Thinning the Herd

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by cerebral gasket, Aug 12, 2018.

1. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I have been an SG Special hoarder and decided it was time to let a few of them go that don't get played. How many of the same guitar do we really need? Figured it was time to add some variety to the mix and scooped this up...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Roca, Robus, rotorhead and 4 others like this.
  2. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

I can dig it. What will you be playing on that thing?

In my mind a bone white stratocaster screams HENDRIX. That being said i use my strat for slide exclusively, and my SG for fingerstyle.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I love my SG, but there's nothing else quite like the neck pickup on a Strat, plus the trem is good fun. I never liked the singlecoil bridge sound though, so mine is an HSS. Tuned down a half step for that slinky bending feel.

4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

White with a maple board - my favourite kind of Strat. :)

I recently had to thin the heard (well, just to make space for incoming), and sold my American Deluxe Strat, keeping my MiM Standard Strat - somehow I preferred it, despite the fancy details on the USA model. Looks like that's a MiM you've got there, is it?

5. cerebral gasket

I just happen to like classic bone white Strats and wanted it for playing other styles as well that require a single coil sound.

Yes, it's a 1999 MIM Standard Strat that I found second hand. It has all the features that I wanted to get those single coil sounds that I cannot get with the SG.

The neck pickup is what I really wanted it for and have always liked that sound. I had considered a P-94 in the neck of one of my SG with humbuckers, but figured if I want a Strat neck sound, then get a Strat. Use the right tool for the job instead of trying to make an SG sound like something else that it is not. So far I do like the single coil in the bridge position.

Having different guitars with single coils, P-90’s and humbuckers is great.

plankton, Layne Matz and syscokid like this.
  6. cerebral gasket

My intent was to thin the herd of duplicate guitars. I must confess that the Strat was not the only guitar that followed me home the same day. I also scooped up this 2007 Melody Maker pictured below. The single coil sounds very bright and makes for a great fingerstyle guitar. I really like the simplicity of these single pickup guitars.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Layne Matz likes this.
  7. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

I used to wonder how or why someone would want a single pickup guitar. Then i put on strat Pup on my acoustic that i use for slide. It transformed the guitar into a bad ass electric as well as acceptable acoustic. Sounds like a strat middle pup mixed with a neck pup and an acoustic.

I test drove an Epi LP SL last fall and I was very pleased with it, the action was just barely high enough for slide. Most all guitars at GC are set up with such low action and such thin strings its a real turn off for a slide guitarist when you cant find a single electric in the store with slightly higher action ansld have to go into the acoustic room just for something high enough to play. For $79 new thats a crazy good deal. Although I think that was around black friday.

I love Zeppelin but I dont by any means try to imitate them. That being said, the Epi SL was very easily overdriven and had a great Jimmy page tone. Like the tone on "In My Time Of Dyin"

*I just checked and they are 119 now. That's BS if you ask me. 79-95 is more acceptable.

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Thinnig the herd the guy said, then comes up with 2 new acquisitions and no trace of the ones supposedly being discarded.

Hmmm ...

Paul G. and Layne Matz like this.
  9. cerebral gasket

Thinned the herd from 7 SG to 4 SG.
    Added two non-SG guitars to the herd.
    You do the math.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018