This might be the best Overdrive pedal I've come across...

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Chuteboxehero, May 21, 2020 at 12:01 AM.

1. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I love overdrive pedals, especially Tube Screamer and Klon inspired pedals. I don't think I've bought one I haven't liked. Most however, are one trick ponies. As long as they do that trick well, I'm happy. What I don't like is the trend of "boutique" pedals starting around $200.
    Anyhow, the local Sam Ash reopened today and for the first time in months, I went pedal shopping. I've heard great things about Earthquaker Devices pedals and noticed their TS808 based Plumes. What sold me on this in particular is the mode switch. You can switch between symmetrical, asymmetrical and no clipping. And all 3 options give you very different but equally awesome results. Mode 1 into a clean 5w amp gives you hot and crunchy overdrive. Into a dirty channel things get crazy. With this pedal the tone and gain knobs are very usable so there is a lot of in between. Mode 3 sounds like a Tube Screamer. Results were as expected through the same amp. What surprised me the most was mode 2. No clipping straight clean boost, which is how I usually run my regular Tube Screamer. Something is very different with this pedal when clean boosting. This thing had my 5w Blackstar howling. In a good way. Like I didn't recognize the sound coming out of it. In a good way. I'm going to try again tomorrow when no one is sleeping to make sure it wasn't some type of placebo effect, but I'm pretty confident it wasn't.
    Long story short, great pedal. Might be the best overdrive I've come across. And the reason I mentioned the price of pedals at the beginning... It was hand built in Akron, OH and cost $99. I appreciate that....
    [​IMG]