Tru Oil over faded SG

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by deMelo, Apr 11, 2018.

1. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

So, I am going to give my faded 1961RI SG a glossy feel by applying a few coats of tru oil on it.

I am not gonna do this without learning more, of course, so a few first doubts:

- should I sand the guitar gently before I start applying the oil coats or do I just do it as it is?

- What should I use to polish the guitar after the pores have been filled and it's got enough coats? Should I sand it or just buff it?

If you did it yourself, pics would be highly appreciated

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

You will have to take the old finish off in order to allow the tru-oil to soak in. If I were going to take my faded to a "glossy feel"
    I'd use Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish. The cleaner is a mild buffing compound and will "shine up" the finish. The polish will preserve that shine.

rotorhead and syscokid like this.
  3. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Thing is, these '61RI SGs come in a "worn" finish, the grain is quite noticeable (unfilled wood). I thought of using virtuoso at first, but I read that in such finishes it would fill the grain and result in white flecks all over.

4. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

AFAIK, lacquer, even when it's fully cured (Does it ever really fully cure?), still gasses off. Applying a Tru-Oil finish over a lacquer finish might lead to a funky looking finish down the road. Peeling perhaps?

You might be better off with a refinish by sanding, cleaning, grain/pore filling, sanding, more coloring, gloss laquer. Probably not want you wanted to hear... :confused:

JazzyJeff likes this.
  5. syscokid

Ha ha... I would try this first. Maybe use a power tool to buff the polish.

6. Biddlin

Nitro dries, it does not "cure."
    lpmmpol.jpg DSCN1263.JPG sgj5.jpg
    Didn't happen to these. I've never heard that about Virtuoso before. It's cleaned up the left-over wax from the factory on my SGJ.

grausch and syscokid like this.
  7. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

You'll never get it full glossy that way, I'm sorry. Gloss finishes need flat, polished layers of finish, and you'll never get them without filling the grain. I've seen people that have tried to "polish" these faded SGs without filling the pores and it looks a bit goofy, IMO.

BTW, TruOil cures very, very, thin; you can't really fill the pores by applying layer after layer.

You might find this thread useful.
    I refinished a faded Flying V (same finish as your SG) with TruOil. It came out great, but I had to strip the nitro and fill the pores beforehand.

[​IMG]

grausch likes this.
  8. syscokid

Thanks Biddlin. How would you define "cure"?

9. Biddlin

"cure" implies a catalytic process with a set start, open and end time. A cured finish cannot be redissolved in its original solvent, unlike nitrocellulose which easily dissolves in lacquer thinner.

gasket and syscokid like this.
  10. Paully

Paully Active Member