truss rod cover

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Yetti, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Yetti

Yetti New Member

I just finished putting in a new unbleached bone nut, and I added a red truss rod cover to help make the color of the bone nut look better with this guitar.
    It's a small detail, but makes it a little more unique. :)

Attached Files:

JCarno, Didds and cerebral gasket like this.
  2. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Well-Known Member

Looks sharp! I dig it.

Did you put the new nut in yourself? Was there any major issues removing the old one?

3. Yetti

Yetti New Member

Hey, Thanks! Yes, I did replace the nut myself. The stock nut seemed to have some of the laquer finish sprayed over it, so I had to spend a little extra time cutting it with a razor blade before knocking it out. It was glued in pretty well, more than just a couple drops of glue holding the stock nut in place, so I had to whack it out with a block and hammer.
    One thing that really helped to fit it, was I bought some polishing compounds in coarse, medium, and fine. This allowed me to very lightly use 800 - 2000 grit paper to sand the nut perfectly flush to the sides of the neck, and then use the compounds to rub out all scratches..
    I have done some nut replacements on acoustic guitars that were much easier to remove than this SG nut, but other than taking my time in shaping it, it wasn't too major of an issue.

Attached Files:

4. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The ''SG'' truss rod cover and the '59 Historic are my favorite

5. Yetti

Yetti New Member

I was searching for truss rod covers, and bought this one from a place called Creamtone.
    I honestly didn't know the red color would be transparent, but after putting it on it seemed like being able to see the truss rod nut thru the red plexiglass was "different".. Is the transparency part of the historic look, or just the color and shape of the cover?

Attached Files:

6. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

You can ask Lonnie a small pickguard with the same tortoise material,

[​IMG]

7. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Well-Known Member

Good to hear! I know sometimes the nut removal takes a bit of finish with it, or leads to small finish checks... Good job!