TMI...omg. Trying to choose a tube amp....

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Lisa D., Aug 19, 2018.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I've said it before, but the best thing really is to get into some music shops and play every amp that interests you. Take your favourite guitar with you so you know how they will sound together. Recommendations and online videos can help you narrow it down, but you and your ears are the best judge of what sounds right.

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Sounds like this.

3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

I've got a few observations. I'm on a quest for a grab-n-go, when its impractical to tote a Twin, or a Twin is too loud (about all the time). So I've been frequenting the stores and trying out anything under 40W. Lots of great options. The standard Super Champ is pretty awesome. The clean channel has the tube immediate impact, Fender sparkle, and the drive channel is very convincing, maybe missing a little of the tube punch since it has a SS front end. And a lot of flexibility on the drive channel too. The best thing? They sound fabulous at all volumes. The FSR Super Champ looks extra juicy. There are other makers of these mid sized, tamable amps too as mentioned. These modern mid-watt tube amp wonders are fantastic, if you've been stuck with equipment from a decade+ ago.

4. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

On the grab and go category I highly recommend checking out boss katana air. Small very small total tonal control with emulation of just about anything possible. 20 watts on battery 30 on power.

Its phenomenal a bit pricey at 400 bucks. You won't find many in stores at this point I don't think seems like they are having trouble keeping up with demand.

Lots of reviews on there on youtube ...

5. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

As an owner of a Marshall DSL40C, I can safely say that you won't be disappointed. Best amp I've ever owned. The only thing is that the 40-watter is the one you really want, and you might want to see one in person to make sure the weight isn't too much. I'm a relatively skinny guy and can pretty easily lug mine around with one hand - it's just over 50 pounds, but it's not so bulky that it's hard to move around. I carry mine back and forth to church every week.

Other suggestions or amps to research:

[​IMG]
    VHT Special 6 Ultra
    Pros: Inexpensive (~400 dollars), relatively lightweight, a surprising number of tone-shaping options, handwired (!) components, built-in attenuator, tube-driven effects loop, great speaker, fantastic bluesy and classic rock crunch.
    Cons: No reverb, no channel switching between normal and "Ultra" inputs, not enough clean volume to hang with a band.

[​IMG]
    Fender Bassbreaker 007
    Pros: Inexpensive (~450 dollars), phenomenal classic rock crunch, lightweight and compact, built-in treble booster great for leads, gain and EQ suitable for a variety of styles.
    Cons: No reverb, no effects loop, not enough clean volume to hang with a band.

[​IMG]
    Vox AC10C1
    Pros: Inexpensive (~450 dollars), very lightweight and compact, built-in reverb, can absolutely hang with a band, medium-crunch sounds are to die for (personally, I like the 10 better than the 15-watt or 30-watt versions). Sweetwater has an "AC10C1V" that has an upgraded V-type speaker for only 50 bucks more.
    Cons: no effects loop, single channel, not particularly versatile - does the Vox sound very well and not much else.

[​IMG]
    Fender Super-Sonic 22
    Pros: Basically a two-channel Deluxe Reverb with some additional Bassman guts that can also do high gain tones, the two gain knobs on the "burn" channel can dial in whatever flavor of rock (or even metal) that you like. Very versatile, totally giggable. Pro quality.
    Cons: Not at all cheap (~1050 dollars).

[​IMG]
    Blackstar HT Club 40 Mk. II
    Pros: Reasonably priced for what you're getting (~730 dollars), extremely versatile, some solid-state preamp circuitry and ISF knob can basically get you whatever sound you want, built in attenuator down to 4-watts for home practice, extremely feature-rich.
    Cons: Still not cheap, kinda heavy, purists may turn their noses up because it's not a "real tube amp" (it's a real tube amp).

So if you get the chance, check some of those out as well. :)

6. Musekatcher

Same advice from friends. The Supersonic 22 is on the top of my list, but I can't bring myself to spend that much..yet. I'm waffling on a Super Champ at 40% the cost, or a used Bugera V22 at 25% of the cost, or ....a lot of options like I said! If I can convince myself to trade my Twin, I could swing the SuperSonic. But we've been thru a lot together, and "breaking up" is hard to do. ;)

Lisa D. likes this.
  7. Lisa D.

Lisa D. New Member

And the latest is....My friend/instructor said the Blackstar would be a terrible choice...unless I'm aspiring to be in Cannibal Corpse....LOL! Anyway, I got the Vox AC15C1MB. If it doesn't work out, or isn't versitle enough in the future, then I guess I will just have to buy something else. So.... get ready to roll your eyes, but I like the cabinet too. I wish I could have gotten the blonde one, but this is okay. I have the white-ish colored Marshall AS50D for my acoustic, so that would have been nice.
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox/Limited-Edition-AC15C1MB-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc

Clifdawg likes this.
  8. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that! Plug into the top boost channel and rip! :D Happy new amp day!

9. Musekatcher

HNAD - AC15 is on my short list too. The limited edition cab looks boutique, and I do like greenbacks. I did notice the weight on these, ~50 lb which is my NTE (not to exceed).

10. Lisa D.

Lisa D. New Member

The weight concerned me, but I don't figure I'll be moving it too much anyway. I relocated a few years back and I don't really have too many acquaintences where I live now...I'm not going to be in any groups anytime soon. On top of that, anytime I've been in a group (as a singer, not guitar player), the men have always done the heavy lifting and I rolled cables and stowed mikes, stands and the lighter stuff like that. I have a 'list' of things I'd love to have that includes guitars, amps, effects, etc...Once the kiddo finishes college and/or launches, I'll turn that extra room into my music cave and then IT'S ON!

You know, I'm considering getting the Super Champ too. I'm thinking I'll enjoy my Godin a lot more with it. I'm wanting to purchase a Fender guitar too, and I know this isn't the forum for that, but I haven't decided if a Stat or a Tele is the one for me. An American Strat sure is tempting though.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  11. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Active Member

I definitely agree that tube's are the way to go! As you can see there are a lot of options!
    As for me I started out with solid state but that wasn't getting it for me. I do have a couple of tube heads now, great for gigs but for home practice, not so much.
    What I use at home is a Joyo Bantamp 20W Hybrid running into a 2x12 @ 8 Ohms.
    This amp is loud enough to use for band practice (if your drummer doesn't hit too hard) and could also be used to gig on a small stage with the amp mic'd.

It's quiet enough to use at home and also has a headphone jack if you need it.
    Anyway, just muddying the waters a bit more :D

Lisa D. likes this.
  12. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

So one conclusion is everyone's favorite amp is probably either one of the amps they have currently or one of the amps they don't have anymore ... or the one they are wanting to buy next.

I don't know how much more definitive one can get than that.

I really really need at least 100 watts but staying married is apparently in conflict with that plan.

Like this one ... ( edited sorry not trying to push guitar center on anyone ).

So a JVM410H 100 watt head and twin half stacks. Don't click on URL if you value your sanity and/or don't care for gc site etc.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall/JVM410H-1960AV-and-1960BV-Tube-Guitar-Full-Stack.gc

I have no idea why my wife does not think this is a great idea.

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  13. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Active Member

Why stop there?

marshall_stack.jpg

GrumpyOldDBA and Logan like this.
  14. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Meet her halfway. Two words: Marshall Origin. Beautiful sounding and looking amps. I'm selling my Pro Junior to fund one.
    [​IMG]
    Edit: I have tried one, and they do the Plexi Zep/ACDC sound PHENOMENALLY, alongside the bassman cleans. Quite a great amp for the price.

15. plankton

It's okay, many of us like Fender style guitars too. There's nothing else quite like the sound of a Strat's neck pickup.

16. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

What if that pup is in a Tele ? You'd get best of both worlds. I'm tempted to try it.

17. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Mark V25.

18. plankton

I must admit that I've never really messed around with Tele's before, but I'm curious.

I have heard that many people love the bridge pickup on Tele's but not many care for the neck pickup. So it would make good sense to try a Strat single coil there. Best of both worlds as you said.