Um...I'm getting a 2015 Special

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by WDeranged, Jan 21, 2015.

1. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

Lots of hate for Gibson this year but tomorrow I'm ordering one :ohno:

I don't like the lack of choice with the G-Force, forcing it on buyers doesn't seem sensible to me, totally agree with the hate there...however, I like the actual concept so if it works properly I'll be impressed.

I like the brass nut and 'zero fret', always been curious about them and hopefully strings pinging in the nut will never happen again.

Mehh Les Paul's signature could be a bit better, I get the symbolism but at the end of the day it looks slightly cheap. Even so, assuming the guitar is otherwise decent I won't get too bummed about a wobbly signature. Also the weird hologram of Dr Evil (or whoever) is well out of sight :facepalm:

The lower frets and wider board are a bit of a gamble, I've often thought frets on my Faded are a bit tall but it never seemed to affect my playing. Dunno what the wider board will feel like til I get it, Gibson have upped the stock requirements for their dealers and all the places near me are skipping 2015 it seems...

I asked the dealer to pick me out a well matched body from the warehouse as I really don't like the kitchen cutting board look on guitars, pretty cool of them to provide photos and a discount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Congrats ---I hope ya love it!

3. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

Thanks, I seriously hope I love it, it's a lot of imperial credits :ohno:

4. Metal89

Metal89 Well-Known Member

I do like the look of those specials to be honest...besides the weird squiggly signature at the headstock, but they do look nice otherwise! :)

Crazy_8 likes this.
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Congrats. Read the G-force manual
    Setup and calibration are key. I've had no problems with mine and they just keep getting faster. Same with the Zero Fret. It is a setup tool. Your guitar will arrive setup for the string tension of the shipping strings. The last three Gibsons I have unpacked have been setup for pretty light handed players, imho, so they've been good for me, but I can see them being too close and light for others. Enjoy.
    ;>)/

6. gball

gball Well-Known Member

That thing looks awesome - congrats.

7. dampsneaker

dampsneaker Well-Known Member

Way to go and thank you for diving on the '15 Gibson grenade. Someone had to do it. Admirable trait being able to put your apprehensions aside like that and just let yourself go with the overlords' flow. Who knows if they've got something there or not unless someone takes the leap of faith and then reports back. Thanks for volunteering and congratulations. I'm guessing that you're not gonna be regretting it. It's not too hard on the eyes, that's for sure. :naughty:

8. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

I'm reasonably adept at setting up my guitars nowadays so hopefully I'll get it set up ok with 11's. Thanks for the G-force advice, hope mine works as well as yours :)

Hope you're right, if everything works as advertised and there's nothing otherwise wrong with the guitar I'll actually be very happy. The anxiety of buying a guitar online gets to me a bit, I'm fussy and guitars are a wonderland of OCD :ohno:

9. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I haven't played a 2015 yet but I'm I'm sure it will be a good guitar- a bit different from what we are used to, but still a good guitar.
    I'll be awaiting your opinion on it!

10. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

I don't care about the signature, or the hologram. I think the electronic tuners is a take it or leave it for me. Adustable zero fret is actually a good idea. Lower frets may be just fine, depends on just how low and how well they are crowned. I'd have to play one.

The wider neck concerns me, I've always found Gibsons necks to feel just right, so, again, I would need to try it.

So, in essence, I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be happy with your 2015.

Good luck with it, and be sure to report on the neck and frets.

Oh, and take some more pictures!! We like pictures.

P

11. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

Congrats, I think you're the first 2015 customer on here!

I notice that Zzounds has a Junior blem for under 7 hun, not a bad deal with a hardcase.

12. JakeD

JakeD New Member

Enjoy mate, the new 15s look great and I applaud Gibson for trying something new. I doubt there will be as many complaints surrounding the quality control under this new push for the high end of the market.

13. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

Beautiful Sunburst and Grain:wow:
    Really nice.

14. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member

Not sure why one would follow the other. Incorrectly cut grooves are the cause of 'pinging', not the material. Individual string heights won't help that either. All it really provides is an ability to mask uneven frets better, and the tonal effects brass brings to the table..

15. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

I just paid for the guitar, all I can do now is quietly obsess :ohno:

From what I've read the quality control is good this year, apart from G-force issues at least, we'll see.

I get what you're saying but I just like the concept, looks mechanically sound. I also like bright guitars, anything which adds a little extra zing through a humbucker should be fine by me, again we'll see.

16. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

Bigsby time !

That thing would be the cats ass with a new Bigsby mounted exactly how I did mine.

Check out my avatar.

They're really simple to install, 4 screws, they come with instructions.

H.

17. Graphic Autist

Graphic Autist New Member

Congrats on the new guitar! Hope you enjoy it!

18. Metal89

Metal89 Well-Known Member

Definitely let us know what you think once you get it and got a chance to play with it a little bit. I'm curious how they are :)

19. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

I've read that that nut's construction and function help out the G Force..now whether that's true or not, it's definitely plausible:hmm:.

20. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Also, I'd be damned tempted to swap that bizarre butterscotch colored plastic for black...

Bullfrog and shreddy bender like this.