justice in the world... :D

dexspeed and Chubbles like this.