Transpostition....

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Six String, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

I have taught several students in the past and have played with many players over the years. I have trouble understanding why there is so much difficulty with transposing. It has always been so easy to me. Is anyone else seeing the same thing or even better, is there anyone that has trouble? I recently heard of a young musician that complained he was having trouble singing the song in the key he had learned the song in. I suggested transposing it and it was like I was speaking Greek. Is this just a simple thing that you either get it or you don't? This, along with proper keying (not "well that's what they played it in...") and when to use a capo are to me mysteries that may generate some questions. Anyone? 8)

2. alazary

alazary Member

what is transposing?

3. Six String

Changing the key of a song to another....

4. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Just play the dots......

HAH!

I mean some keys are naturally familiar... goin from E to A to D to C to G to Bflat.... all seem ok, and I can do that pretty much on the fly. Bflats that biggie for piano players I guess... Anyway, goin to a key I'm not used to is sometimes a bit more tricky... or else its all barre chords and fumbles for a bit.

I think the trick is playing in different keys while you learn, not sticking with C or A or whatever. That way the sound of a 4th or 5th or whatever... the sound of the changes gets ingrained.

5. Six String

Very true CB, and in practice using all of the chording makes those that are hard, easier. Then when the time comes to play the song in a different key, the ease is there. Transposing can also help eliminate some of those hard to play chords.

6. alazary

alazary Member

my guitar teacher teaches me alot of songs in keys other than C so im getting used to memorizing them, and theres a key change here and there.

7. Six String

That's great Al and memorizing is very important along with the practice... What your guitar teacher is doing is what CB said. Learn them all. And from that you'll see a relationship between the chords develop. Degreed musicians could lecture (and do) on these relationships but the average musician wants to know just enough to be able to play his tunes. I never wanted to know why the chords fit, I just wanted to play. I would venture a guess that most guitarist that have played awhile, when asked what chords they are playing have to stop and think about it because they have done it so much that they are on "auto-pilot".

Back to the transposing, the change is very simple. Music is mathematical and so is transposing. Math and relationships are the key to the key. 8)

8. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Lol... thats why I play the dots....

Seriously again.... another key to transposing is learning all the notes, on all the strings. For me, it was ok, this is your E string... and that was the first memorization. Then the A, then the D... sorry to say, after that I got lazy. But the fretboard relationships that happen in transposition (ie just move from an "E" pattern barre chord to an "A" pattern, and move up two frets) are very easy if you learn ALL the notes

9. Six String

Yup. Just counting (or knowing is better) the number of frets between where you are to where you want to go will do it. In CB's example, if you want to go from an E to an A, the A is on the 5th fret. So you number is 5. so 5 frets up from the A (in E-A-B) will be a D followed by the E. So from E-A-B it becomes A-D-E.... and again the difference between each of them is 5 frets. This works on everything. 8)

10. Six String

What about it Al... Clear as mud? :lol:

11. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

definately on auto pilot here....and get around okay. oddly enough the GF is classicly trained and has a much harder time improvising, but stick some paper on a rack and she's on it! :D

12. Six String

The truly rare and gifted musician is the one that can do both. Give me enough time (like a week or two), I can figure out what the sheet of paper is trying to say, but stick a recording on and it always comes easy. Skids, sounds like the GF is the same, but on the other end of the scale. :arrow:

13. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

we are opposites sixxer....she's technical, i'm stream of consciousness!

but i do wish i had both! THEN i could take it somewhere!! 8)

14. Six String

(Six puts on the philosophy hat and spues....) But to each is born a certain ability and to maximize that ability is the quest. Knowing and realizing ones abilities... and limitations.... is the sure path to equal balance.

(Translation: Take what you got and rock on! 8) )

15. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

here...here..!!! (clink)

16. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

You get what you rock? Is that what your saying Six?

17. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

it's either "run whatcha brung".....or "use it or lose it".....can't decide which! :lol: :lol:

18. alazary

alazary Member

Yeah 6, i see waht your saying, and every sunday i get a little better at this stuff....
    Just wondering, you guys all read music, or tab or both?

19. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

music is meant to be read with the ear! (braces for onslaught) :shock: 8) :p

20. Six String

Vox, that's the beauty of philosophy... it can mean about anything that works for You.... 8)

Like I said, give me enough time and I can read music. Tab, I'm still scratching the head on (even after so many have explained how simple it is... maybe advanced old-school syndrome...) and the third you forgot is by ear. I learned guitar totally by ear and have tried to learn to others as I go.

"You get what you rock".... that about sums it up Vox. That's good...! 8)