The Truth About Marshall Stacks (there, I said it)

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Kevy Nova, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I remember younger days when friends (& even unknowns once in a while) where seemingly lined up & ready to roadie, do lights, help with sound & just basically be involved with the group & a part what was happening, especially around the high-school years & early 20's. Kinda miss that!

In fact, for people & players around my age, the whole scene has changed so dramatically that when I think about it I really just feel grateful that I'm still playing & the music feels relevant.

There's some clubs where the house music comes on after a gig & I cant believe what Im listening to & playing in the same place for people that listen to that $#!t*^!! And yet people do listen to our music, dance & appear to be having a grand old time. So..WTF happened to the music??? Dare I suggest its the price of the music industry loosing its power & control? At least they used to screen out the proverbial trash to a large extent. Even though that setup wasn't perfect......And what this has do do with Marshall stacks is......ah yes .. I got it now, kinda, sorta, here goes.. things once where what they were, things always change, and some things are still awesome & will always be awesome despite the change that surrounds it, dates it, & seemingly passes it by. Well, ya'll catch me drift. Life's been good and I keep those stacks for 'good' reason.

Voxman, alans sg and jojo68 like this.
  2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I ain't beatin a dead horse here, I think, BUT, every time someone comes over and is curious about Marshall 100 stacks from the 60's I plug them into one or two and they are completely in shock :laugh2: Thats after they say those things are dinosuars ..... They couldn't believe the sound, clean or dirty of which I would just say " It's a "" Rite of passage "" that every guitarist should experience when he gets up to that stage of his development " And if you never ever have that opportunity one might be missing a link in the DNA of his musicial development ... As Jimi used to say " Are You Experienced " :dude:

gtone, Kris Ford and Relic61 like this.
  3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I know they are great amps, but I'm curious just how good the clean is....I've never really heard anyone play Marshalls for the clean tone.

I mean, really jazz-country Fender amp clean?

4. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

It's late so after 2 DR's appts tomorrow . But come to my house ... blindfolded of course :naughty:! Ya welcome , and evryone hears and has a different touch so what works for one might not be as favored by another while that fact is what makes this stuff so much fun, sorry 1:30 am n gotta go " saw wood " zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

5. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

That's mostly true but remember that a lot of those "classic" tones from the '60s and '70s are, by modern standards, pretty clean. :hmm:

6. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Relatively cleaner - when I say clean I mean Joe Pass clean...Johnny Smith clean....old-time country spanking clean.

But you're right, a lot of 60's and 70's stuff is a lot less distorted than much music today. Even listening to old early Zep records, the guitar tones had some distortion but some of them mixed in were a lot cleaner - not perfectly clean, but as you say, a lot less than the mega-crunch used now.

7. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    I haven't been following this thread, but has this been posted? I'm guessing yes by now,

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

dbb likes this.
  8. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I don't remember the thread, but, yes it has been posted. But, it never gets old!

9. flyswatter

flyswatter Member

I get the irony, but everytime I see this picture I think "Yeah, but the dude's still playing through a couple of high gain ENGLs." A pair of those'll still blow the windows out of the boathouse.

dbb likes this.
  10. smitty_p

"Blow Out the Windows" would be a good name for a rock album.

flyswatter likes this.
  11. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Yes, that is true! those ENGL's are serious firepower.

That pic would be even funnier if it had a little combo amp miced up.

I still like it.

some more:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/in-defense-of-small-low-wattage-amps/

Don't forget, micing counts!

[​IMG]

Six String likes this.
  12. Relic61

Here's a free get rich idea for an ambitious member (because Im generous {er ok lazy}) :laugh2:

Life size Marshall Stack Wallpaper!!! :wow:

:hmm:

Of course Marshall will want it licensing pound of flesh but still....think of the potential & how many people would love to use it! Bedroom, Man Cave, Studio, Music Store, Practice Room. I can see my rehearsal space & my new icon now!
    [​IMG]

I know, yer welcome!

[​IMG]

Seems someone has tried it as "art"! But I'm talking
    eight foot high sections of Marshal Stack wallpaper.

What? Bigger you say!?!?
    [​IMG]

13. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

That's hilarious!

14. smitty_p

I have another confession...

The other day I found myself pricing out Marshall half stacks.

bloosman1 and Kris Ford like this.
  15. Relic61

Brandy new? Used? Vintage, Classic JMP? JCM? Anything but MG models Smitty?!?!

16. smitty_p

Oh, it wasn't anything too serious. I pretty much just typed, "Marshall 50 watt half stack," into eBay to see what came up. My interest is primarily two channel units with effects loops, though I'm not seriously planning to buy, just yet. I suppose a JCM 2000 would be the candidate.

17. Relic61

If'n yer into the newer stuff, the DSL heads offer up a wide range of tones from 'clean and powerful' to 'tightly driven' to 'thick & heavily saturated'. I've never seen or hear anyone that has bought one (knowing wtf they were doing of course) that wasn't showering praises & head over heals infatuated with them. I have the 1 watt 50th Anniversary tube head & have to admit, It is versatile as hell & yes, I do love it!

18. smitty_p

I do have the DSL 5C combo (though, I use an external speaker) and I like it quite a bit.

19. Relic61

I guess I should have known that but hadn't picked up on it or remembered such a thing! So you know how versatile those DSL & TSL Marshalls can be. While Marshalls are often though of as the saturated, driving rock machine, I really love the clean channel on the tiny 1 watter and the spanky clean I get from my point to point pre circuit board 71 Super Lead. Even with an attenuator on that Super Lead it doesnt distort too much until the volume gets past 1 O'Clock. Just sounds like good solid rock n roll guitar should sound.

20. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

I played a DSL 100W half stack at a rehearsal this summer at the guy's house who was hosting it. Could dial in some decent tones, but it sure was a long way removed from my '70 smallbox JMP. I mostly just used the vintage channel and tried to keep the power section on broil to get anything near what I was used to.

BTW, that old 50W JMP Lead of mine just flows with tone at almost every setting. so its ridiculously easy to dial in quickly. The only knocks I have on it are: 1) cleans are middy and bit strident (yeah I know - who buys a Marshall for cleans? Besides I get my glassy cleans from the Bassman), and 2) anything past about 6-7 on either channel starts getting pretty compressed quite quickly. Great if you're going for that certain kind of sound, but if you're not...

Good thing about those DSL's is the price - you can sure can pick one up for a good price. The old JMP's - not so much...:laugh2: