Tiny new tube amp info thread! (WIP)

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Heket, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Tiny new tube amp info thread! (WIP)

As a result of a previous discussion thread, I decided it was time we place all our small tube amp knowledge in one place. I know we have "Show your small tube amp" but I figured that a thread which has more specific information for potential buyers and is not so pic-heavy would be a useful thing to have. This is not just a thread for straight out information, feel free to ask questions too!

Before I start, these are the aims of my thread:

* By 'tiny tube amp' I mean an all-tube amplifier combo or head that is capable of running at 5W or less. This can be expanded if others request, and I will cover the Oranges that go to 7.5W further on.

* I will gather my information as much as I can from old threads here to keep things personal, and greatly appreciate input from members about their favourite amps!

* There will be a list of amps and then hopefully a few comments about each one from members or from internet research.

* I intend that the information here will be most useful to those looking to buy new amps. If I would cover every single small vintage or otherwise unavailable amp save for the used market it'd be a never ending story! Also I don't wish to get people excited about an amp only to force them to trawl through the second-hand market on the off-chance that someone might be selling one.

* I will try my best to keep updated and keep an eye out for new releases.

:jam:

So, the tiny tube amp. Becoming increasingly popular, tiny tube amps are happy in your bedroom and they keep your neighbours happy too! In the market for something small but punchy? Here is a list of amps that are available to buy new:

Truly tiny - 5W or less:

Blackheart Killer Ant (1W) (SS rectifier)
    Blackheart Little Giant (5W) (SS rectifier)
    Blackstar HT1 (1W) and HT5 (5W)
    Bogner Panama (4W/2W) (these ain't cheap!)
    Bugera V5 All-Valve Guitar Combo (5W, switchable to 1W and 0.1W)
    Egnater Rebel-20 (larger amp switchable to 1W)
    Engl E315 Gigmaster (Switchable to 5W and 1W)
    Epiphone Valve Junior (5W) (becoming unavailable?)
    Fender Greta (2W)
    Hayden Lil Mofo 2 (2W)
    H&K Tubemesiter 5 (5W) and 18 (18 W, 5W, 1W switchable)
    Kustom Defender 5H(5W) and Kustom Defender 15H (switchable to 4W)
    Laney Cub 8 (5W) and 12 (switchable to 1W)
    Laney Tony Iommi 15W combo (switchable to 1W)
    Marshall Slash SL-5 (5W)
    Marshall Class 5 (5W) (becoming unavailable? Couldn't find it many places)
    Marshall 50th Anniversary (1W) (limited and expensive)
    Mesa Boogie TransAtlantic 15 (switchable to 5W)
    Mesa Boogie Express Plus 5:25 and 5:50 (larger amps, both switchable to 5W)
    Randall Diavlo series 1W and 5W heads and combos (coming soon, shown at NAAM Jan '13)
    Surprise Sound Rock Block (1W)
    Vintage 47 amps, this guy can build 5 watters(period correct copies of the Valco original designs)
    Vox Lil Night Train (2W)
    Vox AC4tv (4W down to 0.25W)
    ZVEX Nano Head (0.5W distorted)

Ones I didn't include because I found them to be largely out of stock:
    Fender Excelsior
    Jet City Picovalve
    Traynor Dark horse

Small 5.5W - 7.5W:

Bogner New Yorker, Brixton, Lafayette (switchable to 6W)
    Marshall DSL 15H/C (switchable to 7.5W)
    Plenty of Oranges, such as the Tiny Terror, Dark Terror, Dual Terror, TH30 are switchable down to 7.5W.
    VHT AV-SP1-6 Special 6 (6W)
    Vox Night Train (switchable to 7.5W)
    [I'm sure there are plenty more of these]

A quick note on hybrids:
    Most hybrids are seen as solid state with a novelty tube, but a couple of them are regarded quite highly, namely the Orange Micro Terror and the Vox Valvetronix range. [Are the Spider valves and Vyper valves hybrid too?]

So, there's the list. I am going to do more research into it, look at videos and comments from users on other forums, but I thought I'd at least get the list up there. I now open the floor to ETSG members should you have any comments to add about any of these amps! Being British I've probably missed a lot of amps known mainly in the US. Let me know if you find any more!

I myself am looking for a British high-gain sound from a tiny amp, preferably 1W or 2W, not too modern sounding. I tried Blackstar, wasn't for me.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  2. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

More info:

Blackheart Killer Ant (1W)
    Control: Volume. Preamp Tubes: 2 x 12AX7.

Blackheart Little Giant (5W)
    Controls: Volume with 3 Band EQ. Preamp Tubes: 1 x 12AX7, Power Tubes: 1 x EL84.

HT1 - Controls: Volume, tone (Blackstar ISF EQ), Gain, clean/dirty channel switch, some models have reverb. Tubes 1xECC83 and 1xECC82. Combo comes with an 8" speaker.
    HT5 - Controls: Clean channel: Volume, tone. Overdrive channel: Volume, Gain. clean/overdrive channel switch. Bass, middle, treble, Blackstar ISF EQ, some models have reverb. Tubes 1xECC83 and 1x12BH7 valves. Combo has 12" Blackbird 50 custom designed speaker.

Bogner Panama (4W/2W)
    Controls: Volume, Tone/gain (4 position), 2 position mode switch, 3 position standby switch for 2W and 4W operation. Tubes: JJ ECC83s 1st and 2nd gain stage. 1x10 combo Custom Eminence 8 ohm, 1x12 combo Celestion G12H 8 ohm.

Controls: 1x gain control, 1x tone control, 1x volume control, Digital reverb, 2 way power attenuator (1W or 0.1W). Tubes: 1x 12AX7 and 1x EL84 valves.

Controls: Master, Tube mix, Watts (1-20W), treble, middle, bass, gain, bright/tight switch. Tubes: 3 x 12AX7 Sovteks in the preamp, 2 x 6V6 and 2 x EL84 JJ power tubes.

Controls: Input gain, lead drive, bass, middle, treble, lead volume, mid boost, clean lead, master volume. Tubes: ECC83S preamp valve and 2x EL84 power amp valves.

Epiphone Valve Junior (5W)
    Controls: Volume. Combo has 8 in. Eminence Speaker. Tube: 1 x 12AX7A Preamp Valve, 1 x EL84 Power Valve.

Fender Greta (2W)
    Controls: 1 volume, 1 tone. Tube compliment: 1x 12at7 power tube, 1x 12ax7 preamp tube. Speaker configuration: 1 internal, 4 inch.
    Dirty little beast, very little true clean headroom. Speakers need breaking in. Looks sweet!

Hayden Lil Mofo 2 (2W)
    Controls: Gain, bass, middle, treble, master, mix (I believe the latter is for use with the aux in). Pre-amp tube 1 x ECC82 valve. Combo comes with integral Celestion Super8 8" speaker.

Tubemeister 5 - Controls: Treble, mid, bass, drive switch, master, gain. Tubes: 1x 12AX7 and 1x 12BH7 tubes
    Tubemesiter 18 - Controls: Treble, mid, bass, Lead channel master and gain, Clean channel master and gain, Lead boost, channel select. Tubes: 2x 12 AX7 preamp valves, 2x EL84 poweramp valves.

Marshall Slash SL-5 (5W)

Marshall Class 5 (5W)

Marshall 50th Anniversary (1W)

5:25 - Channel A- Clean/Crunch toggle, Gain, Bass, Moddle, Treble, Reverb, Master, Contour
    Channel B- Blues/Burn toggle, Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, Reverb, Master, Contour
    Global 5 watt/25 watt toggle on Back, Two 3 way (on-foot switch-off) toggles for contour, 3 way (A-foot switch-B) toggle for channel select, Power and Standby switches. 1 power tube in pure Class A (single-ended) producing 5 Watts or switching to 2 power tubes in Class A/B to produce 25 Watts via a 5/25 Power Switch / 2xEL-84 & 5x12AX7
    5:50 - similar to above but 1 power tube in pure Class A (single-ended) producing 5 Watts or switching to 2 power tubes in Class A/B to produce 50 Watts via a 5/50 Power Switch / 2x6L6 & 5x12AX7

Randall Diavlo series 1W and 5W heads and combos

Vintage 47 amps

Vox Lil Night Train (2W)

[To be updated!]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    Gemini75 likes this.
  3. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

Very Impressive!:applause: I love little amps, but I lean towards the ones with multiple wattage capability, just from an economic standpoint. They can be useful in more than one situation. I really like the Laney TI15 just for that reason. Also, it sounds like Tony Iommi.

4. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

I have become a bit of a small amp junkie. I have had my 1978 Fender Champ since the mid-90's.

A few years back, I purchased a Vox AC4TV8, hoping that it would be a bit like a 5 watt (switchable to 1 watt and 1/10 watt) plexi. It had a speaker out jack and I could run it into my beloved Marshall 1936 2x12 with 25 watt Celestion Greenbacks.

I was initially enamored with it. However, something just wasn't right. It sounded best (to me) cranked, and on the 1/10 watt setting. It sounded best with humbucker guitars. Too bad my #1 is/was my SG Classic with P-90s.

Also, as soon as I plugged in my Marshall 2204, even at equally low volumes, it just blew the poor little Vox into bad tone oblivion. :(

I don't usually get rid of equipment. I got rid of the Vox.

I traded it straight up for a Champion 600. I have never looked back. :)

My current small tube amps: Marshall Class 5, Fender Champ, Fender Champion 600

[​IMG]

I like both Fenders a lot and I could live with either one as my only amp. The Marshall is a one trick pony for me. It sounds OK somedays and awful other days.

I like very vintage-y 60's types of tones, from Yardbirds to Cream to Hendrix. Add AC/DC and Black Sabbath to that list.

All that said and accounting for the Marshall 2204, I play my Fender Mustang I modeling amp 99% of the time. Seriously.

:thumb:

oldrockfan and Biddlin like this.
  5. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

I have a. Vox ac4tv. It can sound good. But its an all or nothing amp, so sounds loud all the time. I feel it would have been a lot better with a master vol like on the ac15c1. With the ac15 I have far more control ove the volume and tone. But for the price the ac4tv is a good start in to valve amps. Bit a little more money buys better.

6. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

P.s a tube change helped with the tones of the ac4, I put jj tubes in mine.

7. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I have a 1965 Fender Champ with a Jensen P10R
    upgrade in it. It is wonderful. Enough said.

I also have a Mesa Express 5/25 1 X 10 combo
    that I run on the 5 watt setting. The clean voice
    is an old Fender Champ. I'm not sure how they did
    that with EL-84s but it's in there nonetheless.
    The crunch voice takes you from almost clean to
    a nice bluesy grind. The blues voice starts around
    where crunch leaves off and goes well into
    Marshallesque grind and the burn voice just
    out and out sings. There is also a nicely voiced
    Accutronics reverb tank and an effects loop.

Then there is the 25 watt setting.
    Not only am I unable to figure out how Mesa
    got 25 watts out of 2 EL-84s but it is also a
    very loud and authoritative 25 watts.

All in all, a very nice amplifier.

Edit:
    Controls are
    Channel A- Clean/Crunch toggle, Gain, Bass, Moddle, Treble, Reverb, Master, Contour
    Channel B- Blues/Burn toggle, Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, Reverb, Master, Contour

2 channel select indicator lights, 2 contour on indicator lights and a 5 watt mode indicator light

Global 5 watt/25 watt toggle on Back
    Two 3 way (on-foot switch-off) toggles for contour
    3 way (A-foot switch-B) toggle for channel select
    Power and Standby switches

Speaker is 10" Mesa Black Shadow

3 button (Channel-Reverb-Contour) footswitch
    footswitch connects to amplifier with a midi cable,
    not some special custom thing, easy to replace.

Footswitch, midi cable and a very nice cover are all included.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  8. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

like the thread and +1 big small tube amp fan (pun intended). A few things I'd like to suggest you add to the info are details on what controls each amp has. For example, does the amp have: volume/tone control or gain/volume/tone control or gain/volume/bass/treble control... etc. Another thing that might be handy is telling what tube types each amp uses. Then for the combo amps, a list of the speakers used would be cool.

9. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

I have a Fender Greta, and i am still liking it after 4 months. I received it as a gift, and thank the person that gave it to me often still.

Controls: 1 volume, 1 tone.
    Inputs: 1 instrument, 1 stereo line(almost useful)
    Outs: speaker out for external cab(defeats the internal speaker) line out(does not defeat the internal speaker)
    Speaker configuration: 1 internal, 4 inch(sounds like a can of bees at first when driven at all, but mellows with use, as it breaks in)
    Power output: a very dirty 2 watts (very little true clean headroom... I like the dirt)
    Tube compliment: 1x 12at7 power tube, 1x 12ax7 preamp tube.
    Effects loop: no
    Effects on board: no
    Headphone out: no
    Other instrumentation: vu meter(spends most of its on time bouncing against the end of travel pin)

Brief personal notes:
    This amp really shines best through just about any external cab i have unleashed it upon. At first, anything but the stock speaker sounds fantastic...from a stock marshall 1960b, older mesa recto with stock vintage 30s, wgs reaper 2x12, wgs et65 1x12, to a newer orange ppc112 with 1 vintage 30...massive tones at reasonable levels. All different, but usefull in some way(to me). Once the internal speaker breaks in, it becomes a pleasant table top companion, although a bit smaller sounding, pretty sweet.
    Seems to me, it likes single coils a bit more than humbuckers. It responds well to the volume, and tone controls on my guitars(cleans up nicely).
    Have not yet explored its reaction to pedals much.
    Obligatory pic:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps out,

Don

oldrockfan likes this.
  10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I'm another one with a Fender Champion 600; it really sounds good run through a larger speaker than the stock 6", even the upgraded 6" is not as nice as an old vintage Jensen 8" I have.

I never thought my Fender SCXD would be considered too large!

11. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Duly noted. Will work on that more this weekend. I'll actually do that and deal with the facts before getting into opinions of the amp itself.

Thanks for the input so far!

12. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Epi 'Valve Junior" 5W amp

Paul Balmer has this to say about the Epi Valve Junior:

"I've personally found this Epiphone extremely useful as a practice amp and
    even used it on a few gigs (via the P.A.)."

Myself, I don't have one but specs look like:

Sovtek 12AX7 and EL84 (one each)

Speaker: Emminence 8" 5W 4Ohm

Controls: Input jack and volume only.

Output: 4Ohm speaker jack, so alt cab is possible.

This seems like an interesting development, the small tube amp. And given how easy it is to mike one, and the advances in microphones for this purpose it seems like a viable option.

13. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

I have more info to fill out my 2nd post but I can't seem to edit it. Is editing time limited? I have the controls, tubes and speaker info for all the amps on the list now. I'd also like to edit it at a future date so I can add comments, although that may have to be in a new post as I might run out of space. But then I would edit my original post so I can direct casual readers to the posts with collected info in.

14. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

great thread and really gives some good data. Re those valve junior epiphones... I've tried them and liked them pretty well stock but the thing I think that is most appealing aobut them is the fact there is a huge wealth of mods out there for that particular amp. YOu can basically take it any direction you want from creamy smooth or fairly heavy high gain tone. I don't currently own one but think budget wise, they are a great choice for people who like to mod their amps.

15. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Seeing as I can't edit my older posts I will have to update like this. This is the completed list from my 2nd post:

COMMENTS:

Truly tiny - 5W or less:

Blackheart Killer Ant (1W)
    Control: Volume. Preamp Tubes: 2 x 12AX7. Out of production - some stores still selling them as of time of post.

Blackheart Little Giant (5W)
    Controls: Volume with 3 Band EQ. Preamp Tubes: 1 x 12AX7, Power Tubes: 1 x EL84. Out of production - some stores still selling them as of time of post.

HT1 - Controls: Volume, tone (Blackstar ISF EQ), Gain, clean/dirty channel switch, some models have reverb. Tubes 1xECC83 and 1xECC82. Combo comes with an 8" speaker.
    HT5 - Controls: Clean channel: Volume, tone. Overdrive channel: Volume, Gain. clean/overdrive channel switch. Bass, middle, treble, Blackstar ISF EQ, some models have reverb. Tubes 1xECC83 and 1x12BH7 valves. Combo has 12" Blackbird 50 custom designed speaker.

Bogner Panama (4W/2W)
    Controls: Volume, Tone/gain (4 position), 2 position mode switch, 3 position standby switch for 2W and 4W operation. Tubes: JJ ECC83s 1st and 2nd gain stage. 1x10 combo Custom Eminence 8 ohm, 1x12 combo Celestion G12H 8 ohm.

Controls: 1x gain control, 1x tone control, 1x volume control, Digital reverb, 2 way power attenuator (1W or 0.1W). Tubes: 1x 12AX7 and 1x EL84 valves.

Controls: Master, Tube mix, Watts (1-20W), treble, middle, bass, gain, bright/tight switch. Tubes: 3 x 12AX7 Sovteks in the preamp, 2 x 6V6 and 2 x EL84 JJ power tubes. 1W is very loud, can also look at the Tweaker 15W at lower volumes.

Controls: Input gain, lead drive, bass, middle, treble, lead volume, mid boost, clean lead, master volume. Tubes: ECC83S preamp valve and 2x EL84 power amp valves.

Epiphone Valve Junior (5W)
    Controls: Volume. Combo has 8 in. Eminence Speaker. Tube: 1 x 12AX7A Preamp Valve, 1 x EL84 Power Valve.

Fender Greta (2W)
    Controls: 1 volume, 1 tone. Tube compliment: 1x 12at7 power tube, 1x 12ax7 preamp tube. Speaker configuration: 1 internal, 4 inch.
    Dirty little beast, very little true clean headroom. Speakers need breaking in. Looks sweet!

Hayden Lil Mofo 2 (2W)
    Controls: Gain, bass, middle, treble, master, mix (I believe the latter is for use with the aux in). Pre-amp tube 1 x ECC83 valve. Combo comes with integral Celestion Super8 8" speaker.

Tubemeister 5 - Controls: Treble, mid, bass, drive switch, master, gain. Tubes: 1x 12AX7 and 1x 12BH7 tubes
    Tubemesiter 18 - Controls: Treble, mid, bass, Lead channel master and gain, Clean channel master and gain, Lead boost, channel select. Tubes: 2x 12 AX7 preamp valves, 2x EL84 poweramp valves.

Controls: Volume, tone. Tubes: Preamp 1 x ECC83, Output 1 x 6V6GT. Combo comes with 8" speaker.

Controls: Pre-boost, volume, drive, bass, middle, treble, dynamics and tone. Tubes: Preamp vales 3 x ECC83, output valves 2 x EL84. Speaker: 12" Custom HH driver.

Marshall Slash SL-5 (5W switchable to 1W)
    Controls: Clean channel volume, channel select, overdrive channel gain and volume, treble, middle, bass, reverb, presence. Tubes: 3 x ECC83 preamp valves and 1 EL34. Speaker: Celestion Vintage 30 12" Speaker.

Marshall Class 5 (5W )
    Controls: Volume, treble, middle, bass. Tubes: 2 x EcC83, 1 X EL84. Combo has 1 x 10" Celestion G10F-15.

Marshall 50th Anniversary (1W)
    There are 4 of these to pay tribute to sounds of Marshall amps from 4 decades - the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. Each have their own configuration of controls and tubes.

Controls: Channel 1 - Volume, treble, bass, cut/master, top boost. Channel 2 - tweed/hi 1/hi 2 switch, gain, treble, bass, master. Both channels have a multiwatt swtich 5/15/25W. Tubes: 2 x EL84 & 4 x 12AX7

5:25 - Channel A- Clean/Crunch toggle, Gain, Bass, Moddle, Treble, Reverb, Master, Contour
    Global 5 watt/25 watt toggle on Back, Two 3 way (on-foot switch-off) toggles for contour, 3 way (A-foot switch-B) toggle for channel select, Power and Standby switches. 1 power tube in pure Class A (single-ended) producing 5 Watts or switching to 2 power tubes in Class A/B to produce 25 Watts via a 5/25 Power Switch / 2xEL-84 & 5x12AX7
    5:50 - similar to above but 1 power tube in pure Class A (single-ended) producing 5 Watts or switching to 2 power tubes in Class A/B to produce 50 Watts via a 5/50 Power Switch / 2x6L6 & 5x12AX7

Randall Diavlo series 1W and 5W heads and combos
    1W - Controls: Gain, tone, volume, 3-way ToneStackShift (for midrange contour). Tubes: 1 x 12AX7 1x 12AU7. Combo has 8" RS8-35-8 speaker.
    5W - Controls: Gain, tone, volume, 3-way ToneStackShift (for midrange contour). Tubes: 1 x 12AX7 1 x6V6. Combo has 10" RS10-30-8 speaker.

Controls: Gain, volume, tone, 3-way boost and bass switches. Can also be used as a stomp box and has a bypass switch for this and a separate volume knob. The Rock Block comes standard with a ECC83/12AX7 and a ECC82/12AU7 vacuum tube.

Vintage 47 amps
    Supro Spectator, Oahu Suitcase and Supro Comet 10 are the 5W ones. The information from the site where they are sold is a bit patchy. Both Supros come with 10" speakers, the Suitcase has an 8" speaker.

Vox Lil Night Train (2W)
    Controls: Gain, treble, bass, volume, bright/thick switch (thick bypasses the tone circuitry). Tubes: 2 x12AX7 preamp vacuum tubes; 1 x 12AU7 power tube.

Controls: Tone, volume, power level. Tubes: 1 x 12AX7 (pre) / 1 x EL84 (power). Combo comes with 1 x 10" 16-Ohm Celestion VX10 custom speaker.

Controls: Bright switch, volume, thickness, mellow control. Not actually sure which tubes are in there.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    oldrockfan likes this.
  16. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Nice list alot Of themi have thought about buying.
    Some of my thoughts. Blackheart is out Of production.
    and The rebel 20 1w setting is Louder than most 10 w.
    the tweaker 15 w is a far better bedroom friendly amp than
    the rebel.
    frankd

17. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Damn Heket. You really went to town on this one. You have quite a bit of information put together all on one page! Which is great for easy comparison of specs. That in itself is hard to find anywhere so a big tip of the hat on all that work you did putting this all together. You don't do anything half way do ya?

Well hopefully after all this you finally end up with something that works for ya and boy wouldn't it be wonderful if yall got it right and are happy happy happy with your very next forthcoming small amp purchase.

Best of luck with your quest. I will be watching with interest from the sidelines because I know very little about small tube amps right now. So I will be watching and learning and maybe even getting one for myself to crank in the living room at night. Rock On!

18. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Well if I ever need another small amp I know where to start looking...this list! Nice work.

19. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Frank, that's a real shame that the Blackhearts are going out of production. Although I can't get hold of them myself, they look like a great selection of small amps and they look very cool too. Someone on here bought the Little Ant not that long ago. I've noted that and made a note on the Egnater too.

Barry, I've decided which ones I'm going to try first - the Lil Night Train and the Lil Mofo. I like Lil things! They both have their downsides - the Night Train will need a pedal to get the gain I want and the Lil Mofo seems to have only one tube, the pre-amp tube. I'm not actually sure how that works, if it uses the same tube for pre and post :confused: I did just read this though: "Hayden Amps provide timeless elegant products which are handmade in Essex UK"! Then I have to get one, haha.

As I can't edit older posts I'll post more comments about amps further in the thread, so if you're here from the future looking for more info, check all of my posts in this thread! I hope to add a section of comments about each amp but that'll take a lot longer to put together.

20. 61SG

61SG Active Member

You know, the Marshall C5 is a nice little amp but there are some very small changes that will truly transform it into a great little amp.

Marshall Heads Forum • View topic - Class 5 mods

Try those mods out. You won't regret it and they're 100% reversible. :thumb:

oldrockfan and mdubya like this.