Transpostition....

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Six String, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Stareater

Stareater Active Member

I guess, at some point, it's good to be able to read sheet music, but I think it's better to play how you're comfortable and learn the heavy stuff later. I learned how to play by ear and it's really just the past 6-7 months after going back to lessons that I'm shoring up the theory end of playing. For years, if you aksed me keys I'd pat my pokcet and say, 'Yep, still got 'em!" :lol: Now I'm starting to take an interest in the theory side of things as my playing as come along a lot further in recent years.

I guess I wanted to get to a certain point skill-wise before tackling stuff that I never learned and had little interest in. As a musician, you hit a point where hearing somebody say, "Hey, you can play real good!" doesn't cut it for you, and you want to become a better overall player in terms of both technique and theory. I'll always be an ear player at heart (or is that ear?), but I want to take every opportunity to better myself as an overall musician.

2. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Great point Stareater, I agree. Don't let any part of the musical learning process slow you down. Theory is partly thrust upon you when you have to learn the chords and scales in order to play anything that sounds musically correct. Same with learning how bar chords work.

But don't let the magic of playing from the heart get dissed because of paying too much attention to theory too quickly. The part of music that ALWAYS grabs me inside, is the part that comes from the HEART and no amount of theory can replace that magic.

I have invested a fair amount of money in some really awesome TAB books and most of which come with either a CD or a DVD! And I've also purchased a Tascam guitar trainer with repeating lick learner/phrase sampler. It allows you to pick out a tough section of music, then plays only that section repeatedly, and it does so at like half speed, and it does all that without changing pitch/key! I've actually used it about 3 times but did not really keep using what I learned so I lost it. I have learned to really love using a lick learner to learn tough licks. Can't recommend using that method enough.

So although I really could use some lessons and music theory, I have over 300 already invested in educational materials (and that lick learner) that I have "not" even tapped into yet. I'm sure I'll be picking up more and more music theory as I learn from the instructional materials, but the cool part will be that I'll learn the theory when I need to learn it "and" immediately apply what I'm learning!

3. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Sixstring
    In answer to why I don't play out with others, all of the above! I lack in every area you can think of, except I guess in hardware. In recent times I've grown fairly comfortable with that part of playing.

Life can be very hard, especially if you’re a slave to debt and financial struggles. I lost all my life's savings about 2 1/2  years ago (and also took a real beating on my back) because of a trucking accident, and I have not recovered from all that very well at all. I dread this time around looking for a new job as I am not at all situated well to getting a decent job.

Wanting to learn a new song or lick or riff is (to say the least) secondary compared to wanting to stay away from being evicted or facing legal action from unpaid debtors. So for me, you need to add the stresses of life as to why some people don't freely advance in playing guitar or playing out with others. That is by far the biggest reason I don't progress.

I'm trying to learn to change my attitude about the stresses of life tho. It basically started back when I first joined this forum. I made up my mind that despite the numerous troubles in life, I'm gonna get back into a forgotten passion, playing guitar, and I'm not going to give it up this time! So on one level I've really come along ways, because since then, I've been fortunate enough to buy a sweet Gibson SG, a 50watt Marshall tube amp, a pair of greenback clone speakers, a set of NOS tubes, a DV camcorder and a bunch of training materials. (!!!)

So I think I'm going in the right direction, but I need to start the actual student learning process. However at this point, I need to get a job and clean up my place before taking on dedicated projects. But I play guitar about every other day now! I just hope I don't go back to driving truck over the road, cause if I do, forget about playing guitar cept maybe a few times a month. And that's not near enough time to try to grow as a guitarist.
    :)
    You've been a very cool inspiration to me. Makes me even more glad I joined ETSG since meeting you and watching you play a gig.

4. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

:oops: :oops: .... I am not worthy......... :oops:

You are your own best repairman........... If you convince yourself you can't do something, you won't. Playing in front of people....? That's easy.... nothin but a thing! Learning a new song..... do it your way. Learning new stuff on the guitar....... you always are learning by picking it up. The most important thing? The fact that you do it. 8) 8) 8)

5. TNT

TNT Active Member

Get a Parlor or Classical guitar for the sleeper in the truck 1Way!

6. 1Way

1Way Active Member

That's a great idea TNT,,, I do have a little Brownsville(?) traveling guitar, electronic, for that exact purpose so I can at least keep my fingers somewhat in shape. Get me a Pignose amp and a headphone amp and I'm all set. Some driving jobs just would not hardly let any time to yourself, others were somewhat better. Never give up, you got to "Roll with the changes"... (REO Speedwagon!) Thanks for the encouragement. ;)