Tiny new tube amp info thread! (WIP)

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Heket, Mar 29, 2013.

1. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

2. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

3. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

That's good to hear as it seemed pretty interesting to me, plus it's got a cool name. It conjures up an image of the Horsehead Nebula for me, which as an astronomy nut, can only be a good thing! I only found one stockist on a quick Google search, which is why I wondered about availability. Perhpas it's more readily available in the US.

Amps amps amps! I actually forgot about the Ibanez ones completely. The others I didn't know. I'll look into them more when I have a bit more time :)

Thanks for the info!

4. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

i've found this interesting video on YT. The problem is that it's in italian, but the dude doesn't actually go past describing the main features of each amp. kinda love the neon dr strings he put on his strat! :dude:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_bUYevoSM]Supertest ampli 5W valvolari - Alex Massari - YouTube[/ame]

5. colchar

colchar Member

I have no idea about availability in the U.S. I am in Canada and they are made here (Traynor is a division of our largest gear retailer) so they are readily available.

6. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Traynors are available in the USA; I wish I still had my 70's bass head.

You can see it in this old pic:

[​IMG]

7. bgood

bgood New Member

1/2 or 2 watts depending on the tube

Gilmore Junior. Built mine a few years ago, really great amp. I am running mine into a 1x10 avatar cube and it sounds great. I've also recently bought a Badcat Unleash so I can gig this setup.

8. 3 Headed Moses

3 Headed Moses Member

I love my Blackheart Killer Ant. I think it actually sounds better in the studio than my JCM 900!

9. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Dave! That was a cool head bro. Tell me how awesome that baby sounded when you hit around 12-1 o'clock on the volume. Didnt it just come to life or what? Do you remember if it was the el34 powertubes? They stayed a little tighter than the 6v6 models which My buddy's ran but still hit that magic spot on the volume knob where things just take off into another realm. Those 6v6 tubes got so saturated, full & fat that it felt naughty enjoying myself like that because most things that feel that frikin awesome are simply illegal & outlawed under the 'too much fun' catch all clause hidden in most countries law books. ha ha ha! Rock n Roll! Still legal in most countries.

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I recall the Traynor as a great bass amp, clean and rich sounding, but it was not such a great guitar rig, it was not voiced for guitar. In the picture it was powering the monitors, which we cadged together.

it was a heavy beast, too.

11. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

I thought I would resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one.

My vox ac4tv has been like an ornament for over a year now and just usedy ac15. So tonight I went to play in kitchen and thought I would play through the ac4, so I have come to the conclusion that this little thing is ok. On the amp side that is, im beginning to think that the prob with this little vox isn't the amp itself or maybe even the speaker. But the size cab it comes in, I think is killing the tone of this thing. It sounds so muffled n closed in compared to the ac15. It would be nice to hear it through 112 or 212 cab just to see if it unlocks this little thing. I also wonder how the size of this amp compared to the size of the original ac4 because I'm betting it was twice the size. But having never seen one I wouldn't know

12. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

I Dont Have a ac 4 But I do have LIL Nighttrain and I wasnt real impressed
    Till I ran it thru the 4x12 and wow its cool. Its not to bad thru my new 2x12
    either..
    frankd

13. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

It dose make you wonder if the make the cab to small for some of these little amps. I'm looking at my ac4 now and the 10" speaker takes up most of the front and not a lot of room inside ether. You would think the speaker needs room to breath and move the air around it without sounding boxy.

14. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Here's a vintage 60's era Vox AC4. There is plenty of room around that Elac 10 inch speaker from back in the day.

[​IMG]

Most people, myself included, don't think to give speaker type, design & cabinet configuration as much consideration as they should get when analyzing an amps tone and potential. Yes I am guilty. A change of speaker and or speaker cabinet can absolutely bring an amp to life, just like the wrong one can suck the life & tone out of an amp!

A design like this one above really let this little amp breath and even let the user believe he could use it to play in a band. Well, a band from the 60's were everybody else had the same little amp! OK, the bassist gets a little bigger one, but the singer don't! Hey, how many kids had to start that way? When I was young and inspired just playing was always enough back then even though our starter amps were cheap ass garbage. I was lucky enough to be able to use a real 60's AC 30 way back then when my much older buddy went into the service and left it for me to use. The same buddy who sold me his Airline fiber-resin 'Jetson' guitar. What a buddy he was! He really got me rockin and was always inspiring to keep reaching, practicing and going for it. God rest his soul he never made it back from a heli crash that happened only a couple months short of being discharged. Damn huh? Life. Ya just never know so, Enjoy it while we got it.

Maybe a new speaker or cab will help with enjoying that amp bro.

15. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

Thanks for the pic. That is very much different to the modern one. I mite in time make a 212 cab that I can use with ether amp.
    I mite even try taking the back off as a experiment.

16. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

That was going to be my question here. I'm not familiar with the amp we're talking about here, but knowing the propensity of how Vox loves closed cabs, I was wondering it this one has an enclosed cab? If so, then pulling the back will really open it up. Best case would be to construct a partial rear baffle to fit the back that covers most of the bottom and leaves an opening near the top. Did this with some closed cab amps in the past with fairly good success. Keeps enough back to aid in projection yet allows air to move well in a semi-restricted manner as well. A decent trade off in getting the most of a confined cab.

Sootio likes this.
  17. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

One trick I've seen people use for small cabs to get better sound is to stuff foam in the cabinet. It sometimes gives a little better bass response. Course the best solution is to use a separate cab with a 1x12" speaker. I've seen some really good deals on 1x12" cabs at pawn shops or craigs list. I picked up a really nice little cab on craigs list a couple years for a whopping $50!

18. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

The Lil Night Train comes with a 10" speaker but housed in an absolutely tiny cabinet. My 8" hybrid combo is larger. The 12" one of the same type isn't much better, the speaker is bigger but there's barely any space around it. I a couple of bits to improve the sound - I lined the inside with felt and filled it with polyfiller, the fluff you get in stuffed toys. It helped a bit. I'm keeping the cab for now as it's the only one I have and it's nice and compact, but I'll get a bigger one when I have more cash saved up.

19. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

Helet have you tryed your cab with the back of yet? It dose seem some company's have compromised sound over compactness. But I do understand that they are ment for bedrooms and where space is a prime concern.

Heket likes this.
  20. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Err no, I didn't even know I could do that. Better get me screwdriver. Thanks!