To choose to do good.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I could write today about the lousy healthcare system, abysmal infrastructure, lack of personal and corporate accountability in society, the near extinction of erudition or insane inflation in grocery prices. All real and imminent dangers.
    My pharmacist is a saint. She is never too busy to great me with a smile and "Hello, how are you today?" When the frantic mom at the counter is screaming about how long she's been waiting for her baby's prescription she is invariably consoling and calm, never reproachful. Even with the worst loud and rude customer, she chooses to be calm and positive.
    My physical therapist is one of the few GenXers who calls me by my first name without being condescending. His genuine affection and care for his patients shows through his focused eyes and happy smile whether we talk about guitars, my sciatica or our early lives on islands.
    Linn at my neighborhood grocery store is the employee customer service managers dream of.
    She is always sharply groomed, her uniform is pressed and her demeanor like a doting mother. She remembers customer's names and who's related to them. She makes sure to have someone take my cart to the car and unload it for me without my asking.
    I mention this because sometimes when someone is having a crappy day a simple and genuine "Hey Jack, glad to see you." from a casual acquaintance can lift your spirits more than you might imagine and we all have the capital needed at the tips of our tongues.

Steve D, Voxman, Kerry Brown and 6 others like this.
  2. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

Very, very true

Hope you are keeping well!

Biddlin likes this.
  3. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Never underestimate the power of a smile.

4. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

My SG's truss rod cover was blank and I craved one with 'SG' printed on it. There was a member here who simply gave me one. No charge...simply did it because he was a fine, good person. I often think about him and his good deed. Heck, whenever I play my SG I see the 'SG' trc and think of the act of kindness that stranger did.

Receiving a kind word or kind deed from an acquaintance or family member is nice, but almost expected. But to receive kindness from an absolute stranger...man, that's noble.

[​IMG]

Rain, deMelo and arcticsg like this.
  5. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

There are some good folks that are members on this website!

:smile:

6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

Happiness is most often a decision. Funny thing is, deciding ourselves to be happy so often has the effect of making those around us happy as well.

arcticsg and Biddlin like this.
  7. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Going to be hard to top that guy.

I've already decided that when I pass on from this world and go off to the Big Madison Square Garden in the sky, I just might leave one of my guitars to somebody at a music forum. I have 17 guitars/basses, just how many can I leave behind to family and friends? All 17? Nah. Wouldn't it be cool to leave a nice guitar to somebody on a guitar forum who talks of getting a new guitar but can't pull it off due to funds?

GrumpyOldDBA likes this.
  8. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I made up my mind decades ago never to be grumpy or moody around others. What the heck did they do to me that they should suffer my bad disposition? If nothing, then they shouldn't have to suffer my ill mood. No, I always am upbeat and smiling no matter what is going on in life. Funny thing is that most people don't even notice. They are into their own bad mood and don't appreciate an upbeat person around them

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  9. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I have lived for many years by the motto: "There is no excuse not to be polite." This does not mean you have to take crap from people. You just have to be polite in the way you tell them to F Off. I hardly ever tell people to F Off though. My other motto is: "Turn the other cheek." It is amazing how much stress you take out of your life with those two simple rules.

10. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Turning the other cheek makes one feel weak. "Turning the other cheek" is really just a polite way of saying "let somebody walk all over you." One always should confront a wrong or a slight. Sometimes I didn't and I felt weak and shame. I just seem to feel better when I am confrontational. When I do get in someone's face. There were incidents where I turned the other cheek years ago, decades ago, and I am still bothered by them. Not once have I ever lost sleep over going at it with somebody.

11. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

Actually it makes me feel stronger. I have the strength to walk away and not let my emotions get the best of me. Confrontation almost never works out positively for either side. Both sides walk away stressed and rarely is anything solved. I don't think we'll come to agreement on this so I'm going to turn the other cheek and walk away :)

12. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I'll tell you one thing that I do turn the other cheek and walk away from....political discussion.

I LOVED taking politics with others...mostly with people who have different political views than mine. However, in recent years I see a big change in political discussion and I simply live by a new rule: turn the other cheek, walk away, don't respond back when another says something politically that I do not agree with.

I still talk politics, but only with people whom I have had a lifetime discussing politics with. Anybody new....I just turn the other cheek.

Kerry Brown likes this.
  13. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Yes. Very good members, and actually this thing about good guys getting banned or being pushed away from good forums really pisses me off.

I have some good friends I've made on internet forums. One of them, who happens to be a member here who doesn't post anymore, did something alike. I was willing to use a Proco RAT, and casually mentioned that this pedal isn't too often found here in Brazil, besides being quite expensive.

This fellow not only sent me his own, but also included a clone with a slightly diferente tone in the box. All the way from Texas to Brazil. I tried to make him accept the Money for it plus shipping, and he said he'd be offended if I insisted. A true friend, though we have never met in person.

Sometimes these people just don't accept or like certain things about a particular fórum and the admins kick them out either by showing no comprehension or just by banning them. Sad and bad.

Gahr likes this.
  14. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I was listening to a radio program on Friday that featured the actor David Tenant (Doctor Who and lots of other roles) picking his favorite Beatles tunes and just chatting about life with the host. He relayed a story that feels relevant here but from the other direction.

Tenant said that an actress with whom he is acquainted years earlier had been in a shop with her daughter and there was someone famous there that the daughter loved. She went over to get an autograph and quickly returned looking horrified and begged to leave RIGHT NOW. Years later at a Hollywood party the actress and that famous person were at a party and the fellow said "Do you have a daughter? I think I met her in a shop once and I was really awful to her. I'd had a really terrible day and I don't think I did a good job explaining that to her before she ran off and I've felt bad about it ever since." They went and called the daughter and all was forgiven. She assumed he was a pure monster. And he hated himself for acting like one for a moment. Everyone lost in that interaction and it was only dumb luck that it was resolved.

The takeaway is that in that moment the guy was a horrible person because he's human and sometimes his emotions will get the better of him. But to dwell on it for years, to remember it at all, not to mention bring the embarrassing moment up so he could apologize shows that it was truly an aberration. When someone is short with you, since you don't know why you can either tell yourself it's because they are a jerk or tell yourself that maybe they are dealing with something very heavy and you caught them at the wrong time. You never know which one is right so why not choose to give them the benefit of the doubt and burn away your own anger at the situation at the same time? Like when someone cuts me off in traffic, my initial reaction is to curse but then I say to myself "maybe he's rushing his sick kid a hospital right now. Who knows?" and my anger just evaporates.