TP6 Fine Tuner Tailpiece

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Riplead, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Riplead

Riplead New Member

I'd like to get one of these. What's your opinions on them, are they built well?

Even though they come with studs I assume they fit on the originals?

Dagger likes this.
  2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

They are awesome. One of the best ideas Gibson had in the '70's and relegated (mostly) to the dust bin by the psychotic need for the "everything was better in the 1950's" crowd to kill every good idea that didn't come from the Mind Of McCarty.

Very well made and will drop right onto it.

Dagger likes this.
  3. Dagger

Dagger Member

Hey Riplead good to see ya postin. As I said before fine tuning on the fly quick string changes and added sustain "for me at least" I think you'll dig it. Shop around because the price can very. Just a fun rant. 1 I mod most of my guitars to what I want em to sound like and look like. 2 I never think of resale value if I did I wouldn't play em "which makes no sense why keep it mint for the next cat who has it after you're dead"? 3 I don't beat the crap out of my guitars purposely but I play the hell outta of em so wear and tear such as scratches, little dings dents and paint wear are expected "you can't live in a bubble afraid to try things because you might get hurt, so your guitar shouldn't have to live in its case either"! 4 for me personally I develop certain bonds with my guitars but you will never get that without playing em why deprive yourself and your guitar of that bond! Is it just a buch of expensive wood metal and parts in a safe or is it the most amazing guitar you've ever heard "only one way to find out" Some people baby em and again to each there own and if it were a vintage model perhaps I would do the same, but my 2018 no matter how mint will ever garner the cash of a 60s or 70s sg so for me why bother play it till the paint falls off and a few years from now I can look at it and see myself in it and remember all the good times scars and all. But that's just me in a nutshell. Anyhow give the tp6 a whirl and tell me what you think bro?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  4. Riplead

Riplead New Member

Oh $hit, I'm excited now, lol. I love the fine tuners on my locking trem guitars, (been converting to non-locking though)
    I think that's so cool to be able to lightly tweak your tuning by the bridge on a hard tail guitar. I think I saw these years ago, but I played Super-Strats for so long, I forgot about them. They're a bit pricey ($159? at Musicians Friend) but I think I'm gonna go for it.

5. Riplead

Riplead New Member

Thanks gball!

6. Riplead

Riplead New Member

Damn I suck at using forums. I just noticed the "reply" link. :facepalm:

7. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

I had one on an SG Standard and I removed it because the TP-6 kills the sustain.
    Anyway it' s a nice Gibson part.

8. Riplead

Riplead New Member

Wow, I didn't think the TP6 would affect the sustain. Thanks for sharing.

9. DJGranite

DJGranite New Member

I personally don't notice any sustain loss, but hey, I'm just a guy on the internet with an opinion …

00k0k_fzZYfLwzXuD_600x450[1].jpg

for the record, I like having the fine tuners so easily at hand.

Demon Dave likes this.
  10. Dagger

Dagger Member

It's funny some people say they notice sustain loss and some say they notice increased sustain and some notice no difference at all. I myself am one who hears an increase in sustain. We must keep in mind that every guitar is different what works for one may not work for another the only way to find out is to try one but keep in mind it is a costly part, you could always sell it to recoup some money if you find it isn't your cup of tea, or avoid it altogether if the price seems unreasonable. Oh and just for kicks have you ever tried top warping the bridge on your sg? I've done it on my epiphone and I love it the strings feel loose and string bends are a breeze plus I can deck the bridge right to the body which I find increases the sustain substantially.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Demon Dave likes this.
  11. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

It' s easy to explain, the TP-6 is made with parts assembly, this is not the best choice for the vibrations.

Weight is not good for the sustain too.
    '

12. Dagger

Dagger Member

See it's weird I've heard heavy bridges help you gain more sustain and I've heard the same for light weight bridges. As to which is true? I really can't say but I know the subject has been mentioned many times. I'm no expert but it does grab my curiosity.

13. DJGranite

DJGranite New Member

these are all opinions, not facts.
    The best thing to do is try one... see what your opinion is, truly, your opinion is the one that matters most to you.
    Internet experts can most certainly be wrong(have a different opinion than you)

Demon Dave likes this.
  14. Dagger

Dagger Member

Yup that's what I said try it out if ya got the bread.

15. Dagger

Dagger Member

I just remembered I also have the tone pros locking studs on my tp6 perhaps this is keeping the sustain ringing. I'm telling ya this sg won't shut up!

16. Derald

Derald Member

So my question is the TP6 (and others like it), is that for precision tuning or intonation?

17. Dagger

Dagger Member

Precision tuning

18. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I have a 'cork-sniffer' buddy that talks 'em down as sustain robbers & tuning instability contributors BUT.. I have one on a 335S Professional that runs 2 original Dirty Fingers pups and...

Fibson 335S Deluxe Professional (2).jpg

not only this this guitar Jesus would play if he wanted to make some heavenly awesome guitar music! Not only did that guitar Talk & Sing & Sustain all day but it was also rock solid holding tune so.. need I say more?

I would say if you like the fine-tunability idea, go for it! Besides, if you buy a nice used one you can always recoup your money reselling it & their aint a lot of things in life you can say that about!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Dagger likes this.