Tuning to match a song

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by living room rocker, May 16, 2018.

1. living room rocker

living room rocker New Member

Just enjoyed a great thread about string gauge preference and why guitarists tune downward; special thanks to Bonzo21's input. Now, a specific example here; I'm fairly new to guitar and lovin' it. I play an Epi SG w/newly installed SD Pearly Gates. There was this one hit wonder 80's band called Autograph with a hit song called "Turn Up the Radio". I like to play along w/songs and figure out their key signature; this one has me stumped because nothing seems to fit exactly. An experienced guitarist friend who plays professionally tells me this song was a bit unusual; the key signature being "somewhere in between". Why would a song be composed "somewhere in between"?

Bonzo21 likes this.
  2. Saint Toad

Saint Toad Member

Actually met the guitarist, (Steve Lynch...?), and sat through one of his two-hand tapping workshops waaaay back when........
    Regarding rockers "composing" for guitar...hmmm, in my experience....they don't.
    Not trying to disparage your everyday rock and roll guitarist, (I am one of "them" !), it's just people, (especially riff based rockers), tune to the singer's voice, a drum, string tension, the humidity that day, etc...
    The guitar's idiosyncrasies make this easy because of the music produced....lots of 5th chords, 4th and 5th chord movements, and little patterns that are just moved around into other "keys".
    To me, it's just easier to tune to the recording, and then play along.
    Trying to find the "key" of a guitar riff-based rock'n'roll tune is just wizzing up a rope.
    A=440 just isn't something most amped up guitarists tune to religiously.

* Classical folk and neo-classical metal speed-freaks might be the exceptions.

-st

living room rocker likes this.
  3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

One hit? What about the amazing follow up single "Blondes in Black Cars" :rofl:

4. Saint Toad

Saint Toad Member

Oh no, I much preferred "Brunettes In Corvettes"........:shock::facepalm:

-st

5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Back in the day, vinyl had a limited playtime on each side. Sometimes tracks were slightly sped up on tape to shorten the playtime which increased the pitch and tempo.

As far as tuning slightly lower, but not quite a half step, look up 432 Hz.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  6. Didds

Didds Active Member

I've encountered this issue too while trying to play along to old AC/DC songs. It's always somewhere between a semi-tone and I can never figure it out