Trimming the fat?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Tobacco Worm, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

With the recent posts like the one on five guitars and discussing the need/desire for a certain number of instruments to fill every need, I sat down and studied what I'm doing. For almost two months now I've played nothing but my Strat through a Fender SS amp with no effects. Just the amp's reverb and OD alone with no effects or processor at all. And I'm quite satisfied with how this basic rig sounds too. It reminds me of when I started playing long ago back in the early '60's with a simple rig and was thrilled with just that. There's six other guitars sitting in cases or gig bags that are not played. Of the three remaining amps, I'm only using one. The other two rest beneath their covers only to be switched on weekly to keep the ele. caps healthy and the pots from becoming scratchy. But I play only one guitar and amp now. I've also got 8 pedals that sit in their boxes doing nothing too. This has become a pattern with me.

Remember, my last remaining years spent in the police department was that of a crime analyst. I constantly studied trends and patterns of criminal activity and applied that to isolate when, where, and who was going to commit a crime and I got pretty good at it. With enough data and study I was able to get it right nearly every time I applied myself to it. And now with my musical interest becoming more and more stylized unto my own sort of individual form I find that I no longer play hardly anything other than what I've mentioned above. The trend and pattern I'm seeing is that I have evolved away from using different gear and have gravitated toward the very basic.

Thus I have a few questions for our members. And you can be as honest as you wish too as I'm a big boy and really can accept criticism without acting like an idiot. Say what's on your mind, OK?

Does it really make sense to keep a modest stable of instruments and amps if they're not being used? As such, having more than I need, would it not make sense to sell these guitars and amps and thus give others the opportunity to experience a good musical instrument? Am I hording them out of some form of personality quirk or something? Or am I just being a foolish old man that's loosing his marbles and way too much time on his hands and comes up with these ideas? :dunno:

So tell the old Worm if he's off his rocker or simply transcending to a simpler time... (Wow, that sounded kinda weird huh?:naughty:)

Tazz3, Alex_SG and eS.G. like this.
  2. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, life is not a matter of beginnings and ends but a matter of cycles. Next month you could fancy one of your other guitars, or a raunchy dirt pedal. The following month you could be back to your Strat/amp combo again.

Trimming the fat feels like an attractive option but beware of sellers remorse! I feel like I could trim my own collection of "stuff" but I know full well that I'll be back to those things I put aside soon enough.

That said, maybe a little cash booster will be nice. I don't think you'll make a bad decision either way, but do think twice (or more!) before selling the more precious of your charges.

smitty_p, Wookiee, unklcrispy and 3 others like this.
  3. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Im the same way.ham radios,cars,ect.if ones good four must be better.but im 56 years old and realize im not gonna be a proffesional musician or play gigs so i dont let my OCD start on guitars.i got my one main guitar .its a 2006 SG Classic and its good enough.i do have a old 62 JR that i bought just to rescue it from the music store.i stays in its case and i play it once in awhile.i like Strats and 335s,Vs,Explorers ect but am not gonna buy none.i need to get more efficienent at playin what i got. But with that said i do got a Precision JR Kit comming cause ive always wanted a one pick up jr and a original costs to much.plus i like to work on stuff.i like to keep things simple to.so Worm Pick ur favorite two geetars and umload the rest.what the hell no use in them just collecting dust.i think sometime we find a hobby we like and then become horders.some of these folks like dbb and otheres are musicians or teachers playing outside the house and make use of all those guitars and amps and pedals. So ya i understand the hording thing and also understand the need for more than one insturment.hell either or is fine with me.what ever floats ur boat.im afraid if my JR Kit guitar turns out well the others will just collect dust. Its all good

Kris Ford likes this.
  4. JohnnyGoo

But crap worm on the other hand ive been obsessed with these Micro watt tube amps.i bought a Orange Micro Terror and it aint even got here and ive bought a Blackheart Killer Ant from my local music store.but i am gonna sell my two Rolland Cube amps.dont need all that stuff.im alot of help and contradictions huh lol.do what you feel is best man

eS.G. likes this.
  5. jrmullin

jrmullin Active Member

There are two main reasons to hoard gear. 1) You are a collector. When I was a kid I collected rocks, and then coins. Later I became interested in collecting German film cameras from the 1930s thru the 1950s, and I still have a modest collection. The collecting bug has now spread to guitars and other gear. I got up to around a dozen guitars before culling the heard to my present six. 2) You are chasing musical prowess through gear, perhaps in place of practice. I think I may be guilty of this as well.

I play music because I love it and not because I have career aspirations. Subconciously though, I think I sometimes seek out new gear when I'm feeling in a rut, as if it's these old crappy guitars that are holding me back...If only I had a (fill in the ax that gives you the most GAS) then I could really get something going here. There is what we understand intellectually (I've got plenty of good quality gear, so it's me that needs improvement) and what we feel emotionally (I WANT IT!!!).

So my advice is edit down to what you really need and get to work. That said, tomorrow is NGD! Ha!

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  6. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Wade, it is interesting that I sat debating with myself yesterday as to WHY do I have so many (I can only play one at a time--I don't gig--I don't play pro--its JUST me) and WHY was I working a deal with a guy to trade my 10 watt bass VOX practice amp for a big ol 60 watt Behringer .......yes because the 60 watt is "worth" more but I can't USE the power.....I don't NEED it...and I don't NEED all these identically pick-uped geetars either....

So I will trim some fat with ya!!! :applause: Pics will be taken and C.L. ads will be placed starting this evening, and we can go on a diet TOGETHER!!!! I just emailed the Bass amp guy and said "no deal" .....the thinning begins...................:applause:

Oh and to answer your parting question YES you are totally nuts, off your chum, insane in the membrane, bonkers, bongo, bonzo --wango and a tango and trust me I KNOW CRAZY----yer it my friend, card carrying---ain't it FUN?!?!? .....honest enough fer ya!?:applause:

Oh, uhm say.....Wade ol pal ol buddy, uhm.....what pray tell will become of the little Maestro? :hmm: I would be interested in keeping her in the family if (only if) she is one that is on the auction block. :) crap---more fat......I'll sell one to bring one yes thats it........Hey Goo, you wanna be in the BLACK SG club???????:naughty: PM me Baby!:thumb:

7. JohnnyGoo

Lol aw heck eSG ive got enough stuff.that OCD talkin again.let ur go on craigs list.would cost more than its worth to ship it up here .Now that being said,if Grey Ghost went to action aàahhh

8. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

You cheeky bugger.....not ready to let that one go just yet we are still in the honeymoon phase. :)

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  9. Tobacco Worm

Well Adrian, of course I'm nuts! Who in their right mind, when in the prime of their youth, would volunteer for the Rangers and Vietnam? :dunno: Oh well... it was an adventure. I liked it so much I stayed for another tour and a half. If that ain't nuts then I don't know what is.. :naughty:

I'm just having a hard time justifying keeping more than one or two guitars and three amps when I no longer gig and just piddle around now at home. Must be the Lakota in me coming out. In the old days a man had several ponies. One to hunt buffalo with. Another was his war pony. Then another was for just traveling around. But when he got older he just kept his traveling horse as he didn't hunt buffalo and didn't fight anymore. So I'm looking for my traveling/stay at home guitar I guess... Likely my Strat and that luscious Les Paul Custom.... The Maestro is still in pieces after that fiasco when my hands revolted on me and didn't wanna work right... Damn stroke still lingers a bit huh? But the rest I can live without. Shucks, I never even play 'em anymore. I'm sure I'll come to a decision soon enough.

eS.G. likes this.
  10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

This is a tough decision, and one I've faced as a multi-instrumentalist.

What is a hoard/collection and what is a working musician's set of instruments?

And, Wade, in your case, a retired working musician's instruments.

So it boils down to what you want, need, and MAY need.

Heket may be right, these things go in cycles. Perhaps keep the other guitar you like a lot and one backup amp?

11. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Crazy like a fox. ;)

And Dave I can tell you what hoarding is.......my wife has 11 dogs....cats...birds fish, and a PIG .......by Websters definition thats HOARDING (unless you own a Zoo)

I typically am not one to get to attached......but in the last 6 months....guitars appear....and then don't go away, they gate names, and upgrades, and paint jobs and ......the "flipping" still occurs, but the 1 in 1 out has slowed to a grinding halt....I blame Sweetness, she was the one that first got a name, and has been here the longest....dang nab it.
    I would like to blame it on Angus, but then I blame allot on the Lad so we will let it slide this time.

So we should form a G.A.A. group and meet on Tuesdays?

Alex_SG likes this.
  12. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

This makes me wonder which, then, is the hunting pony and which is the war pony!

13. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

This is an easy one for me.

I have three geetars living with me. The first one is a Squire Strat that was given to my grandson as a Christmas present a few years ago. He has lost interest in it and it lives on the wall in my office. I play it sometimes, but not often. My second guitar is Burla, my G-400. Third addition to the family is my Takamine acoustic. I really don't need any more than the G-400 and Takamine, but my grandson feels his Strat is safer at my house than it is with his 5 brothers and sisters at home, so it always has a home with me. I may be getting a custom made SG neck thru design guitar that I don't need, but I really want it. It won't cost $$$, just my time and creativity trading for a web site. My amp is a Mustang 1 and my only pedal is a wha-wha. So I think that since I don't gig and don't see gigging anywhere in my future, I believe that I have more gear than I need, but I ain't getting rid of any of it, so don't even think of trading me for crayons eSG :thumb:

eS.G. likes this.
  14. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

I agree with Anita and her comment about things going in cycles.
    As an example, I am only using 2 of my pedals at the moment, and trying to get as much out of them as I can, and also only playing the Faded Special.
    In another month, or week or couple of days, I'll probably swap guitars and use the EpiKreiger or P90 Special.
    Then another pedal or two will come out, and one of the pedals currently on the chain will be put away... See where I'm going with this?

15. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

You need more pedals?????:dunno:

16. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

17. Tobacco Worm

Anita, here's your history lesson of a dying culture of the plains....

The buffalo hunting pony was fast and able to outrun a charging bull if needed and bred with great running endurance. The war pony was stronger and trained not to fear gunfire. They were stronger since they were more likely to be injured and also often needed to carry another man across his flanks or withers when picking up a wounded man in battle. You never left a warrior behind in battle.

The horse I had when I lived on the Rez did double duty as my daily form of transportation and also carried the game I killed to feed my family and others. We no longer hunt from a horse nor ride them into battle. But many don't own cars or can afford gas if they did. But a horse grazes free so there a horse is still cheap transportation. In Texas a horse is a luxury and costs much to maintain. I don't have any horses now, but I still go and talk to the ones I used to have now and then were they're at down the road where a man with more money than me has them.

Heket likes this.
  18. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

I have never wanted to be a collector of guitars/ equipment. Maybe it's an excuse, but I acquired those things that allowed me to not rely on someone else's equipment. As newer amps came out with better improvements, I made the "upgrade" based on my needs. I now have equipment that is considered "vintage". Is it needed? Maybe not............ but I remember the hard work, gigs, personal sacrifice, desire/ drive that went into each and every piece. Everything guitar I own has a story behind it. Would I get rid of anything... well it is said that everything has a price, so I can't say no.

Maybe an important question to consider is whether you have to get rid of anything. I had been given equipment (to find a good home for) and made sure someone that was dedicated got equipment to get started. Likewise, determine if the monetary value is worth a sale or starting someone of on the right foot........ Just a thought.

Kris Ford likes this.
  19. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I tried to trim my collection from 8 to 6. Put the two I played the least on Craig's List. Every time someone wanted to buy one I found some reason not to sell it to them. I eventually took the ad down.

Karathas likes this.
  20. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

:)

NIce