Three Mini Humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by indy_sg_noob, Mar 22, 2017.

1. indy_sg_noob

indy_sg_noob New Member

So, I picked up an 2014 SG Standard neck and body and someone along the way did some weird routing to install some p90's or something. It was pretty cheap and since the resale value is shot, I'm considering the possibility of adding a Bigsby B3 and 3 mini humbuckers because I love the tone and I've played HHH Custom SG's and the pick constantly slapping a humbucker was mildly annoying. Anyway, do you guys see any obvious pitfalls I am not considering?

1. Will a Bigsby B3/towner be enough weight to counter the neck dive?
    2. Debating on a rotary switch, some kind of strat style 5 way blender switch or three independent volumes. Suggestions?
    3. Any creative pickguard material besides the batwing plastic?
    4. Coil tapping/splitting? Good idea with the mini's?

Thanks frank montag dot com for the virtual guitar builder. This is what I had in mind but with the B3

the_SG.png

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Not in my experience (exactly that arrangement on a 2014), I didn't notice any change at all. The Bigsby is pretty lightweight, but it might make a difference if your neck dive issue is minimal to begin with. There are plenty of solutions to neck dive: Reduce the weight at the headstock, move the rear strap button, add ballast, use a thick strap with plenty of grip, etc.

3. indy_sg_noob

indy_sg_noob New Member

That is very helpful. I may experiment with moving the strap button but it would be the first hole I've ever drilled into a guitar. I may not be able to do it then again its not like its anything vintage.

4. drown

drown Well-Known Member

If neck dive is a concern you could try a metal pickguard of some kind. I've seen some Stainless Steel ones....That will add some balast

5. jvin248

jvin248 Active Member

Ballast ... metal wrapped in bubble wrap/tape and put in the control cavity.
    Or a suede-backed guitar strap.
    Might hang weights on the strap near the bottom button (kind of like the pros tape on battery packs for their wireless systems).

6. indy_sg_noob

indy_sg_noob New Member

Hmm. I have some Cuban relatives who grew up around the Santeria stuff. Maybe I'll ask for a grisgris and add some rocks to keep in the control cavity. Not even joking. I'd ask for a mojo but they'd give me a garlic/lime sauce.