The Ultimate Modulator?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by plankton, Nov 2, 2018.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Awhile back I bought a second-hand MXR Flanger off ebay as it was going for a good price. I figured I could have a bit of fun doing jet plane swooshes and I'd also heard that it can do a decent chorus sound. Neither are things I would use a lot, but since when do guitarists only buy gear they really need?

After learning a bit about what each knob actually does and spending some quality time with this thing I've come to one conclusion. Everyone needs a four-knob flanger.

The amount of different tones in this thing seem endless. Several great chorus sounds, warbly vibrato, cool filter stuff and of course classic flanger tones. Plus combinations of those things and some completely over the top crap as well.

Now it doesn't do the univibe thing and it can get a bit phasey, but it's no substitute for the real thing IMO. So maybe it's The Almost Ultimate Modulator.

Here's a great article that helped me understand how each knob works and led me to getting the most from a pedal that was was bought on a lark but has become indispensable.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Get_More_Out_of_Your_Flanger

Happy flanging! :dude:

2. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Interesting read. I have owned a late 70's Boss BF-1 (the gigantic sized pedal) for about 25 years and learned a lot from that article.
    Should make it easier to dial in what I am looking for.
    Thanks for sharing the link!

plankton likes this.
  3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Flanger is a great modulation effect, no doubt, and I do have one included in my pedal setup as well, set on the more chorusy side, but still with a bit of wooshy swirl, and though I don't really use it all that much it does sound great combined with a phaser, with the feedback dialed in high, for a quite psychedelic effect with a somewhat mystical oriental flavor and slightly sitar-esque quality to it.

However my personal favorite modulation effect is probably tremolo, even if it might not be a particular versatile effect, just love the sense of motion and almost 3 dimensional effect it adds to my tone when applied fairly subtly, as well as the associations it inevitably gives one to film noir and 60's surf music.

I like tremolo even better when combined with a vibrato effect, acting as a deep lush chorus by mixing in some clean signal with the modulated signal via my Boss LS-2, placed behind it though.

Gives this incredible beautifully lush and mellow pulsating tone that has a very dreamy vibe to it, in certain aspects sharing some similarity to that of the effect of a harmonic tremolo, just somewhat thicker sounding and with a more pronounced chorusy character.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019