Tiny new tube amp info thread! (WIP)

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Heket, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

The Lil Night Train sounds great!

2. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Heket
    Let me 02 the low W amp for you I spent a good year going over them.
    while I played thru my solid state fender frontman 212 r.
    for the money the egnater tweaker is what I went with
    and Im still very happy with and play it everyday as my go to amp.
    why the name is the game tweaker it is just that you can get many many
    different tones this amp has fender AC and Brit settings .
    but heres imo the kickers the vintage and modern modes the hot &
    normal switch and it does have a effects loop too.and if you want
    really nasty od just add a tube screamer or distortion pedal and BAM !
    but I must also say the matching 112cab which are made with real wood
    and have the celestion GH12 30's the speakers break up very nice
    and I want more another 112 or maybe a new 212 cab.
    heres a example.
    thanks and happy Tone hunting
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nK5Ry0_yE8"]Egnater Tweaker 15 watt and 112 cab demo, at bedroom volumes - YouTube[/ame]
    strat lead track
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAddMaEc_yY[/ame]

3. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

There is a great mods thread for the C5 on MLP, also. I just don't have the time to mess with it at the moment. The Fenders with pedals and the Mustang give me the vintage-y tones I crave. The Mustang alone has so many usable tones... I just play and play and play. It even sounds great with my old Maestro Fuzz on certain models.

My 50 watt 2204 sounds infinitely better and more versatile at any volume over the C5. One of these days the C5 will get the mods. Then we shall see. :)

4. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

Tweaker 15 is an incredible little amp Heket, I have owned one for a few years but I will be honest with you it is to loud for bedroom use in my opinion, I have changed out all the valves, picked up some NOS Military grade 6L6's from Bulgaria & transformed the amp, I love the blue Aura inside these tubes I can't say enough about them in the Tweaker.
    But to get that awesome tone from a Tweaker you need the master at around 1 o'clock to get that incredible tone they have & it is way to loud for the bedroom.........
    All my pedals work well with this amp & a overdrive or distortion pedal will give great tones at lower volumes..........
    Definately one of my favourites even if you did not get on with my Blackstar reco Heket I think you should give a Tweaker a fang!!!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  5. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Heket,

I checked out that Lil MoFo unit you're looking at. It has the old style push pull by use of a 12AU7 as the power tube. Being a twin triode tube, it does double duty as both the output driver and power tube combined. A 12AU7 is like two tubes that function in one glass container with a shared heater. There's a 12AX7 in the preamp to give you the gain in that circuit. This is not that uncommon from the old days using an 12AU7 as such and works quite well if one does not wish a lot of wattage, which is the idea here I do believe. I has a multi diode rectifer and is said to be hand wired. With that, you can almost rest assurred that it will be built of minimal components. This is good in that the less to break down and then trace if it does.

Hayden is an offshoot from the old Ashdown amps. They were famous for straight forward amps with few frills and toys other than power meters in the face for some showy effect.

Hope this helps. I have not seen this amp, not are any schmatics available for me to study to give you a better idea as to how well it's design is. But the old push pull system with this tube has been around for decades. Almost as long as me! ;)

Wade

mdubya likes this.
  6. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

great thread and will say again that I love the small tube amps! with modern PA setups... there is no reason to really use a big amp these days other than the fact large amps used to be the best sounding tube amps. Now that they are cranking out so many cool small tube amps... maybe we will start seeing more and more of them at gigs.

frankd likes this.
  7. EricCrapton

EricCrapton New Member

The Lil Night Train is a really good bit of kit. I've got one in my flat so as not to deafen the poor sod that lives below me. It's quite versatile and you can get some real nice tones out of it. Looks pretty damn cool too, like the worlds smallest, shiniest, sexiest toaster.

8. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Dream I have a marshal Haze 15 watt with a od ch and i still
    get some way better bedroom level nasty funk Outta my tweaker !
    Bro have you tried different 6v6 I changed out my rubys and that did it!
    or el 34???? with 6L6 you got way more headroom IMO than 6v6
    IMO the tweaker Is the most Versatile and affordable real deal small
    tube i have ever ran across In fact I almost bought a second last night
    on ebay but it was snatched out from under me had new pre amp and el
    34's in it 180 bucks BAM damn!!!

9. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

I bet the Tweaker is a kickin' little amp, but for me personally anything that goes as high as 15W would be a waste. I like to get my volume knob above 1 sometimes :D

Wade, thank you very much for investigating that for me! It puts my mind at rest that the little Hayden is truly all-tube and doesn't miss out on any tone. I didn't realise that Hayden was so localised and hard to get in the USA, but they were at NAMM in January so maybe they're looking to break into the US market. I'd recommend them to anyone simply because they're made just 10 miles down the road from me (yes, the heads and some cabs are made in UK, not imports).

But lately I believe the universe is trying to tell me to get a Lil Night Train. :hmm:

Ericcrapton, could you perhaps indulge a bit more info about the Lil Night Train? Does it take pedals well? How does it fare without having a 'middle' on the EQ? Is it as extremely bright as some videos I've seen of it implies? If you push it with a pedal can it make decent high-gain tones?

10. EricCrapton

EricCrapton New Member

It definately has it's limits, but I wouldn't describe it as extremely bright. If you play it clean it's quite bright and jangly, but if you switch to the 'Thick' setting and whack the gain up then you can make her snarl. The only pedals I run are a big muff and a crybaby, and it handles those well enough. You can get some nice vintage tones out of her, but if you try to push the gain too much then it does get a little muddy.

11. 11ztwelve

11ztwelve Active Member

I'll refresh this one. I've tried a few small amps and was quite impressed. The Orange Micro Terror through my 4ohm EVM12 Mesa Thiele cab was FREAKING loud. 4 ohm output amp into 4ohm cab so a one to one drive there and it screamed! Also tried a Bugera V5 that was also a pleasant surprise but the .1 watt setting was kinda bland. Amp sounded fine though overall. Now, the one constant I do have until I find an amp and I just love it is my BlackStar Drive pedal. Of course, its not an amp but it IS the front end of one, running at 300V into a TAD ECC83/12AX7. I kid you not---you can run this thing into any solid state amp you want and it sounds mighty dang good! Basically a hybrid amp at that point. As a plus, I also use it as a tube-pre for my acoustic which really warms it up and almost eliminates piezo quack. A quality piece of equipment all the way!

12. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

frankd I have tried JJ's 6V6's in the Tweaker & they did bring the amp to life but the 6L6's transformed it yet again I love those tubes.................. I picked the NOS Russian Military grade tubes up from Bulgaria for a great price $12.99 for the set plus $8.00 postage, in fact I just brought a second set & they come with a test sheet :dude:

13. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

good price and when love is in the air its all good!!!!!!!!!

14. unklcrispy

unklcrispy Member

great post.

Thanks Heket and others.

15. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Thanks for elaborating. I'll find out myself next week as I have a Lil Night Train winging it's way towards me now! I went with my gut feeling on this one. You know when you think that, despite some misgivings, if you don't try it you'll be left wondering forever? I have 2 other Vox products which I enjoy immensely so I hope this one is another winner for me.

Thanks for the additional info there. Interesting to hear some firsthand experience of the Blackstar Valve pedals, I've looked at those on and off and have been curious, plus they look killer. They come in a nice variety of flavours so I might give one a go one day.

You're welcome! If you ever need a tiny tube amp you know where to look first.

16. AK-78

AK-78 Member

If you have ever wanted to build a tube amp, a tiny tube amp is a great place to start. I've built the AX84 P1 design. It has 5 watts with TMB, MV, and various upgrades including adjustable bias, and the ability to use either EL34, or 6V6. I added an additional socket for the 6P1P power tube as well. Another possibility for the interested builder would be the thrifty croaker amp found on the Wattkins tone per buck club forum. My next tiny tube amp will be more basic, and based on the thrifty croaker power amp, and the Supro Spectator preamp.

17. 11ztwelve

11ztwelve Active Member

If I'm correct, only the Drive and Boost pedals are all "tube" circuit path, although I'm not really sure what that means. As I understand it, the Dist and DistX pedal circuitry is a cross between that and a distortion pedal. I'm seriously considering just going with a quality solid state amp as I'm not really a "distortion" type although the Drive pedal will get plenty nasty, if you'd like. Anywhere from 11 o'clock to as little as 8 or so, it will give a nice, rich, crunch depending on pickups. Good performing pedal.

18. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

The Epi valve junior is a great little amp and offers great tone and a multitude of modifying options.

My only really gripe with it and the reason that I sold mine is because it was just too load for home use to get the tone out of it you can only get at high volumes.

Great little amp though for rehearsal rooms and small gigs. :)

19. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Here's another little 5W amp, something a bit special here as it's a hand-wired amp made in the USA for a very reasonable price of $700.

Baron Custom Amps - Snott Watt

Controls: 2 channels, modern and vintage, each have a gain knob and bright switch, the modern also has a dry/wet switch. There's treble, mids, bass, volume and a brutal/brown switch. Tubes: 3-12AX7A preamp tubes and 1 12BH7 push/Pull power tube.

Heh, the more I read this the more I want one. Thanks to Noah76 for the tip!

20. colchar

colchar Member

The Traynor Dark Horse is a 15 watt amp that is switchable down to 7.5 watts which are still in production and are therefore readily available.